Thread: BIG knock retard problem

Tuner

BIG knock retard problem

well ive been messing with my hptuners for a couple weeks now logging data and playing with trans pressures and ive notice that i get alot of knock retard on a daily basis, sometimes over 6 degrees. i tried putting 93 oct in the tank and it made no difference. so today i started pulling timing from the area it happens the most in, on the low octane spark advance table. i drove it and logged it and i only got about 1 degree of knock retard. i was happy and found the area i got that degree of knock in and reduced my timing in that area on the low octane table. test drove again, got almost 2.5 degrees of knock in about the same area. i looked at my data log and it said my highest timing in that area was 26 degrees about 3 degrees above the high octane table timing. i figured maybe this spark thing isnt pefect so its give or take a few degrees. i went back to high octane table and removed 5 degrees in that area and took my truck for another ride. this time i had over 6 degrees of knock retard around same area. the highest timing recorded in that area was 6 degrees over my high octane timing table. so that kind of blew the whole the whole not perfect give or take a FEW degrees thing i was thinking. ive suspected false knock from the start but when i saw that i was logging way more timing than what was on the high octane table it really started to throw me off. i dont know if theres another table that adds to the high octane spark that would solve the whole over advancment in timing thing. im lost right now, i would love to fix this knock retard problem. i dont want to sound like a complete idiot but ive kind of been noticing when i have my cabin fan on it seems to mess with my timing.. or maybe im just going crazy now. any help appreciated im new with the tuning process but have been a mechanic for 6 years. truck is o4 chevy silverado 5.3 4wd 4l60e. full exhaust, 80mm tb,slp intake, dare i say superchips tune.

Does it still have some kind of superchips tuner in there or installed? Sorry, not very familiar with superchips.

Advanced Tuner
    you need to copy high octane on low octane and tune until no further knocks are present.
    Please always change both tables during tuning. Then keep the resulting table as high octane and reduce -5 the whole low octane.

Prior to perform the above, please tune you car on the fueling as your LTFT are crazy lean...do it for MAF and SD...check for LS1 tuning guide on the web if you are not familiar on the process.
    Last edited by ingsteve; 02-13-2013 at 06:29 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ingsteve View Post
    you need to copy high octane on low octane and tune until no further knocks are present.
    Please always change both tables during tuning. Then keep the resulting table as high octane and reduce -5 the whole low octane.

Prior to perform the above, please tune you car on the fueling as your LTFT are crazy lean...do it for MAF and SD...check for LS1 tuning guide on the web if you are not familiar on the process.
    so what your saying is make high octane table and low octane table match with timing until the knock goes away and then reduce the low octane table after its all good. i guess i should have 93 in the tank while tuning the timing tables? thanks for the input. i need it

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sarg View Post
    Does it still have some kind of superchips tuner in there or installed? Sorry, not very familiar with superchips.
    yes i left the superchips tune on there and then put the hp over top. i have been wanting to go back and remove the superchips tune but havent got around to it and didnt think it was hurting anything so its still there as of now. superchip is obd pre programmed programmer. plug and "play". it has 3 tunes, 87oct, 93oct, and towing. plus you could adjust shift pressures with it alittle. i never noticed any difference with the 3 tunes it gave me but i did notice it firmed the shifts up a little. it was basically a big waste of money and i would never recommend getting one.

Tuner in Training
    Just as a general issue, have you done your knock sensors on the truck? Will cause major issues with tuning and shouldn't bother with anything until you change them. My truck was an abused 03 5.3 and it needed them, my father in laws is an 04 6.0 that was babied always dealer maintained and needed them, along with thousands of others as you may or may not already know.
    '03 Chev Silverado 5.3L
    '04 GMC Sierra 6.0L
    '07 Mustang GT/CS 4.6L
    '08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Tuner
    i have not replaced the knock sensors ever on this truck. i will state that once i matched my high octane and low octane tables the kr did go away in one area. but it still gets kr from time to time so im still messing with timing. also i have been trying to put more fuel in but its giving me a damn hard time.

Tuner
    ok so i have put back in place the stock timing tables for both low and high octane. and i get about the same kr. below are two logs, one im driving kind of normal, the other im doing alot of full throttle runs. one thing ive noticed is that it never seems to knock when im fully on the throttle. could this just be burst knock?

Advanced Tuner
    follow ls1 tuning guide, it's all written inside...

Tuner
    today i went to my burst retard delta air table. i zeroed it. i drove my whip. no knock any more. what i was expierencing was burst knock. although it would seem with burst knock enabled it allows more timing to be added quicker than when disabled. someone correct me if im wrong.