Thread: HP Tuners Gauge Cluster

HP Tuners Gauge Cluster

I'm putting together a first gen RX7 with a 5.3 iron block, turbo, and T56. Rather than messing with the hassle of running resistors between the GM harness and the factory cluster for speedo, RPM, ECT, oil pressure, etc., I would like to take a small laptop/netbook and use the VCM Scanner as a gauge cluster.

Default scanner config has RPM, speed, ECT, MAP, oil pressure, oil temp (via AC pressure hookup in harness), and AFR via wb on a 5v input.

Take a netbook with a 7" screen and mount it in the dash where the cluster used to be, and run a USB extension to the other side of the dash to hook up a keyboard, mouse, and flash drive to copy logs onto my big laptop to actually work on the tunes.

However, I'm coming up on that big snag... power. Do I really have to run 2 batteries? Every other thread I've read about permanent MVPI installs has been to get it out of the way- my interface is currently behind the dash of my GTO. Every other thread I've read about powering a laptop in-car has been because of short laptop battery life, long logging sessions, etc.

The best idea I've come up with is running a direct DC charger on a relay so it only charges the laptop while the car is off, but then you have to worry about killing the battery.

Am I left to my own devices, and/or risk frying the interface by running a charger full time?
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/M6/black 1 of 323
    Torquer V2 112lsa
    SLP LTs
    BC Racing Coilovers

Install a truck cluster. It will be easier to fit than a laptop screen

I have done many swaps and the cluster is not a big deal, you may be making it more difficult than it really is
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

I would rather not use a truck cluster. It's even less attractive than the original RX-7 cluster, would look out of place, and costs more than using the netbook I already have.

I might pick up a small deep-cycle battery from a UPS and basically boost my battery life. I was hoping someone had worked up something cool...
    Torquer V2 112lsa
    SLP LTs
    BC Racing Coilovers

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauq View Post
    I would rather not use a truck cluster. It's even less attractive than the original RX-7 cluster, would look out of place, and costs more than using the netbook I already have.

I might pick up a small deep-cycle battery from a UPS and basically boost my battery life. I was hoping someone had worked up something cool...
    I think the RX-7's is simple and clean. I like!

Right, but I don't want to have pick up a multimeter and solder in a bunch of resistors.

What I think I might do (and I realize I'm probably going further into an alternative solution than just running a truck cluster or something like that) is pick up a small 12v 8ah battery made for a UPS, and charge it using a small solar cell.

Only thing I don't know about is leaving a solar charger hooked up to an sealed lead acid battery...
    Torquer V2 112lsa
    SLP LTs
    BC Racing Coilovers