Thread: VSS Required?

Tuner in Training

VSS Required?

i have looked at a few harnesses in the after market for a 5.3 for a swap and i found a company that makes one with a ecm that does not require a VSS signal but uses engine RPM. Is this possable? i have read on here that a VSS was critical for propper tuning. any input is apprecated!

if it's an electronic auto you need VSS for the shifting. If its a manual it will work but a lot of the PCM's features use VSS as an input. Detecting when the vehicle is stopped or moving is used a lot for idle control. You can tune around this but it's not as good as having a VSS.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    yea I planned on using a non electronic trans I'm new to tuning so this swap was probably a big undertaking. lol but this forum is very helpful!

I've done a few differant PCM without VSS. The tuning end is at least ten times the work, mainly idle and blending idle and off idle tables.

Everyone I have added VSS to afterwards was an improvement.

I will never do one without VSS again! Just not as good and to much time to make run, idle and drive right.

HTH!

Tuner in Training
    Someone told me you can not run HPtuners without VSS, that it would make you run in the wrong parts of the maps. Running a TH350 and dont have a Speed sensor, is this gonna be a problem for a racecar?