Thread: Ugh- TCM Read failed

Ugh- TCM Read failed

Why is this such a problem with these trucks? I think once out of every 20 attempts, I can get HPT to read the TCM. All other times it reads "TCM Read failed at loc 74C80 Error: Timed Out"
    I have tried low speed, high speed, different laptops (2 of which I doubt can be overclocked by HPT)..
    Any software update or fix to this?
    Truck is an 04.5 LLY Duramax

Potential Tuner
    I am having the same issues. Have been on here searching multiple posts about timing out. It seems to download the VCM fine and finishes and when it starts to scan the TCM it times out everytime. Have switched the high speed on and off many times. Removed all the fuses mentioned on hear and still same error. Have tried scanning 20-30 times. Truck is a 2005 LLY Duramax. Any info on this would be great!!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    any aftermarket inline modules you have installed? could be virtually anything from a remote start system to a inline tuner module and anything in between.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    I've had the same issue, hopefully I won't have a problem writing. I've tried probably ~6 times, the last time I did it just to generate the info log to send for support... and it worked. It would always make it through the VCM and then in the TCM it'd either time out or say that access was denied. I have the slightly older generation, 03 LB7.

Potential Tuner
    No tuners, no anything aftermarket. Truck has onstar, stock Bose radio. I did have an EDGE Box w/Attitude Monitor on the truck a long time ago, but that was a piggy back system. I had a bully dog triple dog on it at one time also. But I returned the truck back to stock and sold it, and we loaded it into another truck and it worked fine!

Tuner
    the problem is you guys read right ahead after open the swith you need to wait about 5 seconds after opening the switch when the dash lights like traction control ans stuff turn off you can read it with no problems

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by witchertorque View Post
    the problem is you guys read right ahead after open the swith you need to wait about 5 seconds after opening the switch when the dash lights like traction control ans stuff turn off you can read it with no problems
    Did that also. Im assuming you mean plug interface cable into OBD II and then turn key on, wait 10-15 sec. i waited a minute. Then begin scan.

I performed this aproach and same problem. Is there a way to scan VCM and not the TCM??

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    By pulling the TCM Fuse(usually in the fusebox under hood).

Potential Tuner
    If you dont mind me asking, there is not a TCM labeled fuse.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Might need to physically disconnect the tcm then, if you are having an issue reading it its likely a wiring issue or something on the bus talking while our software is trying to talk with it.

Tuner
    i had that problem a couple of times my best solution was to disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes then plug back connect hptuner interface turn ignition to on position wait some 5 seconds then start the read

Ive never had one that wouldnt read after a few tries. Radio on, fan on, door open, it doesn't/shouldn't matter. Aftermarket devices may cause problems, but a stock truck should work fine. I always had the best luck with the "high speed" box unchecked. Similar problems happen with the scanning tool on the LBZs. I have to click the connect and disconnect button several times before it will establish a good working connection. Seems its just software being finicky.
    2006 LBZ Duramax
    5" Magnaflow turbo-back
    EGR blocked
    HP Tuned by yours truly

Senior Tuner
    I believe hpt is missing something in the communication it sends to put the other modules to sleep for a read/write. I have access to a tech2 and have been able to write with it when hpt will not.

Advanced Tuner
    try to sit on the driver seat when you read out............I know it sounds stupid, but on a customers 09 I can not read out no matter what as it times out every single time. It seems to switch off some voltages after some time. If I sit in it with closed doors, never had a single issue !

try it, got nothing to loose

Potential Tuner
    Finally got HPtuners to download VCM and finish. Had to unplug the two connectors going to the TCM. Performed in high speed with no problems!!