Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 99 Camaro Lq4 S480 Tune

Tuner in Training

99 Camaro Lq4 S480 Tune

I just finished up my camaro 6.0 S480 build and working on the tuning. Seems pretty good just a few things need to be tweaked as i'm new with all of this. My idle needs work its idling around 11.7-to high 12's and i made a couple logs but its tough to get a nice WOT log since its spinning tires at any speed even with just 7.25psi and 9 degrees timing. If someone could look it over and see if i have anything way off or could use help i would appreciate it. Thanks!

Heres a breakdown of the car
    2004 LQ4 out of a Denali
    TU2 Cam, ARP Rod Bolts, ARP Head, LS9 Gaskets, 2.5 Bar Map, SD, LS6 Intake, BBK 80MM TB, SLP Double Timing Chain, SLP Oil Pump, Powerbond Pulley, -8Feed, -6 Return, Fast Fuel Rails, 80LB Siemens 875cc injectors, Twin 255's, Borg warner S480 Turbo with Batmowheel Race cover 96mm 1.32ar (True Divided Housing/Twin Scroll) Tial 50mm BOV, Twin Tial 38mm Wastegates MVS, 31x12x4 Intercooler, Schedule 10SS Hotside All Fab, Hot and Cold side work Done by Ed Gildea, Stock Truck Manifolds, SJM ABS Delete and Line lock, Moser 12 Bolt Spool 33Spline Axles, 1/2 Moser Studs, Wolfe Anti Roll Bar, Strange Chromoly Driveshaft with 1320s, Billingsly Panhard bar, LCA's all Rod Ends, SLP 3 point Subframe Connectors, Spohn Adjustable Torque Arm, Trans Specalities PRO MOD SPRAG Th400 RMVB with a brake, ATI 9.5 Converter.

Tuner in Training
    any particular reason you are not using the boost enrichment in addition to the standard pe? your commanded afr in the last row of your power enrichment will be you commanded afr is all boost regions, if you are ok with that then ok, but most people use the boost enrichment tab also, the pcm will use whichever is the richest of the two..

ve table is seriously rich in non boosted areas and needs some attention,

while watching your log i noticed your scanner setup is not allowing the histogram to log over 105kpa, if i remember correctly, you need to delete the map sae pid and insert your 2 bar map, or what ever you are using to correct this... do a search on the topic. other than that i would leave timing alone for now and get that ve table squared away

Tuner in Training
    I have it changed since then. Havent driven it in a couple months because of the weather but i am new to tuning so i'll have to set up the be table i just haven't had much time to drive it lately. Here is what i had last in the car and a log

Advanced Tuner
    Gettin there.

Before you ever smooth the VE, first increase the precision. I usually go out to four decimal places before smoothing.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Z View Post
    Gettin there.

Before you ever smooth the VE, first increase the precision. I usually go out to four decimal places before smoothing.
    You see anything i need to work on in there? I haven't changed the BE table should i do anything with that or just use VE? Thanks for that idea i should of done that from the start. Make small changes instead of large ones like i was doing.

Tuner in Training
    Anyone.....

Advanced Tuner
    As you've found out, BE isn't necessary. I would just set it the same as PE and call it good.

You're getting some Burst Knock, so it's up to you whether or not you want to lower those thresholds.

How does your car start and warm up on cold days? Reason I ask is because your whole Open Loop EQ Ratio Table is set to 1.0.

Tuner in Training
    As you've found out, BE isn't necessary. I would just set it the same as PE and call it good.

You're getting some Burst Knock, so it's up to you whether or not you want to lower those thresholds.

How does your car start and warm up on cold days? Reason I ask is because your whole Open Loop EQ Ratio Table is set to 1.0.
    Ya I should take care of that bk I'm sure its extremely bad to have!

It starts alright on cold days could be quicker should i change the eq ratio?
    Ill try adjusting and see how it starts
    Last edited by Camaro9969; 03-20-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Fill the table with stock values and keep it 1.0 from 140 to 220*.

Tuner in Training
    Fill the table with stock values and keep it 1.0 from 140 to 220*.
    Awesome thanks just took care of it

Tuner in Training
    I'm being a weasel and going to use your tune to hopefully get my setup fired up. Have been stuck out of town for a few months, but hope to get home and get it turned over soon. Car looks great, I will stay tuned for updates and new videos. I'm jealous!! nice work

I looked at it for injector settings. It helped out some, although I decided to go slightly different direction on a number of items. Regardless it was helpful for a first start tune.

Tuner in Training
    Just working on the idle again and with those settings it starts terrible. I put Open Loop EQ Ratio all back to 1.0 and fires right up quickly not sure why.

Mine starts perfect. Not even a hint of a hesitation. I keep my open look eq ratio at 1.00 in the area it idles at as I want it to idle at 14.7:1 and it seems to like it. I would have to look back to see what I did for the areas of the map where it is warming up.

Tuner in Training
    Quick question for you guys. So now i got my car running the tach isnt working. I scanned the car says bad cam sensor. It worked perfect before so its a little weird. But the car doesnt start very well most times and i know thats a cam sensor problem. Thing is the RPM reads on the hp tuners scanner. So is that a cam sensor problem or something else? i'm going to pull the intake and check for some loose wires

Tuner in Training
    Well changed cam sensor didn't help code came up. Just unchecked the box for it and now tach works perfect. But car is not starting smooth takes three times need to figure out what's going on
    Here's some pictures of the finished car not that it matters for tuning but figured why not know what I'm asking help with.

Tuner in Training
    Got the cam sensor all set so i changed to 3.08 gears and obv my speedo is way off. I'm trying to calculate for the tire height 26.4 (18's) my hoosiers are 27" and my gear ratio 3.08 but it wont let me "Undo" or "Commit" anything. am i doing something wrong?

Tuner in Training
    Gear change all set. WOT tuning done So easy haha its the drive ability tuning that gets annoying. Also need to get my idle surge down a bit and my injector pulses better than 1.9 that they are at

Tuner in Training
    Ran today in the blazing heat 100° ran a best of 10.02@137 and couldn't get much traction. The last 2 passes spun hard and ran 139mph. Car was 15psi 15° timing not bad for the first time out. Pump gas with a little 100 octane

Boost doesn't get much flatter than this

Couldnt of done it without BlownBlueZ06!! Very helpful guy helped me with a ton of issues i was having and the car made 5 passes all were perfect !!! I highly recommend anyone who has troubles to contact him. Always set aside time to help me out with my tuning between my own schedule. Thanks again Bret!!!!!

wow! very impressive car!