Thread: 5.3 swap?

Tuner in Training

5.3 swap?

hello,
    I am in the middle of a rock crawler build and Im at the point of choosing a powerplant. I want to go with a 1999-2003 5.3, my question is can i use HP tuners to turn off or remove things i dont need and use a factory computer and harness to run the engine? I will be running a manuel shift turbo 400 as a transmission. Any input is appreciated thank you!

Advanced Tuner
    Yes
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Tuner in Training
    thanks!
    i thought so but thought i would ask on here. will it make a difference if i have a computer for a 4l60e or do i need to locate one for a manuel tranny?

Tuner in Training
    No, they never really had manuals in those years. Just use the same computer, mod your harness, flash out the vats, the emission codes along with the trans codes in the ecm. theres a place in the trans section that you can switch it to a manual, or a non-electric trans also.
    Hope that helps.
    Rock on!

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the info!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by triple4x4 View Post
    theres a place in the trans section that you can switch it to a manual, or a non-electric trans also.

Rock on!
    Can you elaborate on that? I don't see that option. I'm doing something similar.
    Thanks

Tuner in Training
    go into the program, click on the trans tab at the top, next to engine diag, click on the Auto shift properties then its in the general tap with a pull down to select the trans.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by triple4x4 View Post
    go into the program, click on the trans tab at the top, next to engine diag, click on the Auto shift properties then its in the general tap with a pull down to select the trans.
    Thanks, but I must be missing something. I'm not seeing that option. This is what I get when I click on the general tab. I don't think it would make a difference, but I have not licensed this pcm.

Subscribed.

What about auto tranny swaps for 4l60E to 4L80E? Can you swap segmants?