Thread: GM PCM and HPT to run Nissan V-8?

Tuner in Training

GM PCM and HPT to run Nissan V-8?

I had this posted on the HELP page but got no reply, maybe here would be a better place?

Ok, for you guys on the board with VERY open minds, I am hoping to get your opinions on which ECM to use on this project.
    I have tuned a few GM products with HPT, and would like to use a GM ecm and HPT to control the Nissan V-8 in my shop car project.

Here is the info on the motor,
    4.5 lt
    Dual overhead cam
    VVT on the intake cams (simple on-off, not continuously variable)
    45mm ITB setup
    Firing order same as LSx except for 2 and 3 are swapped

My thoughts on converting include...
    GM crank sensor and trigger wheel (bolted to the harmonic balancer).
    1 bar enhanced SD (with Alpha-N)
    Adapted GM harness

Any input would be great. Positive only please.

Thanks.
    Rory

I think a GM ECU would have trouble controlling the VVT, but if it is possible to lock it out there should be no problem as long as you can give the ECU the correct cam and crank sensor signals.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    there are some GM ecu like E67 that has variable cam control. but not 4 cams.

Tuner in Training
    I think it could be done. Get the correct crank signal and run the cam timing off the exhaust. If you could use the vent solenoid control or possibly use the a/c rpm cut off to control the vvt if it is designed to only turn on and off at a certain rpm. IF something like that would work you could run it on a 411 pcm.

Advanced Tuner
    I like acehaag's idea, if the swap wont have AC then using the AC controls to switch the VVT on/off would be a trick way to do it. Plus you wouldnt have to do much more than just running the wires to the VVT solenoid(s), maybe through a relay (depends on what signal the VVT needs).

You might be able to use an E67 off a Northstar V8 as they have VVT on the intake and exhaust, but Im not familiar with them.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    Great info, thanks guys.

So, if I understand correctly I can purchase any E67 PCM and load a new OS into it, for instance the Northstar V8 OS?

Luckily the Nissan VVT is simply an On/Off affair, I will be using A/C but don't feel I will need the PCM for feedback or control.

Anyone have a pic of the cam sensor off the Northstar?

Thanks again.

Rory

Advanced Tuner
    You cant simply full flash an E38/E67 (or really any Exx ECM) with HP Tuners (or anything except a Tech II I believe). So if you want to run a Northstar V8 OS, either buy an ECM off eBay with the correct OS loaded or buy a compatible E67 (some years do not interchange, be careful of that) and have either a dealer or shop with a Tech II flash it to the correct OS.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned