Thread: tr6 pluges trouble

tr6 pluges trouble

Has any one had any trouble running tr-6 plugs with 0.35 gap. useing ls coils part number 12570616, D1SC blower 14 -15 pounds of boost. 9.3 compression. under load it starts to back fire out the exhaust then just looses power let off gas comes back to life. buddy of mine said he has had this happen on a few cars and had to bring the gap down to .025. I have never had this happen at this boost level, he said its rare but if it comes up on boost to fast with some combonations it has happend. on the data logger when it happens nothing shows up. fuel pressure stays good and injectors are only at about 20 percent duty when it starts starts to happen. air fuel still reads about 11.5 and the plugs look good even tryed a new set. Thanks for any input.

engine is 383 lt1 9.2 compression camshaft is 218/ 230 at 50
    backfiring starts to happen about 2400 rpm at 150 kpa the more you lean into the throttle the worse it gets until it just quits, if you ease off the throttle ie, back the boost down it starts to run fine again
    Last edited by tune time; 01-10-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tune time View Post
    Has any one had any trouble running tr-6 plugs with 0.35 gap. useing ls coils part number 12570616, D1SC blower 14 -15 pounds of boost. 9.3 compression. under load it starts to back fire out the exhaust then just looses power let off gas comes back to life. buddy of mine said he has had this happen on a few cars and had to bring the gap down to .025. I have never had this happen at this boost level, he said its rare but if it comes up on boost to fast with some combonations it has happend. on the data logger when it happens nothing shows up. fuel pressure stays good and injectors are only at about 20 percent duty when it starts starts to happen. air fuel still reads about 11.5 and the plugs look good even tryed a new set. Thanks for any input.

engine is 383 lt1 9.2 compression camshaft is 218/ 230 at 50
    backfiring starts to happen about 2400 rpm at 150 kpa the more you lean into the throttle the worse it gets until it just quits, if you ease off the throttle ie, back the boost down it starts to run fine again
    for anyone who runs into this problem or cares just to let you know even though the plugs had less than maybe 200 miles on them and they had good color the few passes
    On the dyno when it was rich killed them I put new ones in same gap and it runs fine now
    I guess in ngk plugs really are not very forgiving or durable

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah I wouldn't put an NGK plug in my lawnmower LOL!! If they ever get fuel fouled they are junk.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Tune time thats the same thing I said in the other thread.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41821

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Tune time thats the same thing I said in the other thread.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41821
    Yes I seen that ben thanks, I was just conferming. what seems to be the plug of chose that most guys have found to work well with the blower cars

I have AFR heads so I have to use a gasketed plug, I run Autolite 3922 or 23 on my setup or similiar setups.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Must be an LT1 thing with plug placement or chamber design because I've never had a misfire issue on a LSx engine. All the LTx car's I've done have had fresh plugs so no issues there either.

I prefer NGK plugs due to the ease of reading them for timing marks. I would move to a colder plug too. TR6 is hot.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Must be an LT1 thing with plug placement or chamber design because I've never had a misfire issue on a LSx engine. All the LTx car's I've done have had fresh plugs so no issues there either.

I prefer NGK plugs due to the ease of reading them for timing marks. I would move to a colder plug too. TR6 is hot.
    I think you may be rite, I pulled 4 of the plugs last night just to take
    A quilk look only has about 20 miles on them they look good but the ground
    Strap did seem to look like it was a tad on the hot side ill keep an eye on it
    When I make a few dyno pulls. Thanks for the input though guys. Should
    be on the dyno tuesday

I've not been inside many LTx's personally, just mainly tuned them. However take a close look at the cylinder head and see if there is a flat pad next to the taper part of the seat. If there is I would try a gasket seat plug. Beyond popular belief all LSx engines I've seen to date work with gasket seat plugs as well. Don't know about LTx though. I'll try to find a stock LTx head from a buddy and see if the gasket plugs fit correctly or not.

Good luck on the dyno.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400