Thread: New set up, LD9 with 086 HO head

Tuner in Training

New set up, LD9 with 086 HO head

I posted in the intro section last week. I have been searching around, definitely a lot of info here.

I had been running a 2000 Grand Am with a 2.4 Twin Cam. Bolted on the M45 GM supercharger. Worked great with factory reflash.

I have now installed a rebuilt motor. Bottom end is built with eagle rods, .020 over wiesco pistons, crank kit, water pump, timing chain, and a 2.3 oil pump.

Head is an 086. Fully rebuilt. Much larger than old LD9 with more aggressive HO cams.

Bolted on a bigger SC. M62 on a Vulcan intake. Lastly added an LS1 TB.

I have been fighting vacuum and pressure leaks but think I have it all installed properly now. Until yesterday it would start, run for a few seconds then started advancing timing until RPM's were too high and I shut it off. Last time it was running it idled normal until this SES light came on. p0300.

So after tightening all the intercooler pipe fittings (last thing I did) it now will not start.

I did buy a license from a fellow enthusiast so he has a working cable. But now that I need his help it sounds like he may not be able to do the job. Otherwise I will need to learn to tune or find a capable tuner.

Problem I have is I do not know enough to even ask intelligent questions.

One question I do have thou. Could my current tune be keeping me from starting with all the engine changes made?

Thanks,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 2kse View Post
    I posted in the intro section last week. I have been searching around, definitely a lot of info here.

I had been running a 2000 Grand Am with a 2.4 Twin Cam. Bolted on the M45 GM supercharger. Worked great with factory reflash.

I have now installed a rebuilt motor. Bottom end is built with eagle rods, .020 over wiesco pistons, crank kit, water pump, timing chain, and a 2.3 oil pump.

Head is an 086. Fully rebuilt. Much larger than old LD9 with more aggressive HO cams.

Bolted on a bigger SC. M62 on a Vulcan intake. Lastly added an LS1 TB.

I have been fighting vacuum and pressure leaks but think I have it all installed properly now. Until yesterday it would start, run for a few seconds then started advancing timing until RPM's were too high and I shut it off. Last time it was running it idled normal until this SES light came on. p0300.

So after tightening all the intercooler pipe fittings (last thing I did) it now will not start.

I did buy a license from a fellow enthusiast so he has a working cable. But now that I need his help it sounds like he may not be able to do the job. Otherwise I will need to learn to tune or find a capable tuner.

Problem I have is I do not know enough to even ask intelligent questions.

One question I do have thou. Could my current tune be keeping me from starting with all the engine changes made?

Thanks,
    Craig

have you tried logging it during a start up to see what its doing?

it might be getting to much air and going lean and then just shutting it self down? never looked at a grand am tune so im not to familiar with it
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Until yesterday it would start, run for a few seconds then started advancing timing until RPM's were too high and I shut it off. Last time it was running it idled normal until this SES light came on. p0300.
    what rpm do you consider too high?

p0300 is a random misfire, maybe cause by the advanced timing?

maybe your desired air load table is too low at idle causing the timing to advance?

does it only do this when idleing? have you tried giving it some throttle to see what it does?

got a log or current tune file you can post? if not then get both and post both.
    2008 Sky RL

Tuner in Training
    When it last started it started at 2000 and quickly dropped to 1200 (this seems normal to me when cold). After 20 seconds it started advancing timing and RPM's jumped to over 3500.

I did give it throttle, RPM increase even higher.

Current tune is a dealership GMSC reflash. When I get the scanner back on I will get both and post. Thanks for the input, I am now learning enough to know I don't know enough yet.

Low air load table, hmmmm.

Thanks for the input, I am now learning enough to know I don't know enough yet.
    were all like that when it comes to the lnf lol.

once you get some logs and a tune posted thatll help out a lot. hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in and help more then.
    2008 Sky RL

Senior Tuner
    Should still start and run.
    Start with the basics (fuel spark injector pulse) then check mechanical install like vacuum leaks.

Tuner in Training
    Nice set up! That 086 head and HO cams will help you net some good HP/TQ.

But yes start first with fuel, spark, etc. as mentioned above. What injector constant are you running? Stock GMPP injectors?

Tuner in Training
    Been injured and sick all week. Getting back to it today. Air, fuel, spark. Gonna throw my old PCM in to see if it will fire. I can't imagine it fried but you never know. Going to check ignition wiring after that, then injector wiring.

Thanks, I expect it to be a strong set up, once she's running and tuned. Still using GMPP injectors. Might have to upgrade. No idea about "injector constant". Remember I am a total novice.

I'll be back with an update.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    I don't know if this is a quick enough swap to be worth your time, (your opinion only) but mabey try the stock throttle body or whatever one was in use while the car ran "fine". Cool setup. Good Luck!

Tuner in Training
    I finally found a wiring problem, vss. Got that fixed. Idles down now. Still using listed setup.

Got a new problem now. Brand new clutch slave is pissing out the bottom of the tranny. I'll be back with an update.

Tuner in Training
    Wanted to give an update. Car will idle at 850 rpm. It is throwing a p0300. When I am cruising with any load the motor seems to calm down. The codes will disappear until I slow or stop. I can watch the timing and it jumps between 0 degrees and 30 degrees at idle. Like it is really fighting to keep running. And when it does stall it seems flooded and will not start for 3 to 4 minutes. Even when cruising it sure seems like it needs something. No real power and a misfire.

My motor builder wants to put it on the wideband and do some tuning. As soon as I can work a time I'm gonna slowly drive over to get hooked up. I'll be back when I get more info.

Wanted to give an update. Car will idle at 850 rpm. It is throwing a p0300. When I am cruising with any load the motor seems to calm down. The codes will disappear until I slow or stop. I can watch the timing and it jumps between 0 degrees and 30 degrees at idle. Like it is really fighting to keep running. And when it does stall it seems flooded and will not start for 3 to 4 minutes. Even when cruising it sure seems like it needs something. No real power and a misfire.

My motor builder wants to put it on the wideband and do some tuning. As soon as I can work a time I'm gonna slowly drive over to get hooked up. I'll be back when I get more info.

Without watching the air fuel it is hard to say, but my guess is the timing is all over because the fueling is off. Get the idle fueling right timing will settle down and idle better.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the input, that's sure what I hope.

Potential Tuner
    did you ever get the set up running good? i have almost an identical set up but w41 cams. i was wondering if you could share your tune, so i get something to start with.
    let me know, thanx