Thread: confusing 02 readings wideband and narrowband

Tuner in Training

confusing 02 readings wideband and narrowband

hey guys, i tuned the ve on my ls1 using my innovate mtx-L wideband, all good whilst in open loop, when i put it back into closed loop all the fuel trims went negative from around -10 > -20 and my wideband was reading it at about 16.8 afr, its as if the narrowbands are wrong, or does that just not happen?

Make the 02's happy with Fuel trim tuning, leave the WB for WOT.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Make the 02's happy with Fuel trim tuning, leave the WB for WOT.
    Sometimes. Not always. Narrowbands need a specific temp and pressure range to be "happy", if you are outside of these ranges chances are your trims will not agree with your wideband. You'll often see this at low engine speeds and flows and exaggerated by larger diameter primaries and moving the O2s to a different temp/pressure range. Depending on what setups were are talking about here, sometimes some educated guessing is required or different instruments are required.

Not a fan of blindly following narrowbands when they aren't setup as intended or are quite old. In fact never blindly follow any sensor if it doesn't make sense.

Narrowbands need a specific temp and pressure range to be "happy", if you are outside of these ranges chances are your trims will not agree with your wideband.
    I agree with that, the WB usually needs to be warmed up too from what I have seen to read correct as well.

But I will say I have seen time and time again tuning with the WB only to be off quite a bit when turning on CL. I know Banish says you should model the system using the WB, but sometimes they don't agree and the 02's are going to adjust.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C