Thread: Complete newbie to HPTuners & need some help

Potential Tuner

Complete newbie to HPTuners & need some help

I'm new here & looking for advice. I used to use EFILive a little but sold it due to lack of help. I'm getting close to wrapping up my 5.3 Fox body build & have some questions about how to get this thing to light up right away. The engine is a completely stock 5.3 out of a 2001 Silverado. I have absolutely no emissions equipment on the car. The only changes I really made are the stock LS1 intake & 98 LS1 injectors. I'm going to use the truck MAF also. What changes need made to fire the car up? I ordered a standalone harness from a sponsor on LS1Tech & am borrowing HPTuners from a guy I know. The PCM is the 411 type from the 01 Silverado. If I like HP Tuners better than the other software that I previously had, I plan on buying the Pro & learning what I can.

Advanced Tuner
    We are going to need a little more information but right off the bat you are going to need to...

1. Turn off security. It's under system, VATS, set it to none.

2. Since you are running LS1 injections you will need to download a stock hpt file from the repository and copy over the injector data. (however, you didn't state what type of fuel system you are running so I can't say exactly what you will put in for flow rate vs KPA)

3. Turn off everything related to HO2S sensor 2, located under the Engine Diagnostics tab.

4. Set your correct gear and tire size in the Speedo, gear/tire calc tab.

5. Disable cat over temp. Under Engine, fuel, COT, lean cruise. Refered to as COT, set to disable.

Assuming you have a 4L60E with a properly working VSS, your running an electronic thottle and you have your fans wired through the PCM you can move on to tuning. Once you have all the proper "known" values in place it should start and run fine.

5. You are going to want to tune the VE and maf tables since they will now be incorrect. The VE will be slighly off from your change of intake manifold, MAF from changing your air intake.

Might have missed something since this was off the top of my head and I can't see exactly what you have but this should get you started.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Potential Tuner
    Ok, here are all of the specifics of the swap. The 5.3 & PCM are from a 01 Silverado, the PCM is of the 411 style & is also a cable operated throttle body that was on the 5.3. The intake, fuel rails & MAP sensor are from a 99 LS1 Camaro, with 98 LS1 injectors. My fuel system is a 255lph intank pump running into a 02 Vette fuel filter/regulator. I'm also using 01 LS1 fans & radiator. Also the 5 wire truck MAF.

This is where it's going to get tricky! I'm also using the Ford T-5. I did this for a lot of reasons but won't get into that here. I've read that I do want a VSS signal to the PCM, so I will also be using a Dakota Digital converter (SEN-01-2) to give me a 8k PPM signal. The Dakota Digital unit is a pass thru for a cable, but I may just use a 99-02 F-body cluster if I can calibrate the speedometer correctly. If that won't work, I'll use the Mustang cluster with the cable speedometer & adapt Ford sending units to the 5.3 to make the stock dash work. I DO NOT want aftermarket gauges in the car.

Advanced Tuner
    yes you do want a vss signal, otherwise you will have stalling issues. Since you are using a manual I would get timing tables, throttle cracker/ follower and other idle air control tables from a manual as well.

You might have the option to select a manual trans. If you do it will be under transmission, auto shift properties, general. Set it to manual. If not you are going to have to also get rid of all the automatic trans related DTC's.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

This is good info. Also i can build you a standalone harness. Im also on ls1tech.

A 5 speed truck file might be a good starting point if you can find one. Modify the tables listed above and you should be good.

Was it pretty easy to adapt the t5 to the ls motor?