Thread: Same DTC on two different NW 102's.

Same DTC on two different NW 102's.

What's up guys? I need some people to bounce a few ideas off me to help me diagnose this problem. A 2007 Chevrolet Silverado, V-Max has a violent and what seems to be un-tunable surge, caused from the TB opening and closing itself from 20-28% TPS with steady accelerator pedal input. Idle is fine until you blip the throttle then sometimes it undershoots and overshoots commanded idle speed because it opens too far then closes too much. You would think that'd be a BRAF issue but I can't nail it down no matter what I change.

With two different Nick Williams (one old C5 style, and one new style) They both surge like this and both throw the same code.

It comes up as a P2119, description: Throttle Actuator Control Throttle Body Range/Performance. Whatever that means.

If you install an LS3 style TB it can be tuned to run just fine, but as soon as you stick one of these puppies on it you either have idle or WOT.

I have the ETC Scalar set at 7158 so I'm not really sure what's going on.

Does anyone know if the throttle body wiring pinout is different between the trucks and say..... a 2010 Camaro?

The tune is attached and is far from perfect but this issue is making drivability tuning impossible.

Thanks guys,
    -Robbie.
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 12-20-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Have never used a NW TB ... so no direct experience with these.

You are running a 2007 truck E38 OS (HPT upgraded). The E38 will be programmed for a truck APP and TB. With the Corvette - 2006-2008 TB had a silver blade, and had unique programming. In 2009 the Corvette switched to a brass blade - with new programming.

The problem with identifying the truck TB is that they all seemed to have a brass blade, but followed the same year model compatibility / programming "groups" as with the Corvette.

Your 2007 truck E38 and APP are designed to work with a 2007-2008 truck TB.

If your NW TB is based on use with 2009+ programming - this would cause a problem with your 2007. Also, if the NW TB is based on the Corvette TB (any year) this may cause a problem if used with truck components.

The TB pinouts are all the same ... the APP pinouts differ though ...

Again, just food for thought ...

Hey Shrek, thanks for chiming in. You're exactly on the right track.

NW stated that this TB was for 09+ electronics. After piddling around with it tonight I finally said screw it and flashed the truck to stock and started all over again.

Get this. I didn't touch the ETC scalar at all. It's currently set at 4552.50, I just slightly changed startup airflow and BRAF and presto it's driving like a champ. I noticed that unlike most GM vehicles, the ECT Airflow Multiplier works in decimals over a whole number (1-1.5) instead of partial numbers (~.5) I believe this plays a major role in how the TB acts. Any change of the scalar sends this thing off on a rampage as well.

Now though I'm just having trouble making it understand which table is idle and which is High Octane. (If you mat the gas, the timing goes to -20*)
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Hi, first of all, MAP A under throttle semms pretty weird. It should be something like you see in MAP B.

And RAF 1600 RPM and up at 0 are not a good idea ...

7150 for scalar is pretty spot on and should stay like that

You seems to run pure MAP ?
    Why not MAF ?

Let me known if it help

Seb

EDIT: I just see that the tune seems to be scaled 50%. Try to scale the area scalar 7150 by 25% , that should give you around 5250 or so. And then correct the RAF accordingly to the 5l eater methods.I'm not certain why, but each time you scale a tune, you have to scale the area scalar by half or the same % that you have scaled the tune to run like a champ.
    Last edited by Sébast19X; 12-21-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    '08 Black Z06
    PCM Tuned, LG super RAM, AR Headers, Hoosier DR2 295-55-15, MSD Atomic air force intake, Iceman 7.0 cam

Best N/A E.T. : 8.836
    Best N/A Mp/h : 159.75
    DA for this pass: 0'

Remember, for timing, you have scaled the tune.

seb
    '08 Black Z06
    PCM Tuned, LG super RAM, AR Headers, Hoosier DR2 295-55-15, MSD Atomic air force intake, Iceman 7.0 cam

Best N/A E.T. : 8.836
    Best N/A Mp/h : 159.75
    DA for this pass: 0'

Quote Originally Posted by Sébast19X View Post
    Hi, first of all, MAP A under throttle semms pretty weird. It should be something like you see in MAP B.

And RAF 1600 RPM and up at 0 are not a good idea ...

7150 for scalar is pretty spot on and should stay like that

You seems to run pure MAP ?
    Why not MAF ?

Let me known if it help

Seb

EDIT: I just see that the tune seems to be scaled 50%. Try to scale the area scalar 7150 by 25% , that should give you around 5250 or so. And then correct the RAF accordingly to the 5l eater methods.I'm not certain why, but each time you scale a tune, you have to scale the area scalar by half or the same % that you have scaled the tune to run like a champ.
    What's up Seb,

I noticed that as well. When comparing another 2007 Chevrolet Silverado to it the MAP A section was different. I was EXTREMELY hesitant to try it, but I decided to just copy over the differences. Turns out, it changed it and did not fry the ECM

Anyways, I put the truck into full SD mode entered the data for the injectors and low and behold it fired right up and DROVE like a champ! Today I'm going to try adjusting the ETC Scalar and airflow tables to what they should be and see what the TB acts like. The new tune that did well is attached.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray