Thread: Vin and Vats

Potential Tuner

Vin and Vats

Been tuning for about a year now but never ran into this before. Hoping someone can help me out. Working on a 2007 silverado 2wd with a 5.3 from the factory. Customer swapped out the motor and PCM with 6.0 out of a 2008 Silverado 4wd. The Vin in the pcm is not the same as the vehicle. If I do a rewrite of the vin will HP tuners recognize the license after the rewrite and will hp suite and scanner still recognize the tune for the 6.0 or will it use the vin and revert back to seeing a 5.3? While the vehicle starts and runs it is setting codes for vats system key incorrect(P0513), theft deterrent fuel enable incorrect(P1631), cam crank correlation, and Transfer case not seen. . I can kill the codes for the transfer case and relearn the cam/crank. Can I relearn the key for vats using HP after the VIN is relearned or is it not necessary? Would I be better off just turning vats off? Getting message on I/Cluster for security system from BCM. Will that go away if VATS is turned off? I know this is a lot of questions but trying to prevent being redundant with the thread. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Senior Tuner
    I will suspect you will not be able to change the Vin because you will have a Vin/Osid mismatch.

Potential Tuner
    That is what I am worried about and then I would have to license it again. Also worried that HP would be confused about the OS and Vin.

Potential Tuner
    Does HP license the OSID or does it look at the VIN as well?

Senior Tuner
    Both hence your licencing issues.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, planethax. Do you think I should try to relearn the VATS or disable it and do a complete rewrite? Once I get this square I need to tune this thing.

Advanced Tuner
    Use the original pcm and tune it for the motor
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

I bricked a PCM and when I replaced it,it required more credits. It goes with the PCM.

Read the stock tune from the 6.0 PCM, copy engine parameters to the 5.3 PCM and call it a day
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Potential Tuner
    Thanks to all of you for your help. I am going to get the original PCM and copy parameters. All the pinouts are identical from one to the other so security issues will go away and we can get this thing on the road. Y'all are awesome.