Thread: 3rd gear lockup

Tuner

3rd gear lockup

Hey all,

After much tuning/studying and finally realization that with such a big cam with so much overlap (24) that I will never have a comfortable lockup below 1800 rpm. It just bucks too much. I decided to try having the car lockup in 3rd gear and not shift to 4th until 50mph then lockup again once I get there. This all seems to be working just fine. I like being in 3rd until 50mph since I am able to keep my rpms up around 2000 and the car runs much smoother and quieter at and above this rpm. Gas mileage went out the window a lonnngg time ago! Not even a factor for me anymore.

The issue I am having is when in 3rd and locked up if I let off the gas it will unlock! Then when I get back on it will relock. It does NOT do this in 4th and never has. I want it to stay locked in 3rd when I lift so I can use dfco in 3rd just as I do in 4th.

I did find that if I manually put the car in D3 it will stay locked in 3rd until its time to unlock as set in my tune....38 mph. Is there a fix for this...I must be missing some in the tune somewhere!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    05 Torrid Red GTO- TSP 418, DuSpeed intake, ported fast 102mm, nw 102mm tb, TXGiant v2 112lsa, AI 243 heads, Kooks 1.875 LTs, Kooks 3" Street Screamer, UDP, KAAZ w/ 3.73's, gforce aluminum ds, M6 swap, RXT.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by redgto4u View Post
    Hey all,

After much tuning/studying and finally realization that with such a big cam with so much overlap (24) that I will never have a comfortable lockup below 1800 rpm. It just bucks too much. I decided to try having the car lockup in 3rd gear and not shift to 4th until 50mph then lockup again once I get there. This all seems to be working just fine. I like being in 3rd until 50mph since I am able to keep my rpms up around 2000 and the car runs much smoother and quieter at and above this rpm. Gas mileage went out the window a lonnngg time ago! Not even a factor for me anymore.

The issue I am having is when in 3rd and locked up if I let off the gas it will unlock! Then when I get back on it will relock. It does NOT do this in 4th and never has. I want it to stay locked in 3rd when I lift so I can use dfco in 3rd just as I do in 4th.

I did find that if I manually put the car in D3 it will stay locked in 3rd until its time to unlock as set in my tune....38 mph. Is there a fix for this...I must be missing some in the tune somewhere!
    Try matching your 3rd and 4th lockup speeds to the 3rd gear settings. Lower your release speed by 10 MPH. See what that gets you.
    11.49 @ 118 1.49 60' Bolt on 2010 IOM Camaro

www.6l80etuning.com 6L80/90 Tuning