Thread: 2010 Camaro + Whipple help with my VE equations

Potential Tuner

2010 Camaro + Whipple help with my VE equations

I've got a 2010 Camaro L99, Kooks LTs, stock mufflers, Roto Fab intake, and a Whipple SC. I've downloaded the tune that Whipple sent with the kit and the car runs OK but the transient fuel seems off (hestiates and stumbles). Whipple claims the tune is for 100% stock car so maybe that's part of the problem.

It looks to me like they're trying to go pure MAF because the parameters in airflow>dynamic for High RPM disable and High RPM Re-Enable are 900 and 10 respectively.

I installed a ZR1 map and used the VE3 program on this BB to generate the equations. I'm expecting to operate up to about 200 kPa (10 lbs boost). I copied the column in 105 kPa then multiplied by 2.5 and pasted it in the 255 kPa column. Then I used the interpolate feature for the columns in between. I also moved the High RPM MAF up to 1300 and 1200. I also did the rescale and offset for the sensor.

I'm planning on driving the car about 70 miles to have it dyno tuned but I'd like an opinion on whether I'm on the right track here and most importantly will the tune be safe to drive (off boost)?

Thanks for the advice!

Potential Tuner
    Anyone????

Advanced Tuner
    OK just wondering why you were going SD on this? I have done and seen well over 1000 wheel hp thru a FI MAF setup on these cars. SD is definitely taking the long way around and even at that we have a upgraded OS for most of these that gives us a true VE table. Share your thoughts and help me help you.

Potential Tuner
    I'm not really trying to go SD. My understanding is that the transient fuel is most heavily influenced by the VE table. Low RPM operation and reversion (not much of a problem with the stock cam) cause the MAF signal to be unstable/slow responding. I thought that's why the factory goes onto the MAF as the rpm/airflow pick up.

My goal is to have an accurate VE table for transients (and MAF fail) and switch onto pure MAF above about 1300 rpm which should be above idle but before I'm on boost (even though the VE table supports operation there).

I tried using the VE equation spreadsheet but there were no choices (templates) for a LS3/L99 so I just picked one that looked close. I'd like someone who's generated VE equations to run mine backwards to see if I did it right.

I also tried looking at a ZR1 tune but beta version of my HPT won't open any.

Thanks for the advice.

Advanced Tuner
    More than likely you have an operating system that has the upgraded 3bar OS available which has a TRUE VE table. Although I have tuned 100s of these cars in MAF only mode up to and over 1000whp and there is no transient issues or driveability issues whatsoever. But if you are wanting to do then then definitely upgrade your OS and make it easy on yourself.