Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 6.2 turbo silverado

Potential Tuner

2011 6.2 turbo silverado

I am a just beginning to tune a new build that is a 2011 6.2 silverado with a front mount single turbo and I have questions regarding the tune.
    I am used to tuning N/A and Supercharger builds but before I begin with this one I wanted to run through a few questions I'm not sure how to answer.

1) the truck is a 2011 6.2 with ls9 cam, 3200 stall, CAI and LT's... current tune has power at 400 to the wheels and truck has 40k miles and runs strong

2) putting an 80/83 single turbo - front mount

3) how would you go about tuning the closed loop. like other tunes there is two o2 sensors, one on driver side injector bank, and one will be on down pipe on passenger side injector bank. there will also be a wideband on down pipe.
    the driver side is no problem, but i cant get passed the passenger side 02 reading the passenger side 02 and also getting the mix from the driver side 02. i would think that if the driver side read lean, it would mix into the passenger side and both 02s would tell pcm to rich then the driver side bank would be rich when it was not lean...
    so i don't understand how I am supposed to approach closed loop.

4) i have heard and read from others on forum advising that closed loop will just work after you tune on wideband and open loop, that it will figure it self out..etc. is that true? also i have heard others suggest to force it to open loop all the time. I was hoping to keep it on OL at wot and boost and CL in normal driving. the truck will be a daily driver and i think a working CL will work best for the owner.

5) the truck will be a daily driver, will be dyno tuned, we are hoping for 500-600 to the wheels with 8 lbs boost. might be taken to track once or twice but will mostly be a street daily driver...

If your reading this then THANKS for any input...

Potential Tuner

any help appreciated

any input on this is appreciated..
    just wanted to add that im trying to avoid 2 bar or hybrid, trying to stay with MAF ...dont think will have to use non MAF unless it runs out which i doubt..

want to keep dual o2 sensors, and wideband will be for open loop tuning which I dont anticipate being problem..biggest concerns on closed loop for daily driving..etc.

Potential Tuner
    I wanted to update my own post based on other boards info I have been given...
    It appears tuning a turbo with closed loop is no problem and has been done many many times.
    The o2 on drivers side goes on regular location, and the passenger side needs to be on down pipe after turbo exhaust. This allows the computer to read the differences and adjust correctly. Many well known truck and turbo guys confirmed this setup. The wot tune is done via open loop and sideband on down pipe so there are no concerns there. Most experts advised if you follow above and have issues, you prob have a bad o2 or a bad maf.
    Thanks to the other boards and the individuals that took time to answer this. There are many similiar concerns I found and some boards , well no one takes time to update.

have you physically confirmed this? most kb or trick users leave the driver side in the stock location and put the passenger o2 in the up pipe(pre turbo) then wide band in the down pipe.
    04 6.0 silvy china turbo
    87 gn
    03 stroker evo ww
    00 ss camaro

Tuner
    Have you upgraded the Maf or are you tuning SD?
    15 C7Z M7

Potential Tuner
    I am using stock maf and want to avoid sd.
    If it doesn't work "correctly" I'll look at sd. That being said I have some questions:
    1) is there a 2 bar upgrade available for 2011 silverado 6.2? My hp tuners has it greyed out. ( 2 bar, etc)
    2) I have researched that getting zr1 map with 2 bar is way to go, not sure if my year truck allows that option via hp tuners. Anyone recommend best option?
    3) is there a maf upgrade that can help with boost tuning , hptuners, etc?

Potential Tuner
    Update with an 80/83 turbo installed and currently being tuned...
    No need for SD, 2bar, etc. MAF tuning is working great. Driveabilty on street is same as before, and we have tested at 3psi, 8psi, 14psi ...
    All we did is upgrade MAP to zr1 map, change map (offset, etc) to zr1 info, and its reading more air than before. No issues with driveability. WOT tuning next..

Advanced Tuner

any updates

how its goes that silverado did you have any logs or the hpt to give it a look i having some issues tuning a sierra 6.2 6l80 trans single turbo as well
    all the way from Tampico bay Mexico

Potential Tuner
    my 6l80 was already on its way out and adding 200rwhp did not help, so I decided to upgrade to a 6l90. They are swapping it out this week as I type this entry.
    I dont have the logs or hpt since it was done at the shop but I was involved in the tuning...what issues are you having? specifically?
    I do want to update my entry from above out the MAF working great. We did spend a day getting it dialed in ...it was not just short quick tune. Also we started off with numbers in HPT that the shop had from a previous force induction build, then we made it look rich and tuned it down to lean it out to the a/f the shop wanted to see on dyno. The drive ability is perfect on the street with regular driving and when you get on the gas its fantastic..

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    ^confused about your post
    Last edited by SultanHassanMasTuning; 04-08-2013 at 02:44 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Do you have the current tune for us to look at? I have a 2007 Denali daily driver with turbo and am having some drivability issues. I wanted to compare them.

for a daily driver you must use the MAF, PE and most importantly you will need to upgrade to a 2 Bar Speed Density OS this will allow you to tune with Boost via your VE Boost table

Potential Tuner
    So im a little confused on the Bias toward SD tuning verses MAF tuning. SD uses a set of table and readings from various sensors to calculate the amount of air it "Thinks" should be coming into the motor, however, the MAF sensor is a direct measurement of the amount of air, as well as its density.
    Why would you use a calculated air flow versus a airflow measurement? This is of course assuming the MAF can measure the range of air that is going through the engine. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

As for the Drivebility issues, i am experiencing a "Cruise control and acceleration" right off of idle.
    Adjusting the Torque Follower table does help this, however, it seems to also cause a clunk in the transmission when moving around a parking lot.

Truck is a 2007 Yukon Denali, 76mm front mount Turbo, 60lb injectors.

with the 2 Bar SD you can fuel the engine from boost (you do need to upgrade your MAP sensor). when i upgraded i noticed 150 % better drive ability, i also had a clunk of some sort, i found that it was coming from over fueling or underfueling from the MAF because the MAF table is used acceleration and deceleration on some of the MHZ

Here is a earlier Log with my config file ( all i had available at work ), i have it set rich for safety sake, which you can see my Wide Band AFR table 6, also you can see my boost PSI
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    So you upgrade to a 2bar OS? What Map Sensor did you use? WOuld like to see the tune when you get a chance to post it.
    Thanks for the help

yes i did, will always use a 2 Bar SD OS if boosted, haha, i was lucky, i went across my garage and stole the one outa my CTS_V GM Part# 12992525, cost me 35.00 to replace it, lol

Tuner
    If you can run the maf I vote you do. The OP set his maf up correctly and says his driveabilty is great!!
    15 C7Z M7

Tuner in Training
    The stock MAF sensor will take you quite a ways on the newer GenIV engines. No where near the limitations the Gen III motors and older had. I have a decently modified and boosted 6.2 and have no come anywhere close to maxing mine out yet.

OP, I watched your video of 0-60 and something seems a little off. My truck when it was NA and just a drop in filter and replacement muffler was doing 0-60 in 6.1. After a tune with the same mods we got it down to 5.25 (all calculated with HPT). Seems like with that turbo you should be able to break into the 5's pretty easy...

Also looking at your log you are logging a shit ton of stuff LOL. You will get much better resolution if you cut that back and focus on just the few key parameters you are wanting to watch while tuning certain parts of the tune. Just my .02

Badass truck though. Gotta love boost!
    Truck Tune Info.png
    Attachment 38943