Thread: MSD Coil Packs - Problems?

MSD Coil Packs - Problems?

Valves were floating and had to change valve springs. Recommend extreme springs from triple B.
    Coils were not the problem, however I still believe these are a waste of money because the OEM
    coils perform just fine.

I've been running MSD coil packs since beginning of year and suddenly I have lost a little power in the 4000 to 5500 RPM range and the sound of the car actually changed. I will be installing the OEM coils this weekend and expect to find that the problem is that over time the MSD coils have degraded as mentioned on this and other LS boards and are the cause of the problem. Car still idles well and cold starts well, however there is a definite delay in acceleration from 4000 to 5500 RPM and then it picks back up to normal from there on up to redline at 6700 RPM.

I have read that even when MSD coils work correctly that many motors have dyno'd with 60 hp or more using the OEM coils on runs made back to back as soon as the coils could be swapped out.

I have a 383 stroker Z06 motor and spared no expense in building it right, and am almost certain I wasted $800 on those MSD coils. I installed new laser cut iridium NGK plugs and new plug wires this past weekend thinking my plugs had fouled over time, however the old plugs looked awesome when I pulled them out and none of the wires had any problems either.
    Last edited by JamesLinder; 03-20-2013 at 06:38 PM.

MSD coils are junk IMO

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    We even have problems with them on the 3800 engines.
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

Tuner in Training
    I had three MSD,(My Spark Died) coils fail within a week. If you tapped on them with a hammer, they would start to fire again, LOL. MSD would not stand behind them so I beat them with a hammer and sent them back to them.