Thread: WideBand For Dummies/I am the Dummy

Tuner in Training

WideBand For Dummies/I am the Dummy

For Me and all the Dummies

1- What are some reliable Wide Band Kits and how much $$

2- Do Most guys use a Stand alone AF meter that stays in the car or do you upgrade to the HPT Pro and that reads it?

3- Where the Heck do you weld the bung when you have a Y pipe? After the Y so it samples both sides at once?

4- Can you get 2 new widebands and just use them in place of your stock narrowbands and read it that way? Wire harness adapters??

I will spend the money on a wideband to get better help from you Pro's.
    I just want to do it right from the beginning.

About Me
    I have a 1999 Trans Am Automatic that ran 12.96 this year on a bullsh*t tune.
    I am a blue collar HVAC dude
    I am a drag racer who needs help.
    I have a lazy eye that creeps inwards when i am exhausted or drunk
    Thanks!
    1999 Trans Am 12.96 1/4 Mile

Tuner in Training
    1. I am using the AEM UEGO wide band and have had great luck with it so far. I have also heard good things about the NGK and a few other setups but don't have any personal experience with it.

2I am using HPT Pro and have been very happy with it. I like having all my data in one spot.

3.You want the wideband before the cats. If you put it after them you will not get reliable readings. You also want to make sure to mount it at a specific angle to avoid any moisture or issues down the road with it. See the referenced image for AEM below.

4.widebands I believe are designed to be stand alone and not connected to the ECU or anything of that nature. I could be wrong and someone with a lot more experience please correct. I believe you want to retain the stock O2's since that is what the ECU uses to calculate LTFT and STFT and all that. The wide band's biggest advantage is for WOT tuning.

I am by no means a "pro" tuner but this is what I know in regards to your questions

Tuner in Training
    Just stumbled across this thread http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41429and I think it will answer some of your questions about using a wideband to replace the stock O2's

I too have a trans am. I have long tube headers I installed one wideband at the end of each header. you want them upstream from the cats.

1) I am using 2 Innovate LC-1 widebands, one for each bank.
    2) I am bringing the wideband signals into HPT pro via the MPVI interface. Innovate sells
    a logging software that you can use to monitor afr but logging is pretty useless if you
    can't edit. So use HPT
    3) Never weld the bung below horizontal. Condensation in the pipe will destroy the sensor
    element. If you plan to use the LC-1 like I am, they are designed for permanent
    install. Just install them in the place of the factory sensors and you don't have to use
    the bung.
    4) I am using two widebands, one for each bank. At the end of the day you want to tune
    to the leanest bank. Ideally you want to tune to the leanest cylinder but it isn't
    necessary for most applications. LC-1 widebands have two signal output wires. One
    goes to the ecu to emulate the factory sensors and the other goes to the MPVI
    interface.

here is a link to a thread I have been working on for the past month. I too am just learning the widebands.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41429
    Just finished ASME, Now working on BSME