Thread: Questions for Mike & Sr Tuners

Questions for Mike & Sr Tuners

What impacts optimal settings for the following two transient mass fueling tables for a gen3 383 stroker: (1) Fuel Boiling Time vs ECT & MAP, and (2) Fuel to Wall Impact Factor vs ETC & MAP?

Attached spreadsheet compares stock SS verses what I found in a stroker tune posted in the repository. Thanks, Jim
    Last edited by JamesLinder; 12-04-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Might be a good one for Greg to answer, to be honest I have tinkered with these just to see but left them alone. I have not had any transient fuel setting issues that I could not overcome with correct injector settings and transient fuel min mg.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Same thing with the "Normal Injection Target vs ECT" table. Some folks lower the values in this table; what is the reasoning for doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesLinder View Post
    What impacts optimal settings for the following two transient mass fueling tables for a gen3 383 stroker: (1) Fuel Boiling Time vs ECT & MAP, and (2) Fuel to Wall Impact Factor vs ETC & MAP?
    1) Port geometry, heat transfer and airflow velocity (convective coefficient). This is a big function of intake and head design, along with valve event timing.

2) Injector spray pattern, port temperature, heat transfer. This is a big function of injector design, injector targeting and port velocity.

Greg, should these tables require modifications to optimize tune for a naturally aspirated stroker motor like mine? Patriot stage 2 heads (64cc) with LS6 intake and 85mm throttle body and 11.2:1 compression ratio? I also wonder why some folks change injector timing "normal" and "makeup" table values to lower numbers and the boundary setting to a higher number?

Comp Cam Hydraulic Camshaft Specs:
    Gross Valve Lift 0.630 intake, 0.633 exhaust
    Duration at 0.050: 232 intake, 234 Exhaust
    Lobe Separation: 112.0, Idles well at 900 RPM

this HP tuners thread discusses my build and current tune: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41010

I'm willing to compensate those who offer solid, specific advice regarding fine tuning until I'm able to attend Greg's first class in Dallas
    or Tulsa next year if he has one. Greg, if you would like to use my ride as a car to be tuned at one of your training classes you would be welcome to it. I think it would be a good candidate with very common upgrades for demonstration purposes.
    Last edited by JamesLinder; 12-05-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Personally I have not found any benefits in my car doing any of this (in power, idle quality or fuel economy). I know each setup is different, but the other part is properly making the changes which is difficult without a detailed study.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB