Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tablet Tuning!

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, there are quite a few different versions of the T100, so just make sure it has everyting you need. For example, my T100 only has one speaker instead of the stereo speakers that some of the T100 models have (it has a speaker grille on each side, but only one speaker!). They change little things like that so that they can offer certain models to big-box chain stores as exclusive models - and for discount prices (helps them avoid price matching competitors too!).

I think mine is a T100 TAF model. Obviously, for what I do with it, stereo speakers aren't needed - but if you also wanted to use it for playing movies or something, you'd probably want a model with stereo speakers. Some models have less RAM (mine has 2GB RAM), some even have slightly different processors. So just pay attention to the details...

Tuner in Training
    I just purchased HPT and waiting for it to ship. I only have an old MacBook for personal use. I'm in the market for a tablet that will pretty much be dedicated to HPT. From what I'm seeing, the SurfacePro's and the Asus T100 seems to be the best? I'm looking for something in the $150-$250 range. I looked at a T100 tonight, but it was a 32gb with Win10. I've found a few T100's that are 64gb but have Win8.

Advanced Tuner
    A MS SurfacePro is going to cost about $1k - they are very expensive. The T100 is definitely in your price range - and may even be better for this purpose becuase of the laptop-like hinge (SurfacePro has a "kickstand"-type hinge, which isn't very useful in the car).

I have a 32GB T100 that I use exclusively for tuning/scanning. Since the device has a MicroSD card slot, the 32GB space isn't much of an issue - really, the only time it'somewhat of a problem is during Windows upgrades (I use a USB hard drive for that purpose). My T100 also cam with Windows 8, but it gets upgrafed to Windows 10 for free anyway. HPTuners works great with Windows 10 on this device - use it almost daily.

Let me know if you have any further questions that I may be able to help with. The T100 is a steal for the price.

Tuner in Training
    awesome. Well I may pick that up tomorrow, and my goodies should be here as well. I had HPT back in 2008 but sold it to a friend after I sold my old car. I used to tune quite a few 3v cars back in the day. From what I hear it's night and day difference with Eric jamming out stuff. I've tuned a few 5.0s with that other software. Time to get back in the game haha

Advanced Tuner
    Let us know how you like the T100 when you get it and your HPTuner!

Advanced Tuner
    FYI - I saw this deal in my Inbox this morning. This device is very similar to the Asus T100, but is probably even better to be honest (better finish, more flexible hinge, etc). I was tempted to buy one and I don't even need a new tuning device (I have the Asus T100, whch I love as a tuning device).

Anyway, if you were considering moving to a tablet as a tuning device, it's going to be VERY hard to beat this deal ($99 for a decent Windows 10 tablet with keyboard dock!):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-34315343-S0A

Gosh I want to pick that up just because. LOL
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Tell me about it - I already have basically the same thing (Asus T100) and I'm still trying to fight off the urge to buy one! :-) I have a felling that it has a little better build quality than the Asus T100 I have from the pictures. For $99, it's sooooo tempting - even though I don't need one at all! :-) I paid $200 for the T100 (new instead of refurbished though). If someone does buy one of these, I'm really curious to hear about it!

Screw it. Got one.
    Bill Winters

Advanced Tuner
    Cool! Looking forward to your review of it! :-)

Advanced Tuner
    I've been using a Dell Venue 11 for about 1 year now. Liked it so much, I picked up a second one as a semi-permanent install in my GTO for tuning.

Customers love the little tablet PC, and I love it since the battery lasts 8+ hours with the keyboard attached. I can tune all day long without needing a charge or a break!

How are you guys (with the exception of hackabuse) Tuning with a touchscreen and no dedicated stylus? I can't imagine doing it with my Venue pro 10 if it wasn't for my active stylus.. It's a major PITA.

on a side note. in the near future i will be upgrading to a Surface Pro 3-4 with a stylus as well. the Dell has been decent but has its bugs and though they always get fixed through tech support, they happen all too often.

Advanced Tuner
    Actually, when I use my T100 for tuning, I don't use it as a touch-screen device, I use it as a mini-laptop. With the keyboard dock and trackpad (or bluetooth mouse), it's no differernt than tuning with a laptop... Sometimes, I do use the device without the keyboard dock as a touchscreen device when reviewing logs, but even that is rare - I mainly use the device as a mini-laptop for tuning/scanning.

You don't *have* to use the touchscrren....

Advanced Tuner
    Well, if you were interested in that $99 Acer tablet/keyboard dock combo, you are now out of luck - they are showing as "Sold Out" and No Longer available now!

They didn't last long! :-)

@5_Liter_Eater - please let us know what you think of it when you get yours (just in case they come back around for that price again).

im more of an "all in" type of guy. either you buy a tablet to use it as one or you stick with a laptop. which is why i prefer the dedicated stylus.

Advanced Tuner
    That's the beauty of these 2-in-1 devices - you can have you cake and eat it to! Want to use it as a touch-screen tablet - you can do that. Want to use it as a laptop, you can do that too! I was happy to get rid of my stylus way back in the day - really not interested in going back to it! :-)

In my opinion, some applications are better suited for a keyboard and mouse and others are better suited for a touch-screen. It's nice to be able to do both. And the battery life and portability of these 2-in-1 devices are what draws me to them for HPTuners - not the fact they are are touch-screen devices. And cost as well - a mini-laptop with great battery life for $99 - can't beat that! :-)

But, as always, to each their own!

Advanced Tuner
    FYI - those $99 Acers are listed as "In stock" again in case anyone is still interested.

@5_liter_eater - did you get your yet? Any feedback?

I just got a Surface 3, not a Pro, that works great. Comes with Win 10 now and everything is smooth and functions quickly. I bought mine used and it was between this one or a Surface Pro 2 because used they're about the same price. The Surface 3 has a firmer keyboard and I couldn't pass it up at the price. I paid $300 for the Surface and the keyboard which would've been $600 at Best Buy. It's 64gb and I only use it to tune. Batt life is about 8hrs. 64gb is the min I'd get because right now with HPT, Mcafee, MS Office Suite and barely any apps I've only got 15gb free.
    RAW Racing in Tampa, Fla.
    Providing custom LS tuning and performance upgrades.

Advanced Tuner
    Damn, I want a $99 tablet!

I've been using a Surface Pro 4 for my onboard logging and tuning, the thing is awesome. Pricey though obviously. My son also has a Surface Pro 4 that he uses for his last year of Mechanical Engineering. He says the math stuff is incredible being able to write out equations on the screen and have it converted to digital data. Way beyond me!

Keep us informed on these cheap tablets, I'd be interested in one just to throw around at work. And with HPT 3.0 and Windows 10, the touch screen stuff is WAY better than it's ever been.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Haven't used it much yet at all but so far it's meh. And I can't figure out how to separate it. LOL
    Bill Winters