Thread: ECM SWAP E38 service12612384

ECM SWAP E38 service12612384

Hi my ECM died after a stupid flash while a friend turned the key. Becuase Im in Aust and everything is 5 times the price you guys get it for at GM. I need a new E38 service no 12612384, I have purchased one from a G8 with same service number But it runs OS 12633016 not 12624402 as my holden does. My question is will my car run when I reflash???? To give you USA guys an idea of how ripped off we get. The best price I could get was 849 dollars for and exchange recon computer! I puchased one over there new for 190 dollars deleverd.

Are you 100% sure you have bricked your old one?
    I thought I saw a post where Chris from HPT said you cant brick an E38 ECM by disrupting the flash process, something to do with the bootloader never being written over during a flash or something like that.
    Last edited by Xjas; 11-22-2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: poor grammer
    2010 GXP Maloo ute, LS3, 6L80E.
    MM heads, 240/252@50 solid cam, 12.75:1 compression, 4500 Dominator converter, 3.46 rears.
    Shooting for 10s eventually.

should be able to recover it
    I count sheep in hex...

No i think it is just damaged. One side of the motor runs intermittent, this happend straight after the flash, If I run a scan I get the normal error codes for no maf heater etc etc. If I delete the DTCS the motor seems to go to normal until the DTCS show again. To give you an idea my right turbo temp at idle after startup is 370degrees and the left 109degrees. There is no unusual error codes. The car will drive but very rough and no power even on backdated tunes that ran well! On balance test the left bank is running at 65-70 percent.
    Last edited by HSVTT; 11-22-2012 at 02:11 AM.

I'd be checking my wiring, fuses and grounds before anything else.
    I count sheep in hex...

I have tried everything Chris,Coils wires,fuel pressure,injectors,vacuum leaks etc no luck.I have the other ECM ordered will it work?

you should be able to flash it with your OS.
    I count sheep in hex...

if the engine runs ok when you clear the codes, then i would be trying to find out what's up with those codes. If you've tried everything you can think of then i guess the ECM is worth a try but i'm not sure why the engine would run ok when you clear the codes if the ECM was bad.
    I count sheep in hex...

Thanks Chris I will try it I hope it solves the problem i will keep looking.I just dont know why it is only one bank.the only thing left to me is the ECM.Missing good summer drives!! Is there anyone I can send it to for testing in a car/bench? I dont mind paying.
    Last edited by HSVTT; 11-22-2012 at 03:49 AM.

post up what codes you are seeing and a log of the engine running bad and clearing codes to see it run well for a while etc.

A blocked cat (melted) will also cause a miss on one bank and be very annoying to diagnose.
    I count sheep in hex...

Thanks Chris. I will try to get a log this weekend sometime it wont be a good one it runs bad. I know it is not the CATS because there is none(turbos sit nice there lol). I will have another look at everything. I went to my local Holden Stealer today they told me 870+GST for computer(if the problem) and 300 dollars to plug in a Tech2 for a scan plus flatbed from my workshop. The old fella also told me that I souldnt modify a car that much it just makes them unreliable!! Ha ha thats the fun of it there is always a challange! If I get a computer blank can I flash from HP enitie O/S?

300 bucks just to plug a tech 2 in and scan it? WTF.
    2010 GXP Maloo ute, LS3, 6L80E.
    MM heads, 240/252@50 solid cam, 12.75:1 compression, 4500 Dominator converter, 3.46 rears.
    Shooting for 10s eventually.

I found the problem bad earth on the back of the motor on the left head. (Loose bolt on earth strap)
    Last edited by HSVTT; 12-07-2012 at 07:06 AM.