Thread: 2010 5.3 6L80E Throttle Response???

Advanced Tuner

2010 5.3 6L80E Throttle Response???

I've tuned my 2010 Silverado 5.3 6L80E, but I'm still a little disappointed with throttle response. I tune the tranny following The Tuning School's guide and adjusted the maf, ve, spark and Pe. When i hold it in a gear, manual mode, and stab the throttle, it kind of rolls in instead of being instant. Any tips or tricks?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    torque management

Advanced Tuner
    It is disabled in my tune.

Post a log of you stabbing the throttle in a set gear.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 11-22-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Advanced Tuner
    I will tomorrow after work. Im cashing on the black friday sales tonight.

Lol, you need to turn off tip in limiting. And set Max rotation to 100%
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Advanced Tuner
    Max rotation is set to 100...I didnt get a chance to get a log today

Advanced Tuner
    Tip in limiting is disabled and it still does it.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is a log as well as my tune.

Have you tried disabling the tip in ETC Limiting under the engine tab/torque management? Just a thought.

Mark
    2009 hot white G8GT - Vararam, HSRK, street tuned, Kooks longtube headers and x-pipe. 12.675 @ 112.05mph.

Advanced Tuner
    I dont think so, just under the trans tab. Didnt think about it under the engine tab.

if disabling the tip in ETC Limiting under the engine tab/torque management doesn't work, take a look at the Desired Throttle Area/Axis Type under Electronic Throttle.

Most or all of the cars use RPM, and I know my Camaro throttle opens instantly (too fast for my supercharger) and most of the trucks I see use VSS.

I don't know what will happen if you change it, or if you can simply change it without causing problems, but it is one more difference I see.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

I should've been more specific. It's under the engine torque management tab. Just set to disable and enjoy your new found throttle response.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    if disabling the tip in ETC Limiting under the engine tab/torque management doesn't work, take a look at the Desired Throttle Area/Axis Type under Electronic Throttle.

Most or all of the cars use RPM, and I know my Camaro throttle opens instantly (too fast for my supercharger) and most of the trucks I see use VSS.

I don't know what will happen if you change it, or if you can simply change it without causing problems, but it is one more difference I see.
    Good suggestion but no, it'll throw a P0606.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Cant really disable ETC on this model due to the gearbox not having the timed shifting the old 6 speed tcu's had... would run like crap on the shifts....

best bet... tune etc tip in tables as best you can for each gear or ultimately turn it off and control torque via the trannys torque management,you'd have to manually work that out.

PE could set to 2.0, maybe 48% for throttle varying and maybe 1.68 across the board, that will also give more solid response.... not sure why so many people push so lean like this.....

Your main timing table also needs work if your looking for off the line go power

actually i see alot wrong if you want power
    Last edited by BigDaddyCool; 11-28-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Well, the timing table hasnt really been messed with much. Ive mainly been ironing out trans problems, tuning the maf and pe and such. I havent spent any real time on the timing. I'm all ears to suggestions or tips for power! I would apprieciate them!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyCool View Post
    Cant really disable ETC on this model due to the gearbox not having the timed shifting the old 6 speed tcu's had... would run like crap on the shifts....

best bet... tune etc tip in tables as best you can for each gear or ultimately turn it off and control torque via the trannys torque management,you'd have to manually work that out.

PE could set to 2.0, maybe 48% for throttle varying and maybe 1.68 across the board, that will also give more solid response.... not sure why so many people push so lean like this.....

Your main timing table also needs work if your looking for off the line go power

actually i see alot wrong if you want power
    My 2011 Denali shifts dandy with Tip-In disabled. Tip in acts as a throttle input modifier which slows the opening rate of the blade so as to not "shock" the drivetrain. That's all.

Everything else is just the usual setting PE to conmand 12.5, delay to 0, and zeroing out the Enable requirements except for rpm. Some timing tweaks are also appreciated by the truck as well as is a simple raise in shift pressure.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    My 2011 Denali shifts dandy with Tip-In disabled. Tip in acts as a throttle input modifier which slows the opening rate of the blade so as to not "shock" the drivetrain. That's all.

Everything else is just the usual setting PE to conmand 12.5, delay to 0, and zeroing out the Enable requirements except for rpm. Some timing tweaks are also appreciated by the truck as well as is a simple raise in shift pressure.
    Yeh fair enough.... I generally run 12.54 to 12.56 .... exactly between those numbers..... leaning out to 12.54 in spots, richening up to 12.56 in certain spots....

I've tried 12.76 to 12.95...... which alot of professional tuners run to get the most torque out of the top end and reducing the timing to make it work but frankly it bogs down here and there in certain spots.... running closer to aspirated official values works better i find....

The tip in, I found GM mostly tuned cars two ways....... timed shifts .... where the tranny controller the torque or untimed, where the torque was controlled by the etc tip in etc...

Anyway... if it works on yours .... cool. saves alot of hassle. i've oftened worried if i bought a newer model of my car it may cause me delima's with that tranny related issue...... as the later ones dont have timed shifts and the etc controls it.... either way i think we can agree...... ETC Tip In = CRAP!

It's slow, pathedic with controlling power smoothly etc... it's definiately something thats gets on your nerves

Advanced Tuner
    Even though setting the master disable for tip-in didnt work, "unlimiting" all of the tables one by one seems to have worked! Thanks guys! Still acceptant to any advice/pointers for my tune!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyCool View Post
    Yeh fair enough.... I generally run 12.54 to 12.56 .... exactly between those numbers..... leaning out to 12.54 in spots, richening up to 12.56 in certain spots....

I've tried 12.76 to 12.95...... which alot of professional tuners run to get the most torque out of the top end and reducing the timing to make it work but frankly it bogs down here and there in certain spots.... running closer to aspirated official values works better i find....

The tip in, I found GM mostly tuned cars two ways....... timed shifts .... where the tranny controller the torque or untimed, where the torque was controlled by the etc tip in etc...

Anyway... if it works on yours .... cool. saves alot of hassle. i've oftened worried if i bought a newer model of my car it may cause me delima's with that tranny related issue...... as the later ones dont have timed shifts and the etc controls it.... either way i think we can agree...... ETC Tip In = CRAP!

It's slow, pathedic with controlling power smoothly etc... it's definiately something thats gets on your nerves
    Right on I'm finding good results with a flat commanded 12.5, and even as low as 12.0 in peak torque works awesome.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray