Thread: MAF and dynamic airflow question

Tuner

MAF and dynamic airflow question

If you have your VE dialed in on an SD tune and then go and setup your scanner to capture MAF Hz, MAF g/sec and Dynamic Airflow g/sec, can you compare the Dynamic Airflow g/sec against the MAF Hz to fine tune the MAF? Do you want the MAF's g/sec to match the Dynamic Airflow g/sec?
    Jason
    01 Camaro Z28 LS3 525hp Built 4l60e
    74 Camaro Z28 LT 355 fully forged roller with t56 4.56 gears

are you not tuning the MAF the same as you did with your VE table? I take it you are using a wb. When I tuned my VE I had to zero out the MAF table completely. Then I tuned my MAF but it's much slower in reacting so you have to hold it in the cells longer and hit as many as possible. I run a OLSD tune with the MAF and it works good.
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX

When I tuned my VE I had to zero out the MAF table completely.
    Why do you have to do this? Isnt it sufficient to have the MAF fail at 0 HZ?
    Or will the maf tble interfere with the SD tuning?
    I have been tuning my VE tables with the MAF failed but still reading in order to do what the OP suggested.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 11-20-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    Ricardo
    1996 A4 FBody with LS7 swap

Tuner
    If you want to truly do a full on SD tune then you have to zero out the MAF Hz in diagnostics and turn off the three error codes for it (P0101, P0102 and P0103) and raise the High RPM Disable to an unreachable RPM level (under Dynamic Airflow). I think some people raise the Hi/Lo RPM Thresh under the Dynamic Air tab to an unreachable level also.

Those steps above completely disable the MAF from the VCM. You will not see any readings from the MAF in the scanner if you do the above. If you zero out the Hz and P0101 only you'll still get MAF readings and the VCM still uses it as reference. If you disable like above you will see a change in the way your car idles since it is purely using the VE table at that point.

You will still need to affect your OL/CL setup and COT under the Fueling tab.
    Last edited by kyphur; 11-20-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    Jason

Tuner in Training
    Running the latest beta version with a gen 4 STD operating system. Zero'd out the MAF Hz in diagnostics and entered 8100rpm in the Dynamic hi and lo threshold. I have left on the ses and error on first for the P0101 to see if it errors outs the maf.

The maf still displays figures in the Scanner and the check engine light doesn't come on to confirm the MAF error. So im unsure if i am running in pure VE or not.

Any ideas why?
    Last edited by Jamz; 12-15-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Can't you just unplug the MAF?

Tuner in Training
    Tuning the ve table only then returning to maf.

Tuner
    Jason

Tuner in Training
    cool info. thx. Any guides on the gen 4 l98 motors?

Tuner
    Not that I've seen but that should still put you in the ballpark for those setups. The only thing I can suggest is small changes here and there and log your info. After a steep learning curve you'll start to realize what tables affect what. Just sucks that it's one of those things you have to learn from experience it seems.
    Jason

Tuner in Training
    yep. I got my head around most of the tables, just need lots of time logging, analyzing and testing.