Thread: E-Fans not working correctly

Tuner in Training

E-Fans not working correctly

Need a little help getting my efans to work correctly.

2001 Silverado
    2005 Factory Efans and Harness
    Using Pins 42 and 33

The problem is that the fans constantly run on Low no matter the engine temp or what I have commanded in the tune.

High speed works correctly, and comes on at their commanded temperature.

Everything is wired correctly because I can control the fans using the controls in the scanner. (Low, High, Off).

So, it must be something in the tune. But I don't know what. Everything is set the same as a factory 2005 except for AC Fan Temp, which is lowered to make the fans on whenever AC is on...but right now this makes no difference because the fans are on anyway.

Tune is attached.. Thanks for any help you can give!

Does the car think the AC is on? Any trouble codes? Just trying to think of the simple things that can get you.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Nope. Checked the status bits and all looks good. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tuner
    Just for giggles, you could go into your DTC menu and enable P0480 and P0481, SES ENABLE for both of them and MIL on FIRST error for both of them.

I once nipped the low speed relay wire on my 97 and it tripped a light.
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

From what I have been told, it is something glitchy with the early 411 truck OS's. I have the same problem on my 01 Tahoe but the fans work perfectly in my 00 Silverado with an 02 pcm swap. I really don't mind the fans being on below the mph limit on my Tahoe in the summer since it keeps my AC ice cold when I come to a stop. My work around in the cooler months is to add in a longer startup delay. This helps the truck warm up on cold start and keeps the fans from coming on under mph limits during quick stops.

Here is a link to one of the other threads discussing this issue... http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23450
    2000 Silverado, RCSB, 2wd - Built 371 / KB 2.8L / 4L80E - 11.18@123

2012 Sierra Denali AWD - bolt-on daily driver and tow vehicle

Senior Tuner
    Do they run with key on engine off?
    or just when running?
    log ac pids (pressure and status bit) temp pids when first started (or just with key on engine off if it happens then)

Tuner in Training
    Read through your posts. My exact issue.

So a new OS should solve my issue? Will applying a custom OS fix the issue as well?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by planethax View Post
    Do they run with key on engine off?
    or just when running?
    log ac pids (pressure and status bit) temp pids when first started (or just with key on engine off if it happens then)
    They only run when the engine is started.

They respond to the startup delay as well.

Advanced Tuner
    I have also the same issue on my 2000 Silverado.. I emailed support and waiting what they find out.

Eric

Tuner in Training
    I thought I posted up the resolution...guess not

I upgraded the OS to 12212156 from a 2002 I found in the HPT Repository. After I did this, everything functions as it should.

From all the reading I did, all the OS prior to 2002 have a glitch the prevents efans from working correctly, this was fixed in 2002.

Hope this helps.

Advanced Tuner
    Did you have to relicense the VIN, so you had to use 2 more credits?

Eric

Tuner in Training
    Yep. Cost $100...still not sure if it was worth it

Advanced Tuner
    Thats why I was going to wait a little longer if they can figure it out on their end, lol.