Thread: 2.2 ecotec supercharged

Tuner in Training

2.2 ecotec supercharged

I have a question dose anyone know where i can get a stage 3 gm reflash for a 03 chevy cavalier that has a supercharger bolted to it?????????

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    I've never heard of that one, but... I have heard of a 2.4L that was offered with a dealer equipped/installed supercharger around 2002. The tune for that is in the repository and is essentially what looks to be a GM version of a fake 2 BAR setup, however properly labled. I was in fact planning on using it someday as a starting base for a turbo cavalier or turbo S10 pickup truck setup.

Tuner in Training
    The 2.4L Speed Density tune is only for the LD9 Twin Cam.

Since you have the ecotec you need to get either the M62 GM ecotec tune or a Trifecta Tune.

Hptuners is not gonna help you. This company has no love for the jbody. Heck us LD9 folks can “BARELY” get a tune out of Hptuners. They refuse to unlock more tables for us boosted guys that are required to get a “REAL GOOD” tune.

I honestly regret buying Hptuners, but now that I bought a Cobalt SS/T I can actually put it to good use.

You need to look into a stand alone….that will be your best option. That or swap over to the LD9 PCM and harness just so you can get a somewhat decent tune from hptuners….and even off that….good luck finding someone that can tune a jbody with hptuners…..

WE NEED THOSE TABLES UNLOCK HPTUNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Tuner
    There are many Eco Jbodies tuned by HPT
    Even GMs LD9 boosted tune was a Fake 2bar
    Can't unlock what is not there.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojbody View Post
    The 2.4L Speed Density tune is only for the LD9 Twin Cam.

Since you have the ecotec you need to get either the M62 GM ecotec tune or a Trifecta Tune.

Hptuners is not gonna help you. This company has no love for the jbody. Heck us LD9 folks can “BARELY” get a tune out of Hptuners. They refuse to unlock more tables for us boosted guys that are required to get a “REAL GOOD” tune.

I honestly regret buying Hptuners, but now that I bought a Cobalt SS/T I can actually put it to good use.

You need to look into a stand alone….that will be your best option. That or swap over to the LD9 PCM and harness just so you can get a somewhat decent tune from hptuners….and even off that….good luck finding someone that can tune a jbody with hptuners…..

WE NEED THOSE TABLES UNLOCK HPTUNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah I get it, life sucks, then ya die, what I'm trying to do is complicated and hopeless and I should just go drive my car, with my HPT software & laptop in it off a bridge or mabey buy a TurboBalt or something. Well... I'm probably not going to do either of those things. (for now) I've heard of people making pretty damn good consistant power using the HPT/Turbo Cobalt/StockTuneBase combination. Enough to apparently damage stock pistons and god knows what else on the engine/drivetrain if pushed far enough. Mabey they still need tables though. I'm pretty sure more tables wouldn't help me very much in the tune I plan to use, as that PCM won't control my boost. If someone will shed some light on the Cavalier engine size, style, and aspiration (2.4L-EcoTec-Supercharged, ect...) availability throughout the years... It would take a seccond and my barely adequate at best Haynes manual doesn't list engine/year combos available. The tune posted below which I was planning on using is from a 2.4L from 2002, and I had thought in 2002 they had already gone full EcoTec even with the 2.4L. (???) Even still, I've litterally seen what people are forced to work with using other tuning software, and being a mechanic I will simply put use/swap whatever PCM, injector setup, and sensors I have to in order to tune my car I build with HPT. Seriously, if I ever bought a car that was unsupported like a 97 Mustang to build, I would just use a computer & FI setup from a supported V8 truck or whatever.

Attachment 37125
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 11-15-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by planethax View Post
    There are many Eco Jbodies tuned by HPT
    Even GMs LD9 boosted tune was a Fake 2bar
    Can't unlock what is not there.
    So far what Ive read and been told is the Ecotec equipted Jbody's have a PCM that does not read boost. They are "ALL" Alpha N fueled (with the exception of the stock GM Eco Supercharged tune....im assuming its speed density).

Only the Twin Cam has the Speed Density tunes....such as the 1997 Cavys and the 2000+ LD9's.

So again what Im getting at is its been said and proven tuning a "BOOSTED" (not N/A) Cavy with a PCM fueled with Alpha N is frowned apon. Your tuner will have a field day.....and as proven it will just SUCK.

ALPHA N DOES NOT READ BOOST!!!!!!!!!

Many gave up......so again to make your life easier get a stand alone, or a 2k+ LD9 PCM and harness, or find a Trifecta dealer.

Those are your only options.....those out there running boosted on Alpha N with a "fake 2 bar" is diffulcult. I think Trifecta does it this way but again its VERY VERY HARD....and as it is tuning a Cavalier is hard since we have missing tables. Thus is why not your everyday V8 hptuner at your local performance shop can tune a Cavy.

Id say first try and get a Trifecta tune and go from there. I have a few friends running boosted Cavaliers on a Trifecta Tune. Downside is Trifecta takes for ever to respond back but have good tunes. They first tune you to run rich to make sure you dont go lean during WOT pulls. Then after a few datalogging sessions you should be good.....but again they take for ever.

So good luck and just trying to help
    Last edited by turbojbody; 11-15-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Again its not that hard
    Again if the PCM cant read boost how can Hpt add tables that are not there.
    Again even GM tune the LD9s with a fake two bar tune.

You keep saying "proven" but where is your proof?

Apparently it is that hard. I made a request some time ago for a humor section in this forum that this post needs to migrate to fast. I hate to admit it but technically he's even got us on two things. From the factory they didn't really read boost untill the dealership installed the 2 BAR MAP sensor & performed the reflash. And indeed guess it would suck to attempt to control your entire fueling spectrum, especially on a forced induction vehicle using strictly Alpha-N. However for clarification: I've personally seen through extensive hands on testing and not assumption, theese cars use Alpha-N to control fueling during idle or when stuck in Open Loop due to something not working right. In either case you wouldn't want to be entering boost, so the fact that those tables are sometimes used has no bearing. They all should use the speed density tables when in Closed Loop. THAT'S HOW IT'S POSSIBLE TO ACTUALLY USE FUEL TRIMS MAN!!! While in PE Mode during Closed Loop operation using speed density will be the only time you can get a steady, specific, repeatable, commanded AFR with theese earlier Cavaliers, and that's the real reason many, many, people have trouble tuning/understanding theese cars, not just big shop V8 tuners. The icon may not have appeared, but I posted the GM Supercharged tune in that earlier post above so you wouldn't have to assume at all. As you can "clearly" see, it's just like any Cavalier tune of thet era, except scaled for the 2.4L, larger injectors, faked out to run 2 BAR with low resolution but relabled to show correct MAP values. So, could someone actually knowledgable chime in here and tell the OP whether that's the only GM tune closest to what he asked for or may be able find or not even close, and clarify for me once and for all if the 2.4L found in the 2002 Cavalier is Quad-4 based (LD9) or EcoTec based (Thank God) as I am sure all the 2.4L engines offered throughout the years were probably DOHC or Twin Cam so please that info won't help at all.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 11-16-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    Yeah I get it, life sucks, then ya die, what I'm trying to do is complicated and hopeless and I should just go drive my car, with my HPT software & laptop in it off a bridge or mabey buy a TurboBalt or something. Well... I'm probably not going to do either of those things. (for now) I've heard of people making pretty damn good consistant power using the HPT/Turbo Cobalt/StockTuneBase combination. Enough to apparently damage stock pistons and god knows what else on the engine/drivetrain if pushed far enough. Mabey they still need tables though. I'm pretty sure more tables wouldn't help me very much in the tune I plan to use, as that PCM won't control my boost. If someone will shed some light on the Cavalier engine size, style, and aspiration (2.4L-EcoTec-Supercharged, ect...) availability throughout the years... It would take a seccond and my barely adequate at best Haynes manual doesn't list engine/year combos available. The tune I was planning on using is from a 2.4L from 2002, and I had thought in 2002 they had already gone full EcoTec even with the 2.4L. (???) Even still, I've litterally seen what people are forced to work with using other tuning software, and being a mechanic I will simply put use/swap whatever PCM, injector setup, and sensors I have to in order to tune my car I build with HPT. Seriously, if I ever bought a car that was unsupported like a 97 Mustang to build, I would just use a computer & FI setup from a supported V8 truck or whatever.
    Attachment 37125
    Okay this quote confuses me. You ask for someone to shed light on the Cavalier engine size??? Only Ecotec Cavy made was a 2.2L

Yes in 2002 there was a Twin Cam. I currently own a 2002 2.4L Turbo Z24.

The rest of it made no sense....so i hope your not trolling cuz your wasting my time.

Anyways man calm down im just trying to help.

Ive done lots of reading and still need more....but like I said people have tried extensivly to get their boosted cavys tuned but had issues. Some got lucky to found someone who knows how to tune a jbody. Again Im talking turbo/supercharged....not all motor tunes. It seems not every tuner can tune a jbody.

If ya'll state its sooooooo easy to tune a boosted Cavalier then I strongly suggest you create a account on jbody.org and help the million of cavalier owners who have tuning issues. Big bucks to made son!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    ......... and clarify for me once and for all if the 2.4L found in the 2002 Cavalier is Quad-4 based (LD9) or EcoTec based (Thank God) as I am sure all the 2.4L engines offered throughout the years were probably DOHC or Twin Cam so please that info won't help at all.
    FWIW
    95 2.3 Quad and 2.2 non eco
    96 - 01 2.4 LD9 Quad and 2.2 non eco
    2002 2.4 LD9 or 2.2 ECO
    03 - 05 2.2 Eco

Quote Originally Posted by turbojbody View Post
    If ya'll state its sooooooo easy to tune a boosted Cavalier then I strongly suggest you create a account on jbody.org and help the million of cavalier owners who have tuning issues. Big bucks to made son!
    Just be cause it isn't that hard, doesn't make it "soooooo easy"
    I am on the .org, being that these are J bodies not many are willing to PAY what it takes to tune correctly (I am also in Canada )

There is also quickln2 on there and here that has tuned many many boosted Js and is probably one of if not the best at it.

Nope you're wrong, again. Chuck Norris is the only man who could ever tune a J-Body properly. He tuned them so well that when you put them in reverse....
    they would actually produce gasoline. Unfortunately you can"t utilize his tune... He doesn't use HPT, no.... You see, he simply roundhouses the cars fender and the fuel injectors just scale themselves into submission. Oh but seriously dude, thanks for the engine info. My manual sucks. Should"ve gone with a Chiltons manual.
    Montreal = Good Times!
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 11-17-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by planethax View Post
    FWIW
    95 2.3 Quad and 2.2 non eco
    96 - 01 2.4 LD9 Quad and 2.2 non eco
    2002 2.4 LD9 or 2.2 ECO
    03 - 05 2.2 Eco

Just be cause it isn't that hard, doesn't make it "soooooo easy"
    I am on the .org, being that these are J bodies not many are willing to PAY what it takes to tune correctly (I am also in Canada )

There is also quickln2 on there and here that has tuned many many boosted Js and is probably one of if not the best at it.
    Agreed.....he is one out of the what....3 or 4 people in this WORLD that know how to get a decent tune out of a cavy using hptuners.

Thus I guess this is why so many people go with a Honda....since its easy and free to tune them.

Man some of the mis information here.

First there is no stage 3 reflash from GM for a Ecotec supercharger. Just the orginal reflash GM supplied with the Ecotec supercharger kit. That reflash sucks for anything more than stock bolt on supercharger.

Next tuning a boosted Ecotec on Alpha N. Especially a supercharged one.

You do have the option of running a LD9 harness and ECU and running the GM LD9 supercharger reflash if you want.

Problem with people on the org, and really just people with Jbody's and tuning is they are cheap and do not want to spend the money. They decide they would rather buy HPT, or borrow HPT when they have no idea what they are doing and try to figure it out themselves. Or hey I will copy my friends tuned file to mine and it will run fine, no does not work that way.

Trifica tunes suck ass as well.

I tuned a twin charged Ecotec on the factory ECU (Alpha N). It can be done.

Problem is most shops are use to the files that the V8 cars have, which yes is much more, so to do the same thing on our car takes a completely different process than it does on a GM LS based car.

I remember when we never had a tuning option, it was FMU's or standalones.

We should be thankful, and I think we still have not scratched the surface yet.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JMHZ2401 View Post
    Man some of the mis information here.

First there is no stage 3 reflash from GM for a Ecotec supercharger. Just the orginal reflash GM supplied with the Ecotec supercharger kit. That reflash sucks for anything more than stock bolt on supercharger.

Next tuning a boosted Ecotec on Alpha N. Especially a supercharged one.

You do have the option of running a LD9 harness and ECU and running the GM LD9 supercharger reflash if you want.

Problem with people on the org, and really just people with Jbody's and tuning is they are cheap and do not want to spend the money. They decide they would rather buy HPT, or borrow HPT when they have no idea what they are doing and try to figure it out themselves. Or hey I will copy my friends tuned file to mine and it will run fine, no does not work that way.

Trifica tunes suck ass as well.

I tuned a twin charged Ecotec on the factory ECU (Alpha N). It can be done.

Problem is most shops are use to the files that the V8 cars have, which yes is much more, so to do the same thing on our car takes a completely different process than it does on a GM LS based car.

I remember when we never had a tuning option, it was FMU's or standalones.

We should be thankful, and I think we still have not scratched the surface yet.
    X2!!!!

Potential Tuner
    Anyone can post the link to a thread for step by step process to learn tuning a Alpha N?

My car is a 05 cavalier 2.2. Is It an alpha n?

Seriously i would pay to learn with an advanced tuner but it seems every one just always say "we won't just give you our tune" and "people just not want to pay". This is not helping the comunity.

I am willing to pay but i am, most of all, willing to understand and learn at the same time what is going on under the hood.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a thread i started : http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-t3-t4-project

Thanks