Thread: Is it possible to use a 2000ish LS1 PCM on a 4 cylinder engine?

Potential Tuner

Is it possible to use a 2000ish LS1 PCM on a 4 cylinder engine?

Not sure where to post this question so I'm posting it here.

Let me say that I'm new to this forum but not new to HP Tuners software as I've been using it on a few race cars for many years now.

Here's my question:

The GM PCM for the 2000 ish LS1 cars would be a great upgrade to use on a couple of non GM normally aspirated 4 cylinder race cars we have.

It appears that you can set the cylinder count to what ever you want. So I was thinking that if I had the correct crank and cam triggers setup, could I run this on a 4 cylinder race car?

Thanks in advance,

TonyG

i doubt you would have success, there are probably a lot of calibrations in the PCM that aren't in the editor that would need changing. GM only used this PCM for 8 cyl and a few 6 cyl applications.

if it were me i'd be looking at a standalone.
    I count sheep in hex...

i have seen it done before

the method used was set it up as an 8 cylinder and wire the injectors and coils for every other cylinder on the firing order

then disable the injector/coil codes for the cylinders not in use

the advantage of this setup is the availability of aftermarket operating systems

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by scotte View Post
    i have seen it done before

the method used was set it up as an 8 cylinder and wire the injectors and coils for every other cylinder on the firing order

then disable the injector/coil codes for the cylinders not in use

the advantage of this setup is the availability of aftermarket operating systems
    Yup, I've heard of others doing this. A very successful turbocharged application in particular. I'm currently experimenting with a 20R. I'll post my results as I go.

If anyone has anymore to add, I'm all ears. Any thoughts on running ignition alone? I'm trying to think of the scenario's that the pcm will run through from key on to allow the coils to fire in time.

I worked on a car last week that had a V6 computer from a 98 that was running a stock 98 Ls1 engine. Didn't think that was possible, but it worked. Had to swap to a 98 V8 though to tune it.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    I worked on a car last week that had a V6 computer from a 98 that was running a stock 98 Ls1 engine. Didn't think that was possible, but it worked. Had to swap to a 98 V8 though to tune it.
    a vortec pcm reading a 24x ring?

vortec pcm reading a 24x ring?
    Nope, it was a v6 Firebird.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C