Thread: Vcm Not Reading, Fuel Relay Clicking, No Start Please Help!!!!

Potential Tuner

Exclamation Vcm Not Reading, Fuel Relay Clicking, No Start Please Help!!!!

I have a 6.0L LS style engine (lq4) retrofit w/ torquer v2 cam aprox (232 dur @ .050 and .598 lift int/ext). 1.7 stock rockers, Ported LS6 Heads milled to 61cc. stock mls gasket, 96 mm aluminum ls2 style typhoon intake, 96 mm professional products throttle body, 3.08 (soon to be 4.11). 46lb fast ls2 injectors. 24x reluctor, back top cam sensor, front o2’s only, 100mm 5 wire flat maf w/ iat sensor , truck 2002 coils with heat sinks, No vats, emissions, etc. Tremec t56 magnum 6 speed. Using a standalone wiring harness from PCI. PCI also gave me a computer with a modified basic tune from a 2002 1500 truck V8. They modified gear, vats, cyl vol and a few other things. See attached tunes. I modified it several times, but have 3 main versions. 1st is original tune from PSI, which started and ran, just did not like the 100 mm maf and other things. Ver2 which ran good but need VSS closer for spedo. V3 which I modified vss pulses, timing idle and a few other things. I was basically trying to start dialing this thing in. I did a write calibration only on all. Seem to program fine on v3 until it finish and instead of just turning the fuel pump on/off like normal it just started to buzzing the fuel pump relay continuously. Battery voltage is fine. Laptop running battery (full charge) and not plugged in. I have seen several instances where this has happened by searching in google and here on hp tuners bulletin board, even talks about the buzzing relay. I have seen where a few mentioned had ver 2.23 beta. I have 2.23.474. I purchase the professional version$$$$. have found no way to connect to pcm will not communicate any longer, not even with a scan tool. Most people have had to replace pcm and have found no solution. If I do that will I have to use 2 more credits($$$)? I just got hp tuners last week. Couldn’t I just download same vin to new pcm? Has anyone figured out how to recover the ECM. Please help?

Senior Tuner
    Disconnect your pcm from power for awhile(disconnect battery). Try to do a write when you return power. It sounds like the pcm is dead, but this is worth a try. Hpt is not locked to vin, its locked to pcm id. If you go and get another pcm you will have to license with 2 more credits. An alternative is to buy from a supplier that can flash for you, send them your file and have it flashed in before they send it.

Good luck

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Looks like you changed the VSS pulses per from 4000 to 39, as stated in the help file modifying this constant to a low number(such as 5% of the original value) or 0 can result in pcm failure. Thats what I would lean to at this point to be honest.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner

Exclamation No start issue, vcm failure

You are correct. I could not get the spedometer in hp scanner tools to read corret speed. It seems to like the 30's. I do not know much about vcm tuning, and probably went about it wrong. It is hard to belive it would lock up the vcm just changing the vss #. What are my options I belive I have 8 total credits with my pro purchase. I hate to burn up 2 more to get another vcm. Is there a unlimited package for 2002 vcm's or something like that to where I can trade my credits in for that? I am going to try to disconnect the battery, but honestly I am extremly scared to try anything else as I may fry or lock up the 2nd vcm by just changing a value like vss that seemed safe. I know you have spoke with others with similar problem, did they all have to just by new vcm. I am going to try to disconnect the battery for a while and .

Potential Tuner

Exclamation

I just looked at the tune. You are 100% correct. I put in 39, which should have been 39,000. My rev 2 was too high at 111,000. Was going to put 39,000 and some how I lost the 3 zeros. I did not see that before. Good catch. I see I will have to be very careful. Rev2 actually ran very good except for engine would want to stop after pushing clutch and brake in, say coming down from 55 mph to a stop sign. Also my brake input is not connected, since I was told not necessary unless it is an auto. Maybe that is my engine stopping issue. I tried to find the 5% thing in help files in the program, but was unsuccessful. Are you looking at online help? 1st rodeo at HP Tuner’s and looks like I got a lot to learn. I actually thought I was doing good until the last flash and it lock up the pcm. Any other advise on trying to get it to communicate again?

If it is a cooked PCM there isn't much you can do besides replace it.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB