Thread: Timing resistor trick, iat switches.. but no timing change

Tuner in Training

Timing resistor trick, iat switches.. but no timing change

I have a 98 camaro, TFS, ls6 intake, headers, 150 wet kit. I just did the resistor trick and the intake temp is switching like it should and you can watch it change on the log, however when you watch the timing, nothing happens. I opened a intake advance pid in a histogram and that also shows no change in timing. This car is also showing almost 5* of knock with 11.5-12 a/f and even at 16* of timing it is still showing tons of knock. Would the knock be canceling out the iat timing? I am lost with this car..

any help would be appreciated

If you get KR with that AFR and timing, you have other problems.
    Does it happen only when you use the nitrous?
    Did you change the plugs to colder ones, like TR6 or BR7EF? stock plugs are too hot for 150 shot

With proper plugs you can advance the timing and get no knock with 91 octane even at stock advance.

11.5 AFR is too rich for a nitrous engine. Target to 12.5

Before you do anything, get rid of the knock (false or real)
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    TR6 plugs. In a NA log there will be .4 degrees of knock sometimes, I was just asuming that it was false knock because it comes and goes.

Tuner in Training
    I have also noticed that there is not an iat mult table listed. Why would they have the iat advance base but no mult table to activate it? Could this just be a 98 pcm deal?

get the latest Beta from HP support. IAT2 mult tables. My guess is coolant temp is not high enough to enable.

post up a log and file so other can look

Tuner in Training
    This is my first log after I got the car and wired up the iat trick. I am using 2.23 Beta
    Last edited by AlphaTuning; 11-04-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Look at your AFR readings when the nitrous kicks in. Your way lean. Then you transition to way rich, you idc is 77% at 4400 rpm, doubt you will make 6000rpm before you run out of injector. I realize you are trying to pull timing with iat, but your at 28.5 degrees when the nitrous comes in. Your tune needs help, post it.

Tuner in Training
    I understand it needs help, which is why I have it. I got this car from a "tuner" in my area. This is pulled directly from the car. Only change I made to it was the IAT Advance.

Senior Tuner
    The tune you posted says maf ol. While it is an open loop tune presently, it is not maf. The VE tables are still being used. The VE and MAF both need to be tuned. You have a wideband and the instructions are on the forum. Pull the timing back. I would not be running any more nitrous throught this thing, from the jumping around in the log your lucky it hasnt done serious damage already.

I agree. The tune needs a lot of work.
    Don't log that many parameters, it makes your datalogs too slow to be of any help.
    Specially with 98 computers, keep the number of logged bytes under 23

Stop using nitrous until you have everything dialed and under control for N/A, (no knock, no lean spots)
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    **UPDATE**

I have since tuned this car NA. The mult and mult2 tables are not available in the 98 pcm as of now. They were thought to be automatically set to 1 in 2.23 beta, but they are not. I have since sent my file over to HP Tuners support and they are working on adding it to the 98 pcm. They say it will be a 6 month process.

So if you are looking for a timing trick on a 98, get a timing controller.

Post the new tune up.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Here ya go... nothing too fancy.

i have added these tables to 2.23.796 or later

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Your VE looks way too high on the top end.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
    Your VE looks way too high on the top end.
    noted*

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    i have added these tables to 2.23.796 or later

Chris...
    Just downloaded the update from the site. Thank you sir! Hopefully this works now!

David
    Last edited by AlphaTuning; 11-07-2012 at 10:26 AM.