Thread: E67 random problems

Advanced Tuner

E67 random problems

So I don't know where to begin, so I will just list the problems that its having. Its the LSA with the Lingenfelter 650hp kit. Engine/harness is straight from GM installed in a 2012 Colorado. It has these problems:

-With key off, TPS reports 30% until you tap the throttle. TPS goes to ~15% for a few seconds and then returns to 30%

-After startup, it idles fine until you touch the throttle. After touching the throttle, idle jumps to ~1500rpms and idle adapt advance freezes wherever it was at when the throttle was touched. Also occurs while driving as it tried to push through the brakes at a stop while in gear.

-No power enrichment. It knocks up a storm even out of boost. Commanded AFR never changed from 14.68.

-Sometimes at idle it will open the throttle to around 31% and pull 24° of timing to try to maintain idle speed. Spark is occurring past top dead center at that point.

What gives? Anyone had any similar issues?

Advanced Tuner
    Here's a log of the madness. It's pretty messed up throughout the log, but really weird stuff happens at frame 3447. The throttle opens up another 9%, so it climbs to the top of the idle adapt overspeed table and pulls out 24 degrees. Nothing encourages this; it does it entirely on its own.

Good lord, it's worse than I thought whenever you called me last night. Idle ADAPT is stuck at -7.5. It looks like the E67 is looking for some sort of control signal and is getting nothing.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Advanced Tuner
    Worse than I thought too lol. It seems beyond any conclusive diagnosis at this point. Might just have to try a new ECM...

is the specific E67 and base OS file correct as a starting point that you are using?

while experimenting around i could get the same thing you are describing to happen when i tried to use a E67 ZR1 OS with a 90mm throttle body that is on my LS3 with TVS2300... i was doing this at the time as the GMPP OS i had been using still had low injector and MAF table allowances and i wanted to change injectors, etc without needing to scale... GMPP's recent OS solve this, but i did a lot of experimenting at the time and could get exactly what you describe to happen

i think what was happening was that there was an incompatibility with the E67's base throttle control program and the response it was getting even though i had "tuned" the OS so to speak for all the tables that were available.

And no fried ECM cause of this? ^

Wow.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

no the ECM was fine, there is something that isn't compatible... in fact since my IROC had been running fine with the older GMPP controller and the GMPP harness prior to even trying a VIN verified specific ZR1 E67 with ZR1 OS i went through an pin out mapped each of the GMPP E67 points and ZR1 E67 points from the GM Manual (of which i did find an error they had in the book by going through this detail)...

fortunately GMPP has been updating their controllers so i have a nice core OS now with good fuel / MAF range that is E67 based... the only bad side is you have to buy any spares through them as it does not seem their normal TIS system supports loading GMPP OS's

Advanced Tuner
    So I found out the other day that the LSA throttle body has been on the truck with the original truck ECM this whole time. The clowns who did the swap initially had no idea what they were doing, so I can't say what mix of ECM/TB this vehicle has seen. So it is possible that some incompatibility has fried something. I told them to replace the TB with the proper one, but I am not certain it is going to work at this point given that parts have already been mixed. If the throttle replacement does not work, then they will be dumping another $100 on a credit to try the GMPP ECM.

Advanced Tuner
    The TB swap didn't work. These are the original matching parts, so either the mismatch damaged an ECM or there are wiring issues.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by alan91z28 View Post
    is the specific E67 and base OS file correct as a starting point that you are using?

while experimenting around i could get the same thing you are describing to happen when i tried to use a E67 ZR1 OS with a 90mm throttle body that is on my LS3 with TVS2300... i was doing this at the time as the GMPP OS i had been using still had low injector and MAF table allowances and i wanted to change injectors, etc without needing to scale... GMPP's recent OS solve this, but i did a lot of experimenting at the time and could get exactly what you describe to happen

i think what was happening was that there was an incompatibility with the E67's base throttle control program and the response it was getting even though i had "tuned" the OS so to speak for all the tables that were available.
    Just to clarify, I am using the stock ECM that came with the truck. I've just swapped out all necessary information for the LSA. They are both E67s.

Advanced Tuner
    Still fighting this thing. Plugging in the rear ABS sensors (the truck had a Moser 9" swapped in, but was removed) and REP mode is now gone. The rest of the problems remain. Here's a video of throttle activity...

http://youtu.be/6GjjVuF3LbI

Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    Still fighting this thing. Plugging in the rear ABS sensors (the truck had a Moser 9" swapped in, but was removed) and REP mode is now gone. The rest of the problems remain. Here's a video of throttle activity...

http://youtu.be/6GjjVuF3LbI
    Looks like the axis justification is way off. If anything it should register 84% Commanded TPS at WOT. We're back to TB not jiving with ECM. For some reason anyways.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Advanced Tuner
    Remember I swapped out all of that information? In fact I swapped it back and forth several times trying new stuff. I am sick of this truck...

Regardless, that 100% value is actual throttle desired position, not relative.

John at Speartech thinks the issue is due to a corrupt file in the ECM. His recommendation was to start with a fresh GM SPS flash and then modify the file as needed. He also recommended checking that the service number of the E67 is a correct year match for the particular LSA file that I am using, but I am just using the Colorado ECM with modified parameters. I'm not sure if that last part is pertinent or not.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    Remember I swapped out all of that information? In fact I swapped it back and forth several times trying new stuff. I am sick of this truck...

Regardless, that 100% value is actual throttle desired position, not relative.

John at Speartech thinks the issue is due to a corrupt file in the ECM. His recommendation was to start with a fresh GM SPS flash and then modify the file as needed. He also recommended checking that the service number of the E67 is a correct year match for the particular LSA file that I am using, but I am just using the Colorado ECM with modified parameters. I'm not sure if that last part is pertinent or not.
    All in all, Have you checked the pinout on the TB? Possibility that a stop lead is wired to the TPS sensor and vice versa. Throttle would still sort of work, but it'd be all jacked up. And probably eventually throw a P0606 due to internal grounding fault.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Advanced Tuner
    No, I haven't personally. Because I'm not getting paid to work on the vehicle. Just tune it. I am doing too much already considering all the various problems this thing has had. But I have instructed them to check all circuits.
    Last edited by smokeshow; 11-14-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    So they went through every circuit, double checked everything. Its all good. I licensed the GMPP ECM that came with the crate motor...same thing. Spontaneously opens the throttle and pulls timing to control idle. Its fighting itself for no reason.

Frame 1158 is where the throttle goes full retard.
    Last edited by smokeshow; 11-16-2012 at 04:44 PM.

when you tried the GMPP ECM did you also try it with the TB that the crate motor came with vs the original truck TB?

Advanced Tuner
    Update: figured this out about a week ago. The erratic throttle behavior, incorrect MAP sensor reading, false dynamic cylinder air...was all the product of some corrupted file in the ECM. Brought the truck to the dealership for a reflash on their equipment and everything worked smoothly. Finished tuning it that night and had it shipped off

Tuner in Training
    Not sure if you will see this or remember, but when you had the dealership reflash the ecm, did they reflash it with the Colorado Operating system?