Thread: Help with tuning a series 2 L67

Potential Tuner

Lightbulb Help with tuning a series 2 L67

I`ve noticed my LTFT are all over the place need help with tuning im running my stock tune right now only thing that has been edited was the dtc`s for the rear O2 delete along with O2 simulator. My mods are factory supercharger pulley, ZZP stage 2 P&P heads 105lbsprings etc, factory length comp cams pushrods, factory cam, plog, ported rear exhaust manifold, 3" catless dp, 4" fwi, AL606 gapped at .60. I need to know where to start with tuning I have some KR and it will go away if I let off the throttle and slowly apply it again. I do not have a wideband and I also have a rear O2 delete, so I can not tune WOT. So how to start, copy and paste my high octane into my low octane save and flash that over then keep repeating the same process until im happy? Do I go through any tables and hand smooth the numbers closer in the cels or nope. Do I change anything before copy and pasting the Fuel tables like reset fuel trims or unplug the MAF, or do I use HPTuners to turn the MAF off along with unplugging it also? I will be tuning with HPTuners standard version, along with a Aeroforce scan gauge to help me watch things along with HPTuners. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Overboost101; 10-27-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Not anybody? I know i`m not to clear with my words I dont mind posting a tune, etc.

Potential Tuner
    Can anybody help me with tuning a L67 with no wideband & HPTuners standard. The mods are AL606 gapped at .60, factory SC pulley, ZZP STG2 P&P heads 105lbs springs etc, Comp Cam pushrods factory length, factory cam, 4" FWI, PLOG, rear PEM, crossover, 3" catless dp, rear O2 delete with O2 emulator along with proper DTC`s via HPTuners. Just rebuilt the engine due to a spun rod bearing, everything is new but I can see some knock on my Scangauge and my LTFT`s are crazy. I`m running the factory tune with the rear O2 delete & O2 emulator. Also the car seems to not run boost like it use to before like the car doesnt have the timing for the boost or etc i`m not to sure or smart with HPTuners but with help I can get the job done I just need help because I cant afford a $700 4HR DYNO tune also I already have the software along with a rebuilt engine and I would not want a DYNO tune i`m not trying to make a HP monster I just want a mildly tuned/modded L67.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Quote Originally Posted by Overboost101 View Post
    So how to start, copy and paste my high octane into my low octane save and flash that over then keep repeating the same process until im happy? Do I go through any tables and hand smooth the numbers closer in the cels or nope. Do I change anything beforand e copy pasting the Fuel tables like reset fuel trims or unplug the MAF, or do I use HPTuners to turn the MAF off along with unplugging it also?
    1. Start by making sure your engine is running absolutely 100% with nothing broken and no bad sensors whatsoever. 2. Then you can safely eliminate your knock issues. 3. Only at that point would it be advisable to really start making signifigant changes to the tune (Timing,MAF tuning,ect). Definately post the tune especially with a scan log of the knock if you can safely do it. I am curious, how much knock and when (WOT after 3-4 seconds about 5-8 degrees)? It's possible that nothing's wrong with your car. It could be commanding just a little to rich AFR which I've seen theese V6's are notorious for, and can cause KR by itself. It may also be possible for the extreme airflow mods to give you trouble with your trims on a stock tune so again, cross your fingers. This is best case. You said it used to run better and now seems to run differently, let's hope you just got used to the power. It seems like you've been reading around already, great keep that up! After you get 1. & 2. squared up you should be O.K. following the Russ K. method for MAF tuning. As your car came with a supercharger from the factory, I would assume your VE tables are already set up as such. So only do those in the future, if you get really bored one day.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 10-28-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your words of wisdom I will tune by Russ K. Method of MAF tuning. You see I just rebuilt the engine, due to a spun rod bearing from coolant issue. Everything mechanically seems in harmony, though my 3" catless dp with the rear o2 delete with the o2 emulator. Will actually cause my tune to act its way with the LTFT's, because the pcm has a Cat Diagnostic Test. In which happens is, it'll add more fuel to check the cats efficiency as this is going on the pcm is sending signals and receiving signals from the front and rear o2 sensors. So this will show some KR sometimes, or your LTFT's will go +rich when your cruising,which is because of the added fuel from diagnostics test for the cat test. An usually you'll run pig rich so I need to find a way to delete my Cat Diagnostics Test somehow.

Potential Tuner
    I've been 3800 forum hopping and I've noticed the grand prix forum has help me alot since we run the same engine. An they experience the same problems with the ltft's being rich and some slight knock, and that's where I was informed of the Cat Diagnostic Test. Its when we delete the rear o2 an plug up an emulator, this just causes problems with doing nothing because the Cat Diagnostic Test still cycles during driving cycles until, you delete the Cat Diagnostics Test. If I can find a way I would keep the catless dp and tune, or Im going to, put in a factory downpipe get the u bend weld delete with a straight piece and tune.

Potential Tuner
    I just want my new rebuilt engine everything new blower etc to be happy, its nerve racking dealing with this after the rebuild but the rebuild went smooth and everything come out clean, got cleaned, looked amazing etc, was filled clean then sounded amazing. Until this Cat Diagnostics test problem with my straight pipe, along with my pcm being smart causing me to dump that fuel and I go rich lol

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    If you honestly feel that it's just the Cat. test giving you trouble than check this out. 1. Don't kill the messanger, this is just what I've read around. 2. Seriously I don't know that it'll work, I'm so lazy I have'nt even taken the 15 minutes to un-plug my rear o2's just to see if this actually can work or the propper way to do it.

" .Set rear o2 codes to 2NoMIL .You will run the rich cycle for about 20 seconds, then set off DTC# P0140 Rear o2 Sensor Not Enough Activity."

Unfortunately I don't know whether you set P0140 to status 2NoMIL as well, or mabey you can set that one to 3NoErrorReported, or mabey you will be forced to leave that one alone all together. Hope this helps you out man!
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 10-29-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Think I've figured it out, I've been 3800 forum hopping and talking with people etc. I'll keep everyone posted and hopefully, she'll be running a little smoother soon.

Tuner in Training
    If you don't have a cat or aren't worried about it, you could try this:

Engine error codes unchecked SES enable and set to no error reported:
    P036 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2
    P0137 HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
    P0138 HO2S Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
    P0139 HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 2 (was already disabled / no error reported)
    P0140 HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2
    P0141 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2
    P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency
    P0430 Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 2 (was already disabled)
    P2A01 O2 Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2

Also in the Engine, fuel -> COT (cat over temp) set the engine coolant temp to 284. That should disable fuel being added to save the cats...

Tuner in Training
    Overboost101, what did you find out / wind up doing?
    you delete the Cat Diagnostics Test
    I was told that this can't be done with HPT ??? over here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...463#post313463

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    Overboost101, what did you find out / wind up doing?
    I was told that this can't be done with HPT ??? over here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...463#post313463
    That's exactly what I said... you can't delete the test with HPT... the OP may have an older W-body that's supported by DHP. I used tiny tuner and a DHP to kill my cat efficiency test. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, your 05 isn't supported by DHP because they were out of business before your car was made.
    2005 Cadillac SRX - Bone Stock... nothing to see here

Welcome to HPTuners, and tuning. If your patient, you can get tons of advice on this forum. I am not an expert, but if your running a stock tune with lots of mods, scan for knock and tune your MAF first. Make one change to your tune at a time, and scan for results. Don't make 3 or 4 changes to your tune because you won't know how each change affected your tune. And to save typing time when you post questions, put your mod list in your signature. Do lots of reading, and Good Luck.
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

Quote Originally Posted by 01abboud View Post
    That's exactly what I said... you can't delete the test with HPT... the OP may have an older W-body that's supported by DHP. I used tiny tuner and a DHP to kill my cat efficiency test. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, your 05 isn't supported by DHP because they were out of business before your car was made.
    Its a few years later, can we delete this test with HPT? I am running 2.24
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now
    Previous Rides: 2008 G8 GT, 2004 GTO, 2004 GTP, 2002 TA

Potential Tuner
    I sold my Regal a couple years ago... along with the HPT (I suppose I should update my signature). I can't imagine they've put much effort into adding additional capability to the W-body platform. On the upside, you're in Michigan... so you might get lucky and find somebody nearby that has a DHP and can kill the test. What are you trying to tune?

2002 GTP. If I put the rear O2 sensor back on (with no cat) will it still run the test? I have .bin files from some previous tunes, but it seems that only DHP can change it (I have the tiny tuner, but it doesn't seem to have the option). Thanks.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now

Potential Tuner
    Gotcha. If i understand correctly, if you have the sensor there, it'll run and fail... which works, since you can just disable the code. The problem comes when it runs the test and doesn't get a response from the rear sensor, which is what happens when you delete the sensor completely. If you can put the sensor back, you should be in good shape, even without the cat!

Quote Originally Posted by 01abboud View Post
    Gotcha. If i understand correctly, if you have the sensor there, it'll run and fail... which works, since you can just disable the code. The problem comes when it runs the test and doesn't get a response from the rear sensor, which is what happens when you delete the sensor completely. If you can put the sensor back, you should be in good shape, even without the cat!
    Hmm..hoping to avoid that since the stock sensor was crossthreaded, which means I would have to go buy one...of course at this point it might be the only solution..unless there's an tune in the repository with that test turned off...

Tuner in Training
    I saw like 4 tunes for grand prix's in the repository, didn't notice if one of them had the cat diagnostic tuned out