Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GEN V LT1 !!!! here we go !

Advanced Tuner

GEN V LT1 !!!! here we go !

http://www.corvetteonline.com/tech-s...-block-reveal/

Q&A session: Computer codes will be hard to crack for those who want to hang power adders.

BE READY !!!!

I'm more concerned about the fact that the aftermarket isn't ready for DI.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Di ?

Direct injection

Should be interesting
    2003 Chevy Silverado Daily Driver, 408 Iron Block,
    LS3 Heads/Intake, 231/239 114, 4L80e, Yank SST 3200.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Were you mainly refering to the availability of larger aftermarket DI style injectors? On that note I wonder how far along ID has come with DI. Suffice to say there will most likely be some A-hole out there selling "re-drilled" direct injectors also.

I know ID had talked about it but really can't speak towards progress. If the aftermarket wants to survive, they'll have to find a way. The whole industry is moving to DI.

Advanced Tuner
    It's going to take a lot of capital to fund the R&D to jump-start the DI aftermarket. Not a lot of people have a surplus of cash laying around right now, unfortunately. It will slowly evolve, though.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yeah, from my understanding this will be the start of the gen 5 pcm's as well as these will likely be using a new ecm line, now we just need to get our hands on one.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Yeah, from my understanding this will be the start of the gen 5 pcm's as well as these will likely be using a new ecm line, now we just need to get our hands on one.
    Any idea if it will be a Delphi or Bosch PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Will these be supported in 2.23?

From my understanding the DI at certain pressure is capable of 127lb/hr... that's plenty of fuel for most people I would think considering less fuel is wasted during exhaust events. Only time will tell though... I'm more importantly looking to see how hard it'd be to use those badass looking cyliner heads on an older engine with conventional injectors with the DI holes plugged....
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    From my understanding the DI at certain pressure is capable of 127lb/hr... that's plenty of fuel for most people I would think considering less fuel is wasted during exhaust events. Only time will tell though... I'm more importantly looking to see how hard it'd be to use those badass looking cyliner heads on an older engine with conventional injectors with the DI holes plugged....
    To use those cylinder heads you would have to have the cam lobes swapped. They are backwards compared to Gen3-4.

Advanced Tuner
    some joker on tech was bragging that the ec was "uncrackable" for "your own good" hopefully hptuners and everyone else in the industry strap in and break this in record time.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    From my understanding the DI at certain pressure is capable of 127lb/hr... that's plenty of fuel for most people I would think considering less fuel is wasted during exhaust events.
    The injectors flow 127.X lb/hr at 1,4XX pressure, if I remember right. They increase flow rate to over 2,200 PSI. So, long story short, only the most extreme cases are going to need to upgrade injectors.

As for boost, the LTX on the tilt rig is twin turbocharged.

Quote Originally Posted by GregRexAdams View Post
    As for boost, the LTX on the tilt rig is twin turbocharged.
    I thought the turbo engine in the video on the tilt rig was a V6 not a V8?
    2010 GXP Maloo ute, LS3, 6L80E.
    MM heads, 240/252@50 solid cam, 12.75:1 compression, 4500 Dominator converter, 3.46 rears.
    Shooting for 10s eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by GregRexAdams View Post
    The injectors flow 127.X lb/hr at 1,4XX pressure, if I remember right. They increase flow rate to over 2,200 PSI. So, long story short, only the most extreme cases are going to need to upgrade injectors.
    You guys are forgetting that the available injection window for DI is MUCH smaller than it is for port fuel. Port fuel injectors have the luxury of injecting pretty much any time and using up to 100% on-time to get the fuel in the charge. (We usually keep this to less than 80-90% duty cycle to protect the ECU's drivers though.)

With DI, you have a much smaller window of opportunity to complete the fuel delivery. Added to that, the fuel requires some small amount of time to evaporate prior to combustion as well. This means that we now only have ~25% of the previous window available, so we NEED injectors that at almost 4x larger flow rate just to keep up. Part of this is accomplished with higher pressure, and part of it is the injectors themselves having greater flow rates.

Oh by the way, the high pressure pump is also a big limiting factor on available fuel flow. These are neither cheap nor readily upgraded in the aftermarket due to the complexity of the ECU controls for them.

I will not be the least bit surprised when people start running out of fuel delivery on these engines with significant modifications.

Excellent point, didnt think of that. I wonder how hard it would be to add a second set of traditional port fuel injectors....would have to heavily modify the intake though, but Im getting way ahead of myself.

Not only do you need to modify the intake to physically install the injectors (and a rail, and a regulator), but you also need to accurately control the fuel mass delivered from them, and blend it smoothly with whatever is being delivered by the DI injectors.

...or we could go back to the dark ages and have random aux injector controllers doing their own thing apart from the ECU and HOPE that fueling is somewhere near some moving target...

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    While I agree that the aftermarket isn't up to par with DI as it is for port injection, I don't think it's as far off as everyone thinks.
    While it's still considered by many to be "small shop hack" stuff, many of the LNF (Cobalt SS/TC) vendors have made decent advancements in trying to accommodate fueling, in the form of larger fuel pump lobes, and axillary fueling.

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    Not only do you need to modify the intake to physically install the injectors (and a rail, and a regulator), but you also need to accurately control the fuel mass delivered from them, and blend it smoothly with whatever is being delivered by the DI injectors.

...or we could go back to the dark ages and have random aux injector controllers doing their own thing apart from the ECU and HOPE that fueling is somewhere near some moving target...
    I see your concern. But as with all many situations, people will hack stuff together for more power, until something viable in the controls side is available. I can tell that it bothers you to know that it happens... but that's just how it is.
    I can see many people going the port fuel route until a fuel system upgrade is available.

Not to say that there aren't accurate dual delivery systems. They do exist, but they aren't exactly economical for most applications.
    Tyler