Thread: Cavalier Reflash

Potential Tuner

Cavalier Reflash

I have a 98 Cavalier RS with a custom build and I need to find a VIN for a reflash. After I burned the motor down on a 3500 mile road trip I decided to upgrade to the "better" interior since I was tearing it apart anyways which meant a complete wiring upgrade. I still have the Isuzu 5 spd but I now have an 03 ls interior harness and bcm, an 01 2200 for the engine but I built an 02 engine harness out of one for an automatic w/ a/c and abs since I opted for the firewall mounted ecu instead of the fender mounted pcm since the car is subject to high salt exposure and corrosion. I had a buddy tell me to search ebay and other like sites but all I can find is one for an 02 that is a 5 spd w/ a/c, cruise, AND abs which I've already removed and would not like to reinstall.. Since my internet time is limited I briefly looked though this site but with no success. Any help would be great so I can at least get back to a somewhat stock setup before boosting. To not be confusing I'm looking for a VIN for a 2002 2200 w/ a/c and cruise but NO abs. I'm sure I'm forgetting some little detail on the vehicle description so please bare with me since I am limited with time on the internet. Any and all help is appreciated.

Senior Tuner
    The Pcm doesn't know or care if you have ABS, that is the Bcm's function.
    So any 2002 2200 Vin will work.

A couple issues you will have though (if your BCM and PCM Vins do not match) SIR inop and Warning light on, and an Options mismatch code.

You are best to get a 2002 BCM, use that VIN and then have the ABS turned off via the Tech2

Potential Tuner
    I can start with that for the abs but my biggest concern is the 02 ecu is from an auto and I have the manual. Car runs "ok" but mileage is horrible, like 20-22, and it losses all power at around 3000 rpm when its cold. Idle doesn't drop between shifts but I know thats because of programming. I posted this more for finding a VIN to reflash but if the bcm controls the abs then the vin I found off an 02 5 spd ls (2200) should work and I just need an 02 bcm then a reflash. Guess I was confused because I was told that the class 2 data systems were the same for the cavs/fires from 00-05 so the only big thing was whether it had fobs or not. Well that and I used an 01 Z harness in my 99 4dr when I did the eco swap and used the 01 bcm and the 04 ecu with no program and no codes and the 01 had abs and the 04 ecu didnt and i used the non abs master.

Senior Tuner
    The ClassII does work the same, the issue is when all the modules do not have the same Vin.
    You can not change the VIN in the Bcm, once it is programmed in it is locked.
    However you can change the Vin in the Sdm via TechII and obviously change the Vin in the Pcm as well to match the Bcm.

A auto ECU will run a 5 speed car just fine. This has been done many times. Sounds like you have other issues.

Potential Tuner
    Finally brought the car into the dealer for a Reflash but it wouldn't take the 02 VIN for a 5 speed. I had to go this route because the guy I knew with hp tuners software has zero experience on Cavys. The car runs great now and the only codes it is throwing after the original 98 vin Reflash with GM's upgrades is shift solenod a, torque conv. input shaft and 3 pending codes on the tc, solenod a and solenod b. so basically just auto codes. Rumor has it you can zero out the tranny tables but no one including the dealer can confirm the table values between an auto and manual. Is this correct? A helpful hint would help so I can get the cruise control working and enjoy ALL the options I put on this car.

You can turn off the auto codes with hpt. Might even be able to make it a manual by a simple switch of one table in the tyranny section.

Tuner
    I just found a 1998 2.2 manual trans file in the repository. And it does have a drop down manual to select Manual or Auto trans.
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L