Thread: About the tune, log, and config files

About the tune, log, and config files

Completely new to tuning

Ok, I have downloaded the hpt file from the pcm into my computer. So I have the current tune available to post.

I need to know more about these .cfg and log files.

When I run the scanner there is a button that says "save config file" Do I save the file after I drive it for a while? Do I just do a quick scan and then save the file for submittal? How do I know when my cfg file is ready to save and submit.

On the right hand side of the tool bar there is another save button that says "Save Data As" I am assuming this is for the log file.

Again, how do I record data for this file to get it ready for submittal when I need questions answered?

Much abliged,

Ethan

thanx for all the help

Potential Tuner

good question

I have the same question, Hope someone helps out.

Advanced Tuner
    spend some time reading the stickies.

Mike,

Trust me, I have read the stickies and I have read the help file and I have ordered the books by Greg Banish and I have Google searched my questions and I do AS MUCH reading as I POSSIBLY can and I search as long as I have time for. I try to find the info myself before I waste anyone's valuable time with newbie questions. (note I posted in the newbie section)

Understand my time is valuable too. I am a Mechanical Engineering student and thus I don't have time to peruse this forum all day till I find the answer. I payed 600 dollars for this software and there is virtually NO support for it to get me started. No tutorial videos, no tutorial manuals on how to use the software. Nothing. I'm certainly willing and able to learn but I'm kindof feeling around in the dark here.

Before I can post my tune to ask for help I have to know about these .log and .cfg files. I don't even know what the .cfg file is. If it is in the stickies section I haven't found it, or I am an idiot. In any case, I am merely asking for someone to take 2 or 3 minutes to answer my dumb question. I thought that was what forums were for.

Sorry for being such an irritating newbie posting in the newbie section with newbie questions.

As a mechanical engineer student, you should be able to figure it out (I am a BSME, and the help file was sufficient for me).

A config file is just that... a configuration. If you want to save data, you need to save a log. The config file is just telling the scanner what you want to record. The log file is the actual recorded data.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan_Bill_Bennett View Post
    Completely new to tuning

Ok, I have downloaded the hpt file from the pcm into my computer. So I have the current tune available to post.

I need to know more about these .cfg and log files.

When I run the scanner there is a button that says "save config file" Do I save the file after I drive it for a while? Do I just do a quick scan and then save the file for submittal? How do I know when my cfg file is ready to save and submit.

On the right hand side of the tool bar there is another save button that says "Save Data As" I am assuming this is for the log file.

Again, how do I record data for this file to get it ready for submittal when I need questions answered?

Much abliged,

Ethan
    Apparently you are able to scan without problems. When you have your scan ran then hit the space bar to stop. Then under scan what I do is click "save data as", give it a name and save it. Or if you like you can export it to a spread sheet. I've found spread sheets to be very handy as well as the HP tables and charts. I normally scan with the table in the window as I can read it better.

The config. file is your list of the PIDs (items logged). To save it assuming you made the config to your liking then under file, click save config as, give it a name and it will be saved. A link to HP should be in your documents. You can get to all your config files via this link under VCM Scanner.

to DSteck and 8850, THANK YOU!!!

One last quick question and I will let it be. WHAT should I scan when I need help. Say I want help with Idle... Do I just let the car idle, run a scan, save it and submit it? Or do I need to take the car out, do a couple of pulls, and then save? What kind of data would you guys need to see if you were gonna help someone with an idle issue?