Thread: So FRUSTRATED WITH NGK AND HPTUNERS!!

Potential Tuner

Angry So FRUSTRATED WITH NGK AND HPTUNERS!!

Ok so I have my NGK AFX WB wired directly to the battery on a toggle switch on the ground side and analog output wired into pins one and 5 of EIO. my Im attempting to log Lamba error. My formula for lambda is put in as V/10.42 +.62 using commanded Lambda to compar however my AFX box reads around 14.20 and Lambda error display in the tables read .75 lambda yet when I drive down the road floor it anything the reading in the table NEVER changes other than .75 to .76 and when I log err against MAF frequency I get 1 across the histogram like everything is fine. Ive got a CAI and 1 7/8" primary headers why arent I getting any MAF error and why if my formula is correct isnt my tabled Lamda err never changing?!

Advanced Tuner
    I've had the same problem from the exact same set up, whenever its at .75 lambda its the connection from the EOI on mine. I sometimes have to put pressure on the wires into the connector and it will read.
    2006 Holden Monaro I Phantom Black Metallic I Red I One of 416
    L92/L76 I Streetsweeper HTR I SLP LT I LoudMouth 2
    JHP V2 I Powdercoated Black 18s I Kyne Splitter

2001 GTP I Stock DD

There is a simple check for this, which nobody does.. this was talked about here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...t=30452&page=4

-----> "the Unit goes low (0.62 Lambda) right after it goes 1 lambda... so just cycle the power to the NGK wideband and see if HPTuners is reading properly. If not, find what the problem is... if the formula is wrong then tweek the Formula in HP Tuners until you get it right... keep cycling power... I dialed in two readings and cycled the AFX until both low and Stoich (14.68) matched perfectly. Very simple and extremely accurate. My final numbers are: V/0.6992 (14.68AFR) + 9.095 (9.10ARF)"

You may even want to do this with the engine running, at idle with alot of electrical load vs. no electrical load (ac on, heated seats, defrost, headlights) and cut power to the NGK for a second and see what readings you get for low/lambda... make sure they are consistent. If they are not (different between loaded and unloaded.) then all your going to be able to do is average the two.

Don't ever listen to anybody if they say you don't have to check it or just enter a formula. Everybody's equipment is different, just like every engine runs a bit different and you have to check it (MAF Tuning, PE Tuning, STFT, LTFT tuning).
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    Don't ever listen to anybody if they say you don't have to check it or just enter a formula. Everybody's equipment is different, just like every engine runs a bit different and you have to check it (MAF Tuning, PE Tuning, STFT, LTFT tuning).
    Check, yes, but don't nickel and dime it over 0.1% error. If the proper formula is way off, then you have a wiring issue and shouldn't be trying to fix it by changing the transfer function.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Are you sure the V output is 0-5V and not to 1V?because the value is closer to V=1 in your formula. Check with a multimeter the output

Been using the NGK for a couple years now and verify it's readings with a Haltech wideband that is connected to my dyno. You have a wiring issue sounds like to me.

Also I would NOT use the toggle switch on the main ground side of the unit because with the positive still getting connection sometimes it will try to back feed through the ground side of the analog ouput through the HPT cable and cause the wideband to flicker. Alway's put the switch on the Positive side to keep this from happening.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Potential Tuner

Pushing on!

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm going to move my switch the hot side, extend the analog ground to the same location on the battery with the same gauge wire. I'll also toggle around with the wires on the EIO and make sure they are solid. I'm also going to read through that link to that other forum and go through things with a fine tooth comb. However one thing I am pretty solid on is the equation I'm using. The scale and math is near spot on its just not reading the signal to calculate it. Once again I want to extend a thank you to everyone's input and help. I know some guys get on here get there answers and you never hear from em again so just want to let yall know your help is appreciated from this eager learning beginner.