Thread: 2012 ZL1 Explain Knock Learn Factor to me

Tuner

2012 ZL1 Explain Knock Learn Factor to me

I understand that 1.00 is optimal Knock learn and 0.00 is running off the low octane table. And in between is a blend of high octane table and low octane table. I've read a bunch of stuff on the Camaro forums about being stuck on the low octane table with the Gen 5 camaros. And people try to reset by pulling the fuses.
    I have a 2012 ZL1 and was curious what the Knock learn factor was so I scanned the car today and the KLF is all over the place. So I scanned all 8 cyl for knock learn. Some are bouncing all over and some are somewhat fixed at .26 or there abouts. Curious thing is all the odd # cylinders are the fixed ones and the even # cylinders are bouncing all around. So why is this. I tried pulling the fuses for the PCM and no change. Tried disconnecting the battery and no change. Now I have the battery disconnected and leaving it that way over night. But I expected pulling the battery would reset all the Knock Learn to 1.00 but that doesn't happen.

I'm attaching the log file from this afternoon
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ZO6_Bryan; 10-13-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    Bryan

Tuner
    2nd scan is after pulling battery
    Bryan

Not sure if this is 100% what you want, but the way I understand it is this as I have a log with some knock that shows the knock learn factor incrementing, but as soon as the knock quit's, the knock learn factor goes back to 0.00.

knock Lean of 0.00 = 100% reading from the high octane table.

As the PCM see's knock, it will increment the knock learn factor, which makes it start reading from the low octane table.

What I am unsure of, is how high the knock learn will go, and what makes it stick high, making the PCM lock to the low octane table.

I also heard, once the knock learn factor is high enough, or locked into the low octane table, the knock lean factor wont reset until the gas tank runs low, then is refilled, then knock learn factor resets and the high octane table starts again.

Pulling the battery simply resets the knock learn factor, allowing timing back to the high octane table.

The resetting of the knock learn/low octane table when you refill the gas tank makes sense as once it's detected bad gas, the bad gas will stay bad until you refill.

EDIT: I just looked at your logs, while I dont have the individual cyl. knock learn factor being logged, I do have the "Knock Learn Factor" being logged... and mine only increases when I get actual knock. Your's is bouncing all over the place, like you said but I didnt see any knock in the log.

I have a 2010 Camaro LS3, something tells me we are looking at different parameters.

EDIT AGAIN: Attached my log of Knock Learn in action @ 23738 (and yes, this knock has been noticed during extreme fast WOT... still working on solution other than slowing the Throttle Opening Rates)
    Last edited by 10_SS; 10-13-2012 at 11:05 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner
    Exactly, it's all over the place. And I thought 1.00 was no knock detected and 0.00 was running off the low octane table. You stated the opposite. Can anyone clear this up.
    Bryan

just posted my log file in my original post and details/proof for you to look at the way it works for me.. maybe it's different for the 12 ZL1.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    just posted my log file in my original post and details/proof for you to look at the way it works for me.. maybe it's different for the 12 ZL1.
    I don't see knock learn logged in your file. I don't even see knock retard being logged
    Bryan

Advanced Tuner
    KLF shall be always at 0, so it meansbyou are running on high octane table. If the PCM reveals some knockretard default over 2° it starts increasing the value according to a table you can change with different increase for 2,4,6,8,10°. When KLF is at 1 means you are running on low octane table only. Numbers in the middle means proportianal readings from low and high octane done by the pcm

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6_Bryan View Post
    I don't see knock learn logged in your file. I don't even see knock retard being logged
    Oh it's in there... you might have to change some scanner PID's or something to see them since you may have different setup.

When I view other people's logs sometimes I dont see things due to this.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    Oh it's in there... you might have to change some scanner PID's or something to see them since you may have different setup.

When I view other people's logs sometimes I dont see things due to this.
    More than half the PIDs say "unsupported parameter" and doesn't let me change them. Normally when I open a log file it displays in whatever config it was recorded in. But not this log.

I'm using the beta now because it supports the 2012's Might have something to do with it.
    Last edited by ZO6_Bryan; 10-14-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6_Bryan View Post
    More than half the PIDs say "unsupported parameter" and doesn't let me change them. Normally when I open a log file it displays in whatever config it was recorded in. But not this log.

I'm using the beta now because it supports the 2012's Might have something to do with it.
    Im having the same problem viewing your log files... Im on Beta 2.23.767... not sure why that is happening. I could send you my config and I could get yours, I wonder if that would fix it. Mine is attached however the current config I've been using is updated with a few new PID's that werent there with the log file I posted.

BTW I would email support if I were you and ask if that is normal behaviour... none of my log files do that... at worst, my Knock Learn increments slowly and steadily if there's alot of knock, otherwise it stays at 0.00 all the time.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 10-15-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner
    I'm on Beta 2.23.612 I thought I had the newest version. Maybe they fixed some bugs.

Edit
    Just downloaded new beta. Link on my cust. page had been updated. Had to download and run it to find out it was the same as yours. Now I see all your data. Need to scan my car with the new version and see if things look more normal. Must have been a bug in 2.23.612
    Last edited by ZO6_Bryan; 10-16-2012 at 01:26 AM.
    Bryan