Thread: Disconnect MAF, Tune VE, AC Quits

Disconnect MAF, Tune VE, AC Quits

When I disconnect the MAF to tune the VE table, my AC does not work. Anyone ever have this problem before????

Don't flame me, I have read hundreds of post that the VE tables do nothing for our cars, but on my GTP it works. My shaky idle is gone, shifting is smoother, and it even sounds better.
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

Advanced Tuner
    What I want to know is... why are you even tuning with the AC on?

The "myth" that VE tunes do nothing is just that, a myth. On some cars it indeed does nothing, on a 98 and 99 GTP it is proven to do quite a lot. I've been out of the tuning game a couple years, so I do not remember off the top of my head if a 2000 does or doesn't, but as I say in another thread, even if your car is one of the ones that is not affected by it, it is still a good idea to do it. if you do a VE tune and your MAF fails, you won't be driving around with massively rich fuel trims and lousy MPG. That alone is worth the price of admission, IMHO.
    Last edited by JerryH; 10-12-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

Thumbs down

LOL! Well Jerry, if I lived in Canada I might not need the AC this time of year. but here in Texas it still hit almost 90 this past week.

And yes, the main reason for tuning the VE table is in case the MAF ever fails.
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

Tuner in Training
    I just read a really good thread about VE tuning here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ight=v6+tuning

To me it seems like the consensus is to do VE tuning, on some vehicles it doesn't do much, but it's a good base to start from...

Senior Tuner
    A few years ago we came up with this... 0 the VE table out and see wht happens! I had a 2000 Grand Am GT that if I zeroed out the VE table the car went nuts, period, question answered... lol
    On top of that it was so modded if you unpluged the MAF it would not run at all! So, tune the VE's guys, my 2cnts
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    I just saw this

No, the maf afr % error histogram.This is used to scale the maf. I don't touch the ve table on the V6 cars as per HP Tuners advice.

Russ Kemp
    Over here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ghlight=v6+MAF

Maybe it's not a good idea to touch the stock VE table?

Tuner in Training
    did you get this figured out? My guess is that when the MAF fails, the PCM is failing to a safe mode (the reason for copying the high octane table to low) and shutting the AC off to keep from adding load to the engine.
    Corey McCarthy
    2005 2500 HD: 8100 and 4.10's Stock so far
    2000 Venture: Stock

Nope, never figured it out. I just make sure if I am tinkering with the VE tables that the weather is cool.

Senior Tuner
    I asked one of our mechanics here at the stealership, and he is telling me it is in fact part of the SD Mode the ECM falls into when the MAF fails
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the info. I had thought that for some time, but never found anyone at my local stealership who could confirm that----without them wanting me to bring my car in to reflash the PCM----not gonna happen---LOL!
    Last edited by coachcrow56; 04-12-2013 at 10:51 PM.