Thread: Turbo tuning for a 07 gmt900. 07 or 08 flash?

Tuner in Training

Turbo tuning for a 07 gmt900. 07 or 08 flash?

Im kinda confused here (what a surprise), i have a 2007 gmt900 silverado with a 5.3 and a rear mount 70mm turbo. I ordered my hpt yesterday and im fixing to try it myself. Ive beeen told to use a 2008 OS instead of my 07 file. can anyone shed some light on this?

And here is my combo and goal.

2007 silverado.
    stock 5.3
    homemade rear mount setup
    70mm turbo
    zr1 take out 52's

Would like to run SD if possible.

This is my first time trying anything like this so any advice on starting would be nice.

Ive beeen told to use a 2008 OS instead of my 07 file. can anyone shed some light on this?
    Yeah, dont do it. Custom OS flashes are generally considered risky business with these gen IV ecms. Im no expert by any means but I sure have seen my fair share of "roasted my ECM when i flashed new OS etc" when talking gen IV systems so for starters, dont do that.

As for how to sort out the rest of your tune? Cant help ya much I have no clue whats going in boost land yet. I have found the stickies to be very helpful when needed and the forced induction and tuning sections of LS1tech will have some good info for you there too.

Good luck

^ what?

OP, flash a 2.5bar OS onto your truck, get an LS9 MAP sensor, and have a blast.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    ^ what?

OP, flash a 2.5bar OS onto your truck, get an LS9 MAP sensor, and have a blast.
    lol. I just recently got into tuning. I have been reading and reading and reading for three weeks now and im still lost. Ive began to understand the perameter meanings (rpm vs. kpa, etc..) but i have yet to make heads or tails of where you guys are geting your numbers from.

For instance, power enrich.. I understand the rpm scale but see guys files that are boosting have that set to low digits ( 10-18) and N.A. guys are higher ( 80 ish) What does that number mean? Where does it come from and what does it do. I understand that it makes a negative and positive change.

That pretty much sums up all of the tables. The only one i pretty much get it the injector flow rate vs. pressure. haha. Ive got a long ways to go.

Tuner in Training
    Here is my goal. All of the turbo stuff is done. its down to tuning now. If i load my factory tune, where would i start from there? MAF? MAP? I pretty much have my injector data sorted out.

PE is actually very easy to understand. There's several tables that you'll need to utilize as well for boost. I know it's an extra 100 bucks, but updating your current system to the new E38 2.5bar allows you to run MAP only. With what you have now you're pretty much forced to keep the MAF. Also you get a PE and BE table that you can set accordingly to the truck. With the LS9 MAP you can support up to around 23psi on the new OS. I run it on all my own personal and customers boosted vehicles.

It really is the bees knees.
    Last edited by IDRIVEAG8GT; 10-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    Okay.. upgraded to E38/2.5 sd > then what? Here is how im understanding it. Load the SD tune make sure my injector data is right, go drive it, watch my wideband and if its going lean, add fuel. With the SD setup it shouldnt be much harder than that right? and i guess i need to pull timing down a little bit. im only shooting for 450-500 hp at the most.

Yeah make sure your injector data is right first. Then you can begin tuning the SD. Take a map out of like an 05 LS2 Vette and make yourself a base file. Go to the stickies and watch the tutorial Chris displays for making a VE table and properly putting the vehicle into SD mode. After that, fire it up tune your idle/cruise by using your STFT/LTFT in the scanner. That percentage that they're off is a direct representation that can be applied to the VE table.

There's much faster methods, but that is by far the easiest.

Also make sure you view the VE tables in 3D mode so that you can smooth the entire table when you are finished making changes to a certain section.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    will a 2 bar map sensor off of a cobalt work?

Quote Originally Posted by bk_cauley View Post
    will a 2 bar map sensor off of a cobalt work?
    Yeah but why would you go through all that when all you simply need is an LS9 sensor and possibly the Katech wiring adapter?

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Tuner in Training
    cause i already have one. and correct me if im wrong but are you talking about the 2 bar enhancement? in the custom OS drop down?
    Last edited by bk_cauley; 10-15-2012 at 10:33 AM.