Thread: Can someone look at my scan / tune?

Tuner in Training

Can someone look at my scan / tune?

Hi, I've been having HPTuners for a few years now, although never really got around to using it to it's potential. May have to start doing that.

Mods & Changes:

I have a cam & bolt on 2000 Camaro SS. The car was tuned by Futral Motorsports in 2010-2011ish. Since then I have changed the intake from a lid setup to a K&N FIPK, and changed the stock axle-back exhaust to a single in-out turbo muffler.The only adjustments I made to his tune is the fan temps because I added a 160 thermostat.

Futral does offer $60 re-tunes after the first, but they are located about 2 hours away and I would like to do what I can to fix my problems with my software for now.

Issues:

The STFT's are ridiculously high, sometimes going to 30+ at idle, and staying in the positives throughout the rpm range (except WOT). I'm guessing this has something to do with the car not being re-tuned in 2 years, and a higher flowing intake & exhaust. I used to get about 15mpg in the city, now it's around 12, I can smell the unburnt gasoline so easily now. Is there anything I can do to lean it out back to normal?

Also if I start the car with the a/c on it will sometimes surge a bit. If I have the car at operating temp and click the a/c on it will surge a bit and go back to 900rpms. As well as throwing a (throttle position sensor malfunction) SES code only when the a/c is turned on for more than 5 minutes, my TPS sensor was replaced about a year ago and works fine when the a/c isn't on.

One other thing is the Bank 1 o2 sensor throws a code (but no SES) saying the heater inside the sensor is no good. I have a new one just haven't installed it yet, would this be a good idea to change even though it's not throwing a SES? I'm guessing the heater in the o2 sensor is for cold starts. I'm not sure how to read the o2 B1 and o2 B2 charts in the scanner, if someone can chime and and tell me if they look normal or not that would be awesome.

PCM] P0121 - TP Sensor Circuit Insufficient Activity (History) (Immature)
    [PCM] P0135 - HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1 (Old) (Immature)
    [PCM] P1626 - Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Received (History) (Immature)

Tune file / & Scan (normal driving) from today attached, a/c was turned on toward the end but no surge because car was warm.

Any help would be appreciated, 12MPG sucks. Thanks!
    Last edited by airattack111; 10-09-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added DTC's

Advanced Tuner
    Change the O2 and fix the tps problem. Give it a fresh set of plugs, clean the maf and start tuning. Download a stock 2000 file and compare the differences. The pe table is.............ugly!!
    Last edited by flame; 10-10-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

@flame: Which PE table is ugly? I notice LTFTs are disabled; is this common/good practice for cam tunes? (I'm a n00b)

Those STFTs are crazy, but both narrowband O2 sensors seem to be indicating that level of enrichment is necessary. Have you felt any reduction in power? It seems like misfires could cause this. Also, to my knowledge, no intake/exhaust change short of forced induction should cause a 30% or greater change in fueling (assuming the STFTs weren't crazy when the tune was new).

Tuner in Training
    Car has a new set of tr55 plugs gapped at .50. Maf is clean. Not sure how to tuned a cammed car, haha.

When it was first tuned the ltft's were disabled but the stft's were in a normal range unlike now.

Advanced Tuner
    First thing I would do is fix the bad O2 sensor (or both), clear codes and run another log.
    While the car is in the air I would check to see if you have an exhaust leak before or near the O2's and fix it too. My theory: if the car is seeing outside air from an exhaust leak it will think lean and add fuel.

I'm not a tuning pro, these are just my ideas and I hope they help.

Let us know how it goes.

I was thinking exhaust leak as well, but the sensors on both banks seem to generally agree about fueling; it seems unlikely that a single leak would affect both sensors, or that there would be a leak on both sides, unless some serious damage had taken place. For the same reason, I'm skeptical that the spark plugs are the issue, as two or more misfiring plugs would cause a huge loss in power. I'm sure it's still a good idea to check for exhaust leaks; I suppose it's possible the world's worst gaskets were used to seal the headers to the block and both seals have failed, or maybe it only takes one leak to lean out both sensors.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by C Del View Post
    @flame: Which PE table is ugly?
    Considering his pcm has been tuned by futral in the past they should not be commanding a/f in the 11.50 range for wot. That would indicate that the maf/ve tables are not tuned properly because you should be 12.8-13 at wot.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Ah, good point. I'm not used to EQ ratio numbers yet - not sure why it didn't occur to me to work out the AFR there.

Tuner in Training
    So how can I lean it out? I'm pretty sure the header gaskets aren't leaking. The engine is semi loud because of the cam and dual valve springs, but doesn't seem to be leaking exhaust. I checked the y-pipe for any leaks and saw none. I guess I could change the header gaskets just in case? I also changed the o2 sensor and the code is gone but stft's are still going up to +35.

I just don't know how to tune the maf tables, p.e., to get to the required afr range.

I can tune this rig for you over email, if your interested PM me.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C