Thread: 2011 Camaro tune help please

Tuner in Training

2011 Camaro tune help please

Well, I've made great progress on the tune with the help of some forum members and Waker. I’m currently trying to dial in my Torque Management settings but enabling this has cause some weird coast down/idle issues.

First, when coasting down around 20 MPH the RPM’s dip and the car acts like it wants to stall. Not sure why TM would cause this but it has. I have actually raised my idle 50 RPM’s shown in current tune and it still does it.

Second, when shifting at part throttle, 1-2 most pronounced but also does it at 2-3, it sounds like it’s gasping for air and then it shifts. This is the best way I can describe it…shifts are great at WOT. I understand this is the engine forum but I feel my issue may be related to airflow.

These are my real issues that I would like to resolve ASAP.

My wish list would be a choppy idle. I do get the chop every now and again but it’s not pronounced. I also get some bucking coasting down and when first starting but it’s not terrible. My timing tables in the idle zone do not match..just read it may help match these last night but I haven’t had a chance.

Tune and log attached. Thanks for any help that may be offered!

Mods:

Comp Cam 54-469-11 231/247 .617 .624 113+4
    L99 to LS3 conversion - DOD/VVT delete
    3 bolt cam, LS2 damper, All ARP bolts
    Trunion upgrade, PRC .650 double springs, LS7 lifters, 7.350 pushrods, LS3 oil pump, Katech C5R, milled heads .037 (11:25:1)
    Transmission cooler
    Yank 3200
    SLP 25% UD pulley
    Kooks 1 7/8 headers hiflow cats
    Borla Touring catback
    CAI Inc intake
    Elite catch can
    160 thermostat
    MSD plug wires
    NGK TR6 copper plugs

Tuner
    I know exactly what gasp you're talking about!
    I'm pulling out the same 30% TM you are at low loads, and I had to get my shift times to .3 or faster and bump the line pressure up in the low torque cells on both the 1-2 and 2-3 to get that "gasp" to go away.
    My guess is that it's a result of the slow shift time and the timing that's still getting pulled via the TM. When I pull out more low load TM, the gasp goes away.
    2013 ZL1 A6

Shorten up shift times and reduce TM, and that dying out sound/feeling will go away. While it's completing the excessively long shift, it basically just kills power output which makes that ridiculously crappy sound. Shift time will have a greater impact than reductions in TM. Reductions in TM will add more "punch" on new gear engagement.

Sagging idle is mostly idle airflow, but also idle timing.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Any recommendation on what value I should input? I appreciate the info so far but I'm still VERY new to all this and don't want to go overboard and hurt the car.

I'm extemely happy this appears to be a quick fix.

One last thing I forgot about...the dreaded downshift at 55+..appears to pull a lot of timing, car is a dog.

Tuner in Training
    Well, I've made so many changes just to try and resolve the shifting issue that I'm discouraged it's still there. I think it has improved, just a little. I'm not sure how much more to push it to keep it safe??

I first tried shortening shift times...then increasing line pressure..then removing TM to average 40% now it's at 25% max. I don't know how much more I can decrease the shift times and/or increase line pressure.

I also increased idle air flow by 10% and that didn't help either..pretty discouraged right now! It's a embarrassing riding around and it driving like this. If others remember me I haven't had any luck with the hundreds of dollars I've spent on "reputable" tuners..still have this $&#*$&# to deal with..not fair

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!! I may remove TM until I have more time to play with this because it really is embarrassing..haha

Tuner
    You're moving in the right direction. Try bumping the Base Shift Pressure Upshift X table in the 0 torque column. I think I ended up somewhere around 100 in the 68/86/257 rows. That coupled with the changes you've made in the Shift Torque Factor Adder Modifier Table should work?
    It did for me.
    2013 ZL1 A6

Maybe tonight I can whip something up for you to get you closer to where you need to be.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Car is getting better!! Ride to work was pretty good...say around 70% improvement? I failed to log.

The shift is still a little soft. I'm not sure if it's safe to shorten the shift times/increase pressure at this point. Should I start decreasing the TM down low? Can I take it away and then introduce mid-range and then decrease again?? That's probably not very for the tranny and out of the ordinary..haha Please check out my changes and let me know what you think.

Also, I still have the coast down issue..was hoping it would improve but it still continuously dips as I come to a stop.

Senior Tuner
    as ds said, shift times will have a far greater impact than tm will. i was fighting this on my truck after a cam swap as well. didn't change the tm, just the shift times and a slight increase of line pressure.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    as ds said, shift times will have a far greater impact than tm will. i was fighting this on my truck after a cam swap as well. didn't change the tm, just the shift times and a slight increase of line pressure.
    Understood...I should have stated that I have reduced shift times again..not sure if it's safe to continue to reduce to remedy problem.

I don't want to be another victim of mechanical failure due to bad tune.

Tuner in Training
    I reduced shift pressure,TM down low and left the shift time alone to see if it would act differently from this morning..I couldn't tell a difference so I guess it's better to stick with the decreased pressure?

There is still some hesitation in the shift..would like some guidance as to the next step.

Also, on the coast down - If I'm in neutral the car acts fine..if I'm in D it wants to cutout 2-3 times as I come to a stop.

Current tune and log attached...looks like the KR is back. I've had my car dyno tuned by two different shops in two states..makes for a happy customer
    Last edited by itguy; 10-10-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Shifting is getting close - much better. Still fighting with coast down issue though. I know it’s the TM but I’m not sure how to go about correcting as I believe there are many ways to tackle this problem. I did change the values to 0 in the Minimum Final Spark TqMgt table and it fixed this problem. Issue is I flashed to 7100 at WOT (combo of downshift and no traction) so I need some TM to prevent this from happening. I have also increased the values in the Idle over/underspeed variables hoping it would compensate and keep the idle in place but it didn’t.

How should I approach??? My logical IT state of mind brings me to the following…haha

1 – Leave TM and Minimum Final Spark as it is and increase timing in the area being effected.

2- Increase (again) Idle Adaptive Over/Underspeed values to see if it will compensate.

3 – Reduce variable in Minimum Final Spark. I already reduced by 50% so I’m not sure if I want to continue adjusting this table…currently at -10.

4- Increase TM in the Shift Torque Factor Adder Modifier and set the Minimum Final Spark to zero. Since it will NEVER (is that really the case with this table) pull any timing, just drop to 0, I’m not sure if it will keep me away from 7000+ during downshift….maybe it will, no timing = no power?

5 – Combination of the above or ????

Log and current tune attached!

Advanced Tuner
    Made a couple changes to the 2011 file. Try those and let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by itguy View Post
    Shifting is getting close - much better. Still fighting with coast down issue though. I know it’s the TM but I’m not sure how to go about correcting as I believe there are many ways to tackle this problem. I did change the values to 0 in the Minimum Final Spark TqMgt table and it fixed this problem. Issue is I flashed to 7100 at WOT (combo of downshift and no traction) so I need some TM to prevent this from happening. I have also increased the values in the Idle over/underspeed variables hoping it would compensate and keep the idle in place but it didn’t.

How should I approach??? My logical IT state of mind brings me to the following…haha

Made a couple TM changes to the 2011 file. Take a look at the TM section and make those changes. Let me know...

1 – Leave TM and Minimum Final Spark as it is and increase timing in the area being effected.

2- Increase (again) Idle Adaptive Over/Underspeed values to see if it will compensate.

3 – Reduce variable in Minimum Final Spark. I already reduced by 50% so I’m not sure if I want to continue adjusting this table…currently at -10.

4- Increase TM in the Shift Torque Factor Adder Modifier and set the Minimum Final Spark to zero. Since it will NEVER (is that really the case with this table) pull any timing, just drop to 0, I’m not sure if it will keep me away from 7000+ during downshift….maybe it will, no timing = no power?

11.49 @ 118 1.49 60' Bolt on 2010 IOM Camaro

www.6l80etuning.com 6L80/90 Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by itguy View Post

What is the current issue with the trans?, Sorry i'm jumping from threads and forums around i see in this log that you are having the same issue i had with the throttle closing during power downshifts. is this still an issue ?

Spark Min tgmgt seems to affect the downshifts,and it's the min amount of engine timing when the trans does the downshift, it doesn't affect the throttle closing though. i have mine set at 0 and it feels great, more than that and the downshift becomes very violent.