Thread: Startup Stumble

Startup Stumble

Hey everyone, Ive got a 6.0l lq4 with a tc76 7psi boost, 216/216 114lsa tuo cam... I get it started when its cold immediately then it stumbles and finds its idle and settles back down. When it warms up it can take a while to start. Ill post my tune and try to post a log of it thank you!

got a scan of the startup, it kind of starts and dips...
    Last edited by LQ4Malibu; 10-05-2012 at 06:54 PM.

okay so the afr reads about 7 when it's cranking but then it jumps back to normal afrs when it starts so im not sure if that reading is right. I have messed with the ve cranking table and the start advance... not having any luck, still a no start, stumble start, second start condition.

Okay this is very strange, when I just start it by turning the key and not letting the pump prime it it starts right up. BUT when I let the a1000 cycle through its priming, it stumbles and doesn't want to start. Maybe I should check the rail pressure...

Advanced Tuner
    Definitely check pressure. Maybe you have an injector stuck open.

Does the log show anything.about the issue? I blocked off the IAC tube on the manifold would that cause it?

Advanced Tuner
    What's this IAC tube you speak of?

Try setting P0101, P0102, and P0103 to NO MIL LIGHT.

Then run the attached config. Don't forget to add the 2 bar map pid to your table.
    Last edited by Beatdown Z; 10-10-2012 at 10:06 PM.

the tube coming off the throttle body, I thought oil was possibly getting to it from the valve cover so I plugged it off. Ya i just discovered I needed the 2bar pid the other night when I maxed the map reading out at 105 kpa and it flatlined for a bit haha.

ill take the plug off and see what happens i thought it effected only the idle slightly not the startup, if it does i feel like a dummy

Advanced Tuner
    That tube is actually "pre-throttle body." If it's hooked up to the valve cover it will pressurize the crankcase, so keep it capped off or run a check-valve in it. Since it's pre-throttle blade and you're not running MAF, it will not affect the way the engine runs.

Have you leaned out your cranking VE? Does it start when you hold the pedal to the floor as in clear flood mode? If so, its too rich, and you need to lean out your cranking VE 10% at a time til it fixes it. If its a scaled tune, and your still at 100% that will be an issue as well.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

I messed with my cranking ve a little bit but I cant tell which direction its taking me with these other tables effecting the afr at startup... Ive also been messing around with the startup airflow and the friction airflow with mixed results...
    Does the Cranking VE effect the afr you first see in the log? the 7 afr I guess means I need to take it down?

attached is a log of startup with beatdownz config. the afr is getting pretty crazy on the startup... bounces from 7 i think in the cranking to lean to rich.... I'll attach the file
    Last edited by LQ4Malibu; 10-12-2012 at 09:51 AM.

what affects the fueling right after the startup? is it the friction airflow initial? or startup airflow?
    Last edited by LQ4Malibu; 10-12-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Z View Post
    Try setting P0101, P0102, and P0103 to NO MIL LIGHT.
    Did you try this yet?

ya it didnt change the startup problem

when the engine warms up it doesnt want to start on the first go. second try usually starts it up

OKAY I have the engine turning over and firing fine but it stumbles for a few seconds afterwards and goes extremely lean and then goes rich... here is my scan and tune file

I can't figure this out I have tried messing with the friction airflow, the startup airflow, afterstart enrichment, with no results. Any suggestions?

Tuner
    does this car have a a return line to the tank ?????

Quote Originally Posted by LQ4Malibu View Post
    when the engine warms up it doesnt want to start on the first go. second try usually starts it up
    When this happens on mine I noticed that a much lower IPW was delivered on the second crank. I took this as an indication that the cranking fuel needed to be reduced. I'm still working through this on mine so I might not be on the right track yet. I'm working in small increments as I understand it is easy to overshoot.

The first big improvement on my hot start was increasing the cranking fuel on in the high temperature columns.