Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diagnostic Advise...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05 View Post
    So what is Oakley referring to?....
    No idea

Like I said clean the maf reset the fuel trims and go from there. If everything is stock like you say then it is more then likely mechanical and not tune related.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Yeah Oakley... enlighten me? I just did a compare of a 98 M6 file from the repository and I see no differences anywhere at all???

I just sat in the car and logged it at idle... I have misfires current all over the place.. some were showing 7 misfires before they times out... any advice on that?? New plugs and wires... all seem to be plugged in well... possible injector issues?

Im trying to put together a pid list that will narrow it down for me. I reset the LTFTs and even just after a few minutes at idle they were showing 13-14%....
    Last edited by LS1Silverado05; 09-28-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    How many times do I have to tell you to clean the MAF!

When there is dirt stuck on the wires in the MAF it reads low and causes high timing to be commanded because the pcm under estimates the load on the motor. If that is okay then you likely have a vacuum leak and intake gaskets would be the first place to look. As I said if it is stock like you say and the tune is stock as I proved then it is mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    How many times do I have to tell you to clean the MAF!

When there is dirt stuck on the wires in the MAF it reads low and causes high timing to be commanded because the pcm under estimates the load on the motor. If that is okay then you likely have a vacuum leak and intake gaskets would be the first place to look. As I said if it is stock like you say and the tune is stock as I proved then it is mechanical.
    The MAF has already been cleaned and appeared to show a smooth hz progression through rpm range. Guess i'll look at leaks...

If I have intake leaks shouldnt I be getting lean condition codes or not necessarily because the PCM so far is correcting?

Yeah Oakley... enlighten me? I just did a compare of a 98 M6 file from the repository and I see no differences anywhere at all???

I just sat in the car and logged it at idle... I have misfires current all over the place.. some were showing 7 misfires before they times out... any advice on that?? New plugs and wires... all seem to be plugged in well... possible injector issues?

Im trying to put together a pid list that will narrow it down for me. I reset the LTFTs and even just after a few minutes at idle they were showing 13-14%....
    HAHA holy shit. Yea that is a stock tune. Sorry for the bad info. I've never seen a stock tune look like that. I guess that is the early days of GM tuning.
    2003 Chevy Silverado Daily Driver, 408 Iron Block,
    LS3 Heads/Intake, 231/239 114, 4L80e, Yank SST 3200.

Advanced Tuner
    It won't set a code until it reaches 25% trims

Quote Originally Posted by oakley6575 View Post
    HAHA holy shit. Yea that is a stock tune. Sorry for the bad info. I've never seen a stock tune look like that. I guess that is the early days of GM tuning.
    No prob... I appreciate everyone's help. Any idea why I cant get this damn NGK WB to read? I have it all wired fine, it shows on the control box... and it just stays frozen at 9.X ... seemed fool proof... select insert, select the NKG WB... and done. Guess not?

Advanced Tuner
    How about exhaust leaks before the o2 will cause a false lean condition and over fuel also
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Quote Originally Posted by wyochimneysweep View Post
    How about exhaust leaks before the o2 will cause a false lean condition and over fuel also
    Man, i didn't think of that, but it sure is quiet... I would think Id be hearing something... no air or ticking sounds or anything...

After resetting trims the most ive seen is a 13% correction... But that still is too much i'm sure...

Im definitely stumped and dont want to throw parts at it. Is there any way for me to diagnose the intake gaskets or vacuum leaks? Or just follow along all the possible routes?

May just come down to me replacing the intake gaskets to eliminate it...

Are the flow characteristics or tune specs different enough between a 99+ and a 98?? This car is a 98... and clearly has a 99+ motor in it... or at the very least 99+ LS1 heads vs the 98s... is there reason enough there to make it run poorly at all or should a 98 tune run a 99-02 LS1 just fine?

Or injectors maybe? I guess I need to nail down WTF this engine is
    Last edited by LS1Silverado05; 09-29-2012 at 10:06 AM.

No prob... I appreciate everyone's help. Any idea why I cant get this damn NGK WB to read? I have it all wired fine, it shows on the control box... and it just stays frozen at 9.X ... seemed fool proof... select insert, select the NKG WB... and done. Guess not?
    There is a video in the help files that shows you how to hook your wideband up properly. It is a video that Banish did a while back.

Edit: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28176
    Last edited by oakley6575; 09-29-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    2003 Chevy Silverado Daily Driver, 408 Iron Block,
    LS3 Heads/Intake, 231/239 114, 4L80e, Yank SST 3200.

Advanced Tuner
    Injector size did vary a bit through the years. See if you can get a part number off one and then look for the specs on ls1tech.

Verified 98 Injectors... New Intake Gaskets (Cause I had em)... Double checked wires, and I think I may have had a couple MSD wires not all the way clicked.... Take a look at my driving log with a WOT pull toward the last 1/4 or so... Tell me your thoughts. Had the Wideband in this time... Still a physical issue, or is that a workable base with the LTFTs etc?

Car is giving me air pump codes and air pump relay codes and rear 02 codes... not sure if any of that can skew my log, if so I can turn it all off.

Thanks again!

Advanced Tuner
    Check to make sure the air system check valves are not leaking. Otherwise I think you have corrected the lean issue.

Check to make sure the air system check valves are not leaking. Otherwise I think you have corrected the lean issue.
    Ok.. still idles a bit lumpy for whatever reason..But I feel like the 02s are cycling like they should. I feel like I may just start to dial things in and see if it smooths out...

Advanced Tuner
    Ok.. still idles a bit lumpy for whatever reason..But I feel like the 02s are cycling like they should. I feel like I may just start to dial things in and see if it smooths out...
    If you don't have emission testing where you are unbolt the air pipe from the manifold slide a small piece of sheet metal in and bolt them back down.

Did a log after disabling the EGR, CAGS, EVAP etc... Now its time for me to read up on setting up histograms etc and start dialing in the MAF and VE... I am not sure if I can do anything with my AFR error histogram. I need to do more reading before I go any deeper.. Wish I knew where the kock was coming from.
    Last edited by LS1Silverado05; 09-30-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Your knock is likely from being too rich. You are 10.56 a/f because your LTFT are adding 14-15% on top of commanded. It appears that it took that long for your LTFT to catch on that your lean problem is still there. Did you block the air pipes?

Your knock is likely from being too rich. You are 10.56 a/f because your LTFT are adding 14-15% on top of commanded. It appears that it took that long for your LTFT to catch on that your lean problem is still there. Did you block the air pipes?
    Yep I did... How do I find the source of this lean condition?? I mean... how many different things can make me go lean? Are there tests I can do on different things?

And BTW I greatly appreciate your guidance. You have been very helpful! Ill pay it forward once I have knowledge..