Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E85 Tuning ??

Advanced Tuner

E85 Tuning ??

I have access to few drum of E85 in the UAE and thought why not try it. My question is any special things to look for or just change the stoich to what the E85 calls for and tune? The car is a 440 LS7 Z, 2006, 12.6 comp with over 30 deg overlap cam. Any guidelines, tables which need changing if any, would be greatly appreciated.

Whats the shelf life of the E85?

Potential Tuner
    Test the stuff, make sure it's still ok, then set the stoich per what you tested it as.

Not a lot more you need to change - but you'll probably end up tweaking a lot of the spark afterwards. It takes timing well, that's for sure.
    Current: 2009 MGM G8 GT - Twin Turbo'd by ME.
    ID850's, LS3 slot-style MAF, twin in-tank Aeromotive 340's - Full return style.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks

So basically i dont have to fool around Idle airflow, start up air or any other table?

How do i go about testing to see if its ok? Whats Best afr/lambda for power?

cheers

Lambda requirements stay roughly the same. Do yourself a favor and stop looking at AFR instead of lambda.

Advanced Tuner
    Greg, after watching your DVDs over and over, i am getting used to LAmbda. so basically once i replace the 14.67xxx with the stoich for the E85, i continue shooting for .87-88 lambda for WOT? All other air tables are left alone then?

thnx

Advanced Tuner
    if your air flow is model good and your fuel in tune correctly you should just change the stioch. may be able to run more spark advance. also just cuz is says e85 here in the states winter blend is e70 and spring and fall is e75.
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

I use 0.85 lambda for WOT, gasoline or E85. I've found engines ward off knock a little better and run more consistent pull to pull compared to 0.88.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Whats the shelf life of the E85? The stuff i have access to is about a year old, sitting in a container. Our summer heat is around 40-44 C plus humidity. Would it still be worth while using?

Advanced Tuner
    BTW,

How would the 60 lbs Siemens do with the E85? Now i am at around 55 IDC.

Advanced Tuner
    Besides stoich, you'll need to adjust your cranking fuel, E85 doesn't evaporate at the same rate as E0 in temps below 56F. keep in mind you'll need to experiment to find the best values, but as a good start you can use this

Add 3% to the entire 68F row
    Add 10% to the 50F row
    Add 15% to the entire 32F row and the all the rows below 32F.

And that would be pretty much it. tune as normal with your new E85 stoich, and use lambda for simplicity. for WOT, .80-.85 lambda on E85 seems to be good for N/A applications according to most of the folks in the E85 forums that race their cars at the track.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 01-31-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    coldf temps and start abilty really hasn't been as problem here starts at -10 no problem
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    Besides stoich, you'll need to adjust your cranking fuel, E85 doesn't evaporate at the same rate as E0 in temps below 56F. keep in mind you'll need to experiment to find the best values, but as a good start you can use this

Add 3% to the entire 68F row
    Add 10% to the 50F row
    Add 15% to the entire 32F row and the all the rows below 32F.

And that would be pretty much it. tune as normal with your new E85 stoich, and use lambda for simplicity. for WOT, .80-.85 lambda on E85 seems to be good for N/A applications according to most of the folks in the E85 forums that race their cars at the track.
    He's in the UAE dude. The middle east. Doesn't get that cold in the daytime in the middle of winter. E85 starts fine at moderate temperatures without touching cranking fuel.

Advanced Tuner
    This winter has been colder than i can remember, mid 50F. still i dont see a problem with start up. what i am worried about is that the drums have been sitting in a container for few months and dont know if they still have the same properties as new or the heat cold cycle and time has changed their properties.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HNK View Post
    This winter has been colder than i can remember, mid 50F. still i dont see a problem with start up. what i am worried about is that the drums have been sitting in a container for few months and dont know if they still have the same properties as new or the heat cold cycle and time has changed their properties.
    LOL, you might neat seat heaters , and in the summer the roads melt

This winter has been colder than i can remember, mid 50F.
    Oh boo hoo. Lol.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    The summers get so unreasonable sometimes. 45-50 C plus humidity. In kuwait, it gets close to 60C and i can confirm, the streets change shape. Yet in the winter, kuwait gets to -3c which is super cold. Desert cold is not like what i had during my 13 years in DC. Great for power though. Still waiting on info on shelf life of the E85 though.
    Any files of a high comp Z06 on E85?

Need to go cover up now.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    He's in the UAE dude. The middle east. Doesn't get that cold in the daytime in the middle of winter. E85 starts fine at moderate temperatures without touching cranking fuel.
    Yea i saw that, i was just pointing out the special things to do to run E85
    mine didn't start that good at 0F back when i was living in Ohio, and there is more people like him that would see this thread in the future and want to see what is needed to start tuning for E85, not everybody is from the middle east, and not all cars react like yours or his with E85 and cold weather..

There is a reason why here in USA oil companies change the blend to E75 in the winter, don't think they're that lucky in the middle east...
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 02-01-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    The summers get so unreasonable sometimes. 45-50 C plus humidity. In kuwait, it gets close to 60C and i can confirm, the streets change shape. Yet in the winter, kuwait gets to -3c which is super cold. Desert cold is not like what i had during my 13 years in DC. Great for power though. Still waiting on info on shelf life of the E85 though.
    Any files of a high comp Z06 on E85?

Need to go cover up now.
    Email any company who blends E85, for example, http://www.pearsonfuels.com/contactus/

the last time i had a question about E85 octane rates, i had a an engineer from their side within 1 hour, contacted me by email and gave me his phone number to chat about their E85. good people.

Good luck.

Advanced Tuner
    Thnx

I just emailed them and hopefully i get a reply soon.

cheers

Thnx

I just emailed them and hopefully i get a reply soon.

cheers
    Any luck on the e85 tuning?