Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS BLEED controls?

Advanced Tuner

ABS BLEED controls?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but it would be fan-damn-tastic if we could get ABS force bleed procedures put into the VCM scanner. This would help out a lot on the GEN IV cars that have much more sensitive ABS systems.

Tuner
    Fan-damn-tastic is an understatement.
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

It would be nice but that is a BCM function.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner
    And does HPT have any plans/ability to talk to the BCM?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    It would be nice but that is a BCM function.
    I'm aware.

We don't need full BCM function, but ABS support would be nice. I'm sick of having to borrow a Snap-on Motis or Tech II from a buddy every time I have to bleed an ABS block. A software capable of manipulating an entire operating system should have this simple function IMO.

Reading/writing/accessing the PCM has no relation to communicating with the BCM whatsoever. "Capable of manipulating an entire operating system" [of the PCM] really has no bearing.

It'd be nice, but I don't think they "should" have it.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner
    I'd be willing to fork over an extra $100 just to have the scanner upgraded for ABS bleed.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    It'd be nice, but I don't think they "should" have it.
    To an individual that just tunes peoples' cars, sure.

In a shop, ABS access is absolutely necessary. If air gets into an ABS module (especially on something like a Tahoe) it's nearly impossible to get it out without a force bleed from a scanner.

It should be taken into consideration how many shops (in addition to individuals) buy the software and that would make a LOT of us happy to have this function.

I understand, but they sell and market a PCM/TCM editing equipment. Accessing the BCM is a whole new ball game. Plus, they've said they don't want to mess with the ABS system for liability reasons.

Bleeding the ABS would be awesome, and I would use the hell out of it, but it ain't happening. I guarantee EFI Live, SCT, Diablo, LS2Edit, TunerCat, etc won't do it either.

Tuner
    Liability reasons?? Please. Like half the crap we do with the PCM isn't a liability thing either.

Advanced Tuner
    DSteck, this post isn't directed towards you at all but since you brought it up, that whole "liability" thing really is a load of $hit. ABS access is a helluva lot less of a liability than giving someone the capability to completely remove their speed limiter, make their vehicle completely emissions illegal by tuning out all the emissions components / messing w/ lean cruise / etc, and just giving the masses in general the ability to alter the amount of fuel / gasses coming out of their tail pipe.

I could go all day on the list of things HPT gives us the ability to change that's much larger liability than talking to the ABS module.

/rant off

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1995 View Post
    Liability reasons?? Please. Like half the crap we do with the PCM isn't a liability thing either.
    Messing with the car's ability to get moving is one thing. Messing with it's ability to STOP moving is a whole other ballgame. If somebody died because there was an error with their braking system, then things would escalate quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by That_guy View Post
    DSteck, this post isn't directed towards you at all but since you brought it up, that whole "liability" thing really is a load of $hit. ABS access is a helluva lot less of a liability than giving someone the capability to completely remove their speed limiter, make their vehicle completely emissions illegal by tuning out all the emissions components / messing w/ lean cruise / etc, and just giving the masses in general the ability to alter the amount of fuel / gasses coming out of their tail pipe.

I could go all day on the list of things HPT gives us the ability to change that's much larger liability than talking to the ABS module.

/rant off
    See above.

Advanced Tuner
    Their not talking about tuning abs but just sending the command to do the purge cycle.
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

I'm aware. With accessing it comes some level of risk though.

I'm done replying though. I don't make the product, and people have dug their claws into the ground apparently. Lol.

We've asked for this in the past, they won't do it.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT, IHRA Modified, NHRA Pro ET

Tuner in Training
    palmer performance makes a product that can monitor the abs system but cannot do the bleed commands. i have that product in addition to hptuners and used it extensively to diagnose my 4 channel abs issues. i was told by a user that autoenginuity can do the abs bleed but it is very specific to certain vehicles.
    01 SS Camaro, aps TT, 60# inj, SDOL, lonnies fuel system with return, AFPR, lots of bolt ons, no more money.

Advanced Tuner
    You can even purchase a Tech2

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ingsteve View Post
    You can even purchase a Tech2
    I don't think people will spend $2000 just to bleed the ABS system. If Tech2's were cheaper, I don't think we would be having this conversation.

Advanced Tuner
    I didn't know it costs so...sorry....some unit on ebay are sold at 700€ but still expensive for a simple abs bleed but if you increase the size also of your rotors i think you need it to retune abs system a little
    Last edited by ingsteve; 10-06-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1995 View Post
    I don't think people will spend $2000 just to bleed the ABS system. If Tech2's were cheaper, I don't think we would be having this conversation.
    This. Tech II's aren't cheap, and the updates for them are sometimes more than the scanner itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ingsteve View Post
    I didn't know it costs so...sorry....some unit on ebay are sold at 700€ but still expensive for a simple abs bleed but if you increase the size also of your rotors i think you need it to retune abs system a little
    The ebay units are Chinese rip-off junk. A buddy of mine bought one of them and it didn't even work. Magically it had "no warranty" so he got screwed out of $900.