Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pontiac G8 Gt 434 Stroker Won't Power Brake!!!

Tuner in Training M.STAFFORD912's Avatar
    I am located in Savannah, GA. *Yeah, not Trash. Sry. I love the car! New to tuning. I read Greg Banish's book and watched the DVD's and have been trying to read as much as possible to wrap my head around all of this.

If I want to get my tune right, best place to start would be dialing in the MAF since I believe it is not going in SD mode anyway right? Then work on correcting the VE Table?

The car is supposed to be on a conservative street tune and I bought it from Indiana so the change in altitude and weather is pretty significant. I know the car runs really rich, can smell tons of fuel.

Also, does anyone have a good cong file to use when logging?
    08 G8 GT | ERL 434ci Stroker (11.7:1cr) | TEA LS3 Stage 2 Heads | EPS Cam (237/247 .618 .628 114 + 3) | ATI Super Damper | Rotofab CAI | 1 3/4 OBX LT's | Magnaflow X Pipe | Magnapack Mufflers | Yank SS 3200 stall

Ok bluegoat I have been following your method of dialing in the MAF.

I did three rounds of part throttle logging and correcting last night. When I get the STFT's where they should be do I enable DFCO and LTFT's? That part was unclear to me. My car also has problems starting sometimes and it surges rpm's to about 2000 when it starts.

I want to verify my wb is reading correctly before i move on to wot pe tuning. Do i check the voltage with a meter and see if it correlates to the value it is displaying in hp tuner. I have a LC-1 wired into the logger without it's own gauge.
    08 G8 GT | ERL 434ci Stroker (11.7:1cr) | TEA LS3 Stage 2 Heads | EPS Cam (237/247 .618 .628 114 + 3) | ATI Super Damper | Rotofab CAI | 1 3/4 OBX LT's | Magnaflow X Pipe | Magnapack Mufflers | Yank SS 3200 stall

Quote Originally Posted by M.STAFFORD912 View Post
    I am located in Savannah, GA. *Yeah, not Trash. Sry. I love the car! New to tuning. I read Greg Banish's book and watched the DVD's and have been trying to read as much as possible to wrap my head around all of this.

If I want to get my tune right, best place to start would be dialing in the MAF since I believe it is not going in SD mode anyway right? Then work on correcting the VE Table?

The car is supposed to be on a conservative street tune and I bought it from Indiana so the change in altitude and weather is pretty significant. I know the car runs really rich, can smell tons of fuel.

Also, does anyone have a good cong file to use when logging?
    The injector boundary target, or EOIT as it is more commonly known, needs to be moved up. Basically your injectors are spraying raw fuel in the intake valve and going right back out the exhaust. Hence why it smells rich, but idles basically at stoich.

Ok bluegoat I have been following your method of dialing in the MAF.

I did three rounds of part throttle logging and correcting last night. When I get the STFT's where they should be do I enable DFCO and LTFT's? That part was unclear to me. My car also has problems starting sometimes and it surges rpm's to about 2000 when it starts.

I want to verify my wb is reading correctly before i move on to wot pe tuning. Do i check the voltage with a meter and see if it correlates to the value it is displaying in hp tuner. I have a LC-1 wired into the logger without it's own gauge.
    If your STFT's are within the range of 0 through -4% through the non PE range of warmed driving, on accle and decel, go ahead and re-enable DFCO and LTFT's. You'll notice on different days the fuel trims will be slightly different. This is normal as weather plays a huge roll in how they act. Upload your latest tune, and I'll show you how to adjust cold and warm starts along with airflow and OL fueling for really cold weather and a big cam. Typically big cam motors I idle around 1200 if the ECT is less than 40* They enjoy that much more than idling at 800 or so, but it should never race up to 2,000 or so. That is hard on bearings.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Here is the latest

Advanced Tuner
    Cool dude, something to keep in mind, your sig says you have a Yank 3200 rpm, yet your tcc/apply release tables are locking your verter in 4th gear at WOT. That SS won't last long doing lockups like that, and the trans would suffer if the verter goes kaboom. I have a thread at g8boarddotcom in the tuning section that would give you ideas how to tune your Yank 3200 SS or any verter with our 6l80e trans.

I'll let Idrive explain to you how to fix the cold starts, it's fairly easy.

The starting problems are usually hot starts, but the rpm surge happens pretty much all the time. And it may just be me, but it seems that when I get in and turn everything off(AC/heat, radio power) and wait on the System Check on the dash to finish then it usually starts better. I am going to go home and go over the trans tuning from g8board. Thanks for the help. All of this is very overwhelming at first. I spend hours a day reading and trying to learn as much as I can. I am an engineering student and car fanatic trying to wrap my head around all of this. One step at a time!

I did some reading on trans tuning. Seems to be a lot still up in the air. I have the tuning schools A6 tuning manual and went over some of the threads on g8board.com Any input is welcome!

Senior Tuner
    I did some reading on trans tuning. Seems to be a lot still up in the air. I have the tuning schools A6 tuning manual and went over some of the threads on g8board.com Any input is welcome!
    Click on my attachment in post #3: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...405#post310405