Thread: trouble tuning ve

Potential Tuner

trouble tuning ve

hey guys ive been on the forum for a while but this is my first post, definitely a noob to all this ive been trying to read as much as i can on everything to get a better idea of whats going on behind the scenes with the programing. Im a little lost at this point, i have widebands installed and the maf disconnected and the maf fail set at 0 and to the best of my knowledge all the other things needed to start ve tuning. My issue is i have the afr error chart, after a drive, giving me %'s all over the place, i did the copy and paste special multiply by to the ve and flash. ON the next test drive the numbers on the afr error are coming up almost identical and some of the adjacent cells in the ve are almost double that of their neighboring cell. Ive tried tuning this way a couple times with the same outcome and the car is still running lean on accel and rich on decel and im unable to get to the commanded afr. I've adjusted the IFR as to the best of my knowledge for the bosch green giants (0280155968) according to numerous threads on this forum and some others with the help of a spreadsheet. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,
    mike.

list of modifications:
    99 camaro z28 ls1
    Trickflow 215 heads
    Trickflow cam 228/230 585/585
    Harland sharp roller rockers 1.7:1
    Bosch 0280155968 injector(42#@3bar)
    Ls2 fuel rail
    Racetronix fuel pump (in tank 600wtq) (62psi at the rail @idle)
    Fast lsx 102 intake
    92mm tb
    Stock maf w/ 4" intake tube
    Stainless works lt headers 1-7/8
    primary 2.5 collector
    Custom cat-less y pipe w/widebands
    Borla catback
    Slp high vol oil pump and timing chain
    Set. Adjustable advance set at 0*
    All stock sensors

car is a 1989 trans am gta
    Last edited by 383ls1gta; 09-18-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: fuel pressure

you will get better responces with a scan and conf. file posted
    not to sound like a dick but helps us to better help you
    97 k2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80/4x4 0411 pcm,thorley tri-y's,true duals(no cats),msd ign.,zz4 cam, tuned with efi live

Potential Tuner
    I attached the .hpl .cfg and the .hpt
    theyre not showing? thanks for the info il try to re upload

Potential Tuner
    can you guys see the attachments comming up at all?

Potential Tuner

tune

im going to say you have a miss fire i only seen that one time and i a had a miss on 6 and it was giving me high ve numbers

Potential Tuner
    and your timing

Potential Tuner
    The car runs pretty smooth tho I really don't think it's a miss. And what about the timing? It's still pretty much the stock table aside from the idle cells I want to dial in ve before I mess with the timing, I shouldn't have trouble running the stock table while tuning ve right?
    Thanks again

Advanced Tuner
    When you fail MAF, the PCM uses secondary VE, if the PCM is equipped with secondary VE and in your case it is there. Tune that first and when finished, copy (and interpolate) into a primary VE.

Potential Tuner
    Makes perfect sense! thanks for the replies and your time, i'll give that a shot.

Potential Tuner
    Now with the secondary ve table being smaller can I still use the afr error to adjust it and once it is is there a special function to copy it to the primary? And finally once thats set do I tune primary with the maf in? I was under the impression that would skew the data
    Thanks again,
    Mike

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 383ls1gta View Post
    Now with the secondary ve table being smaller can I still use the afr error to adjust it and once it is is there a special function to copy it to the primary? And finally once thats set do I tune primary with the maf in? I was under the impression that would skew the data
    Thanks again,
    Mike
    I'm old school, so I usually first tune the secondary VE with either afr error or STFT/LTFT. Then I copy first 20 kPa row (by clicking the number 20 with right mouse key and copy) and paste that to the primary. After that I copy the 30 kPa row.

Then because there's 25 kPa row as well in the primary, I need to interpolate. In the primary, I click 20 and then move the pointer on top of 30. This way all the lines, 20, 25, 30 kPa are selected. Then I need to click the icon that does the interpolation, i.e. which calculates suitable values between line 20 and 30. The icon is roughly above "S" where there is a text that says "Engine Speed".

After that, it's time to start MAF tuning. At that point you do not have to worry about VE anymore.