Thread: Tuning advice needed

Tuner

Tuning advice needed

Gentlemen, I need some advice for creating a good all around tune for my 2010 Camaro SS. Here are the modifications the car has:

- 419ci stroked/bored LS3
    - Ported heads
    - 0.609/0.612, 228/232, 115 LSA cam
    - Twin turbos with max boost at 12psi
    - Injector Dynamics ID-850 fuel injectors
    - 3 bar MAP sensor (ZR1)
    - Fast 102 intake, but stock 90mm throttle body
    - 6 speed manual transmission

I've tuned the car myself (I'm no pro by any means) and I'm not all that pleased with the drivability. The idle surges a bit and it's not very responsive at low RPM's (the air mass prediction is based on the MAF only).

Today I was working on trying to enable the dynamic air flow (virtual VE) to improve responsiveness. I tried using the BlueCat tool to adjust the VE equation tables, but it didn't work. I'm wondering if it's not compatible with the beta version of HPT that I'm using (2.23.748).

Attached is the current calibration file and the calibration file I was using to do the VE scanning. I also attached one of the VE scan files and my VCM scanner config file.

I'd sure appreciate some advice!
    Last edited by RookieTuner; 09-10-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTuner View Post
    Gentlemen, I need some advice for creating a good all around tune for my 2010 Camaro SS. Here are the modifications the car has:

- 419ci stroked/bored LS3
    - Ported heads
    - 0.609/0.612, 228/232, 115 LSA cam
    - Twin turbos with max boost at 12psi
    - Injector Dynamics ID-850 fuel injectors
    - Fast 102 intake, but stock 90mm throttle body
    - 6 speed manual transmission

I've tuned the car myself (I'm no pro by any means) and I'm not all that pleased with the drivability. The idle surges a bit and it's not very responsive at low RPM's (the air mass prediction is based on the MAF only).

Today I was working on trying to enable the dynamic air flow (virtual VE) to improve responsiveness. I tried using the BlueCat tool to adjust the VE equation tables, but it didn't work. I'm wondering if it's not compatible with the beta version of HPT that I'm using (2.23.748).

Attached is the current calibration file and the calibration file I was using to do the VE scanning. I also attached one of the VE scan files and my VCM scanner config file.

I'd sure appreciate some advice!
    the blue cat software works just fine with the newest beta... but in this boosted application to make your life easier, go out and get a zr1/ctsv 3 bar map sensor and load up the Hpt 2.5 bar SD os, you'll get a nice boost VE table to work with in addition to boost enrichment tables... you can fully tune the car in SD then switch the maf back on and fully tune it in maf, making it a thoroughly tuned dynamic airflow system... i have done a few TT camaro's with this OS let me know if you need some help
    Owner of Cunningham Motorsports

06 z06
    2016 camaro
    68 Camaro
    2014 e63 amg
    07 LBZ Duramax

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rynez06 View Post
    the blue cat software works just fine with the newest beta... but in this boosted application to make your life easier, go out and get a zr1/ctsv 3 bar map sensor and load up the Hpt 2.5 bar SD os, you'll get a nice boost VE table to work with in addition to boost enrichment tables... you can fully tune the car in SD then switch the maf back on and fully tune it in maf, making it a thoroughly tuned dynamic airflow system... i have done a few TT camaro's with this OS let me know if you need some help
    Oops, forgot to mention it already has the ZR1 map sensor. Using that BlueCat tool, the changes never seems to change the AFR error percentage in the operating areas where the adjustments were made. I think your suggestion regarding switching to an SD OS may be easiest. How do I go about loading up the HPT 2.5 bar SD OS? What are the disadvantages of switching to the SD OS?

Thanks a bunch for the input!

Are you sure you're in pure SD mode?

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Are you sure you're in pure SD mode?

I think so, the calibration file I used for SD scanning is attached to the original message. I have the MAF fail high set to 10 and closed loop enable ECT values set high to prevent entering closed loop.

Would you mind taking a look at that file and telling me if it's setup right for SD mode?

Tuner
    I went the VCM enhancements for my E38 PCM (12637084) and the only upgrade option is a 2 Bar MAP - Speed Density. I thought there's a 2.5 bar upgrade for this OS, no?

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTuner View Post
    I went the VCM enhancements for my E38 PCM (12637084) and the only upgrade option is a 2 Bar MAP - Speed Density. I thought there's a 2.5 bar upgrade for this OS, no?
    its a 2.5 bar os, just input your zr1 map data... if your running any real boost you will need to scale the high portions of the SD table because as it comes from hpt its at only 175 kpa
    Owner of Cunningham Motorsports

06 z06
    2016 camaro
    68 Camaro
    2014 e63 amg
    07 LBZ Duramax

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rynez06 View Post
    its a 2.5 bar os, just input your zr1 map data... if your running any real boost you will need to scale the high portions of the SD table because as it comes from hpt its at only 175 kpa
    175 kPa on the SD tables is what was throwing me off. Thanks!

if i were in your shoes
    Run it 2bar

Run the Car Pure MAFLESS
    you are not doing it ,,

or get bigger maf and tune it with maf

by looking at your spark retared ,,
    this engine wont lost for long time ,,
    the other most important questions
    1- what is your engine compression ?
    2- what is your fuel pressure ?
    3- are you using fuel system ? what kind of fuel system ?

take it to a tuner ,,
    good luck

specialize in: V8 Tuning (Kuwait)
    Abdullah Al-najdi
    00965 99369929
    www.youtube.com/alnajdi83
    Tuners ! Quit Raping your PE TABLE !
    instagram : alnajdi83
    best number in 1/8 mile 4.54 ( My Driving + My Tune ) !

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vette_c6 View Post
    if i were in your shoes
    Run it 2bar

Run the Car Pure MAFLESS
    you are not doing it ,,

or get bigger maf and tune it with maf

by looking at your spark retared ,,
    this engine wont lost for long time ,,
    the other most important questions
    1- what is your engine compression ?
    2- what is your fuel pressure ?
    3- are you using fuel system ? what kind of fuel system ?

take it to a tuner ,,
    good luck
    Yea, well for the money I spent taking this car to a tuner I could have bought another brand new "built" motor. I got tired of dropping $300+ dollars every time I changed a component or just wanted to try something different in the tune. Thus, I bought the Tuning School materials and taught myself. So, in short I am a tuner and will do this myself, if I blow the motor then so be it.

Speaking of blowing the motor, I think you're confused because in that entire scan I posted there's one small blip of 1.8 degrees of knock retard.

I have upgraded to the 2.5 bar HPT OS and just completed the partial throttle VE and MAF tuning. Thanks for the advice.

if you bought tuning school
    Call IAN
    or Bob Or jason

they will be glade to help u

specialize in: V8 Tuning (Kuwait)
    Abdullah Al-najdi
    00965 99369929
    www.youtube.com/alnajdi83
    Tuners ! Quit Raping your PE TABLE !
    instagram : alnajdi83
    best number in 1/8 mile 4.54 ( My Driving + My Tune ) !

What's up OP. looks like 700+ WHP to me I just converted my first Gen IV over to the 2.5bar OS last night and started making adjustments by hand. Did you get your Bluecat software to work with the new VE tables? Mine seems to not be compatible thus why I did most of it by hand. Let me know.

-Rob.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap