Thread: High MAP readings?

High MAP readings?

Taxied this plane around today. It would get to some point then go into low power mode, limp home mode for some reason. The MAP readings on the log I attached show up to 273 kpa, which seems almost three times as high as they should be. The VE map only goes to about 105. This thing has a large turbo (1.48 A/R) but is not making any boost and is just idling over at these low engine rpms. I set up a boost PID in the log and it shows 30 psi of boost at 1200 rpm, no way in hell could it be doing that, and show no KR. Lost as always, anyone have any ideas?

I don't rape PE tables cause I don't know what I am doing anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by DGA View Post
    Taxied this plane around today. It would get to some point then go into low power mode, limp home mode for some reason. The MAP readings on the log I attached show up to 273 kpa, which seems almost three times as high as they should be. The VE map only goes to about 105. This thing has a large turbo (1.48 A/R) but is not making any boost and is just idling over at these low engine rpms. I set up a boost PID in the log and it shows 30 psi of boost at 1200 rpm, no way in hell could it be doing that, and show no KR. Lost as always, anyone have any ideas?
    You're definitely logging the wrong map sensor P.I.D or the Baro sensor is screwing with it.

It's a turbocharged plane?! you better get a 3 bar map sensor. LS9 preferably.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Thanks for the reply. It's not turboCHARGED, it's turbonormalised, just sea level pressure for altitude compensation, and cabin pressure. I only need it to make 300 hp. Still can't figure out what made it go into reduced power mode, down to an idle, the throttle lever does almost nothing. I then switched it off and restarted and it goes back to normal throttle. The config is almost the stock one that HPT comes with but I added the boost input just to see if it was making any boost. I used exactly the formula for the PID that HPT has in the help files.

Yeah that formula does not always work. It looks like the throttle is looking for a VSS input.... In which you have none. Uh.... This is actually way beyond me.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

This tune has a strange map in airflow, ETC, area opening rates. Shows 100% in reverse and 5th and up, but almost none in the lower gears. I am not sure that the trans functions are really disabled, something telling me that I should set this whole table to 100%. Where do you see the VSS input?
    Last edited by DGA; 09-07-2012 at 09:31 AM.

I'll try to take a peak when I get home. Should be straight forward.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Your boost pid is not configured properly, delete it and your "issue" should go away.

/thread
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Will do, thanks Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by DGA View Post
    This tune has a strange map in airflow, ETC, area opening rates. Shows 100% in reverse and 5th and up, but almost none in the lower gears. I am not sure that the trans functions are really disabled, something telling me that I should set this whole table to 100%. Where do you see the VSS input?
    Just my best guess as the throttle has either two axis's to use, one being RPM, the other being VSS. Which one do you have selected in the tune?

You might just for the heck of it, change the area opening rates up to 100% as I'm really not sure wether it follows a gear cycle or not.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

I can't find where the ETC can follow the VSS in this E40 tune. I will change the ETC area opening rates to 100% across the table though.

I moved the MAF calibration low and high tables up some and this helped a lot. This post was originally about the MAP readings being way high, this brought them down closer to what the VE table has on it. I noticed that when running it, when I closed the throttle some and the MAP readings went over what the VE table has in it, max of 105 I think, the thing ran like crap, labouring etc. As soon as the conditions got back to the MAP going under 105, it all went smooth again. So it's sort of going off the VE table and has a hard time with no VE map to work from. I actually saw the trims take fuel away now, I have never got it to do that before, so it is getting to where I can actually start tuning now. Attached the log.
    Last edited by DGA; 09-08-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Realised today that the MAF calibration is close to being workable, and when you open the throttle some and close it the engine labours some for a awhile then returns the MAP to 105 or less and all becomes happy again. This is the turbo spooling up and when you back the throttle down it continues to blow and screw with the MAP readings. I have the wastegates closed right now as the program for the controller is not loaded in the PLC, so this will have to work and get the wastegates open as they should be at sea level, to stop this happening.