Thread: What GM is up to with tuning...

Yep, gotta pay to play. Wish I could have bought Phat Bee without the powertrain warranty.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Advanced Tuner
    Some poeple put stuff on thinking its safe. Like gm would not make it 600 hp if the engine could handle it. Poeple would be buying left and right if that were the case
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Are these in all the vehicles or just trucks or what? I think this is something everyone already knew, just more confirmation...

Senior Tuner
    From the bullitin I got, it covers all v-8's. Got a truck in yesterday that the guys had to go throught this. The way I am seeing this though, the scan will pick up the last 10 tunes.... draw your own conclusion there if you like... wink, wink... nudge, nudge...
    2000 Trans Am WS6

They have been doing it for a while on the supercharged LSJ & turbocharged 2.0 liter LNF's also. I suspect all 'tuner cars'.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Senior Tuner
    buy a second Pcm for stock file or if too late and engine damaged already, just fry the pcm before towing to dealer lol.
    They need to prove it beyond a doubt before cancelling warranty.

Thumbs up for warranty fraud. *rolls eyes*

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by planethax View Post
    buy a second Pcm for stock file or if too late and engine damaged already, just fry the pcm before towing to dealer lol.
    They need to prove it beyond a doubt before cancelling warranty.
    GM can detect it regardless of the PCM...and have fun re-linking everything when you swap the PCM.

I voided my cars warranty, and I have absolutely no concern about GM saying "sorry sir your powertrain warranty is void"...I wouldn't ask them to fix my powertrain anyways.

When I went back for a squeaky sunroof and busted seat heater I said "now if you say anything to me about engine modifications and warranty for these items, I'll probably lose my mind"...and the service writer agreed...he said "no big deal man, this stuff is unrelated."

I've found honesty has always worked best for me in life.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    GM can detect it regardless of the PCM...and have fun re-linking everything when you swap the PCM.

I voided my cars warranty, and I have absolutely no concern about GM saying "sorry sir your powertrain warranty is void"...I wouldn't ask them to fix my powertrain anyways.

When I went back for a squeaky sunroof and busted seat heater I said "now if you say anything to me about engine modifications and warranty for these items, I'll probably lose my mind"...and the service writer agreed...he said "no big deal man, this stuff is unrelated."

I've found honesty has always worked best for me in life.
    Excellent advise in my books there.... it would go a long way here as well just to be straight up about what is done to the car/truck
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Thumbs up for warranty fraud. *rolls eyes*
    Not saying to do it, just I am sure some will to get around it.

Vehicles I work on are generally out of warranty anyways so I have no need to do so.

GM can detect it regardless of the PCM...and have fun re-linking everything when you swap the PCM.........
    The last 10 Cals are in the PCM not Bcm or other modules so if someone were to replace their stock Pcm with a new one to then use Hpt with and replace with stock Pcm when going for warranty work GM wouldn't know.

Relinking is not an issue if you know how and have access to the tools.

i've done a write entire back to the stock file and a customer told me GM didn't find anything wrong with the tune... (nitrous 200shot on a stock pick up trans with MTs to hook)

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

i am very happy GM is going this route vs the option they could chose which is lock the ECM so you can't program it, that would be very easy to do on future vehicles...

if you want to change stuff you own the results, that to me is very easy to understand and with that knowledge i have happily voided all my powertrain warranties! sure there could be some flaw that really isn't due to my action, but that is the risk i knowingly take and am glad i am able to decide for myself versus i can't change the tune at all

Advanced Tuner
    When I went back for a squeaky sunroof and busted seat heater .
    they dont make them like they used to

I never own anything new enough to be concerned with warranties nowadays but even back when I did I never brought anything back just dealt with it and kept the dealers paws off my stuff.
    If your gonna play you need to prepare to pay

It would be nice if the manufacturers gave you an option to "opt out" of the drivetrain warranty and save a few bucks to start modding. They could definately sell them for less without the warranty
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Most of the problems GM has encountered is with diesels. They continued to get melted down after running "aftermarket power up devices". I've seen multiple customers come into the dealership I work at demanding that GM pays for the repairs. They think we are completely stupid and don't know what has happened to there truck. We are very easy to deal with as a dealership with modded vehicles but when GM requests calibration info it's out of our hands. Most transmission and engine failures required a snapshot of the calibration details. Only if they need to be replaced, any repairs don't.
    There are lots of dealers that are assholes about it and go way to far denying and voiding warranties.

Have not tried to take mine in for anything other than routine maintenance here in the Houston area. Inspection was a bit of a headache since my swap to a FAST 102 caused issues with my VE data (fuel drop out at about 1300 rpm, part throttle, 4th gear) which brought on the STFT mapping again to get it straightened out. The multiple tunes loaded kept wiping out the readiness state of the O2 sensors and Evap Cannister. Got it done finally.. Would not want to let them put a wrench on it, but I'm out of warranty period anyway.
    2006 Z51
    LG tubes/Patriot 225-229/Fast 102/Patriot Stage III Heads/SLP Underdrive/Vararam
    464 rwhp - 433 rwtq