Thread: VE maximum

VE maximum

I see that my Main VE, primary, table is above the Dynamic airflow, VE maximum in some places. Should I raise the VE maximum table values up above the primary VE table? What does the VE maximum do and why is it needed?

I don't rape PE tables cause I don't know what I am doing anyway....

24 hour bump for a response....

48 hour bump for a response....

no response? try posting your tune and your log showing the issue.

Didn't think the question needed a tune posted to it but here it is.

Leave that VE maximum table alone. Your fuel trims are adding a lot of fuel, have you tuned the car yet?

Your MAF is not failed so you can't accurately read the VE table log data and vice versa. You are seeing a combined effect of MAF and VE and STFT adding 30%. You need to tune this car.

Thanks for the reply. It's an aircraft BTW. I haven't started to calibrate the MAF, so far just trying to get the fuel in the ballpark. Have already raised the VE table 25% to get it there, and thought that the VE maximum was limiting what I was doing, so is the reason for this post. I thought the MAF was to fine tune it, thinking that would need to be done next.

Quote Originally Posted by DGA View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It's an aircraft BTW. I haven't started to calibrate the MAF, so far just trying to get the fuel in the ballpark. Have already raised the VE table 25% to get it there, and thought that the VE maximum was limiting what I was doing, so is the reason for this post. I thought the MAF was to fine tune it, thinking that would need to be done next.
    If you are just raising the VE table without monitoring it with the MAF excluded then you will have to raise it more than you should to compensate for the MAF also being too low.

Read the guides that are floating around on how to disable each individually and tune them separately, then re-enable both to work together again. If you tune one without disabling the other, all the error of the one you aren't tuning gets built into the other.

Is your injector data stock, along with the injectors? Having bad data here will also throw off your airflow tables. That error also gets built into the airflow model.

The injectors are the original ones that this LS1 crate engine came with. I changed the intake and throttle body to the LS2 type on here now, and use the E40 ECU, so I could have the ETC. It has the correct flow rate for an LS1.

I have only moved the VE table to try to get the fuel trims from maxing out at 27%, it would hardly run and was close to melting itself down, headers would glow a dull red at idle. So, haven't really tried to tune it yet, just trying to get it safe. I have a lot of pressure on me to get this plane flying and designed and built the entire thing from nothing, so I have a ton of other stuff to work on at the same time, so it's a slow process.

I haven't worked on the MAF yet but it's probably messed up with the turbo not far away. This is an older 3 wire camaro type MAF with a seperate IAT sensor, would that be different from the 5 wire type?

The operating system you posted is for a Saab..... I think I would try to find the right program and start from there. It would require less changes.

Like I said, the VE trims you are logging are not the VE trims. They are the combined error of the MAF and VE displayed on the VE histogram. You are blindly making large changes, you are going to be guessing a long time unless you learn what you are doing.

Read a tuning guide.

I think I understand how this works, but am not trying to 'tune' it yet, just tying to get it safe to run. It was so bad to begin with that it would hardly run at all. Like anything, you have to rough it in to get it workable, then actually start to tune it. I have read everything I can, and agree that it's not right to just move the VE table up, I will work on the MAF tuning now but in a similar way, just move the whole tables to get it so the trims don't max out everytime. Once I can get those to not move over 15% or so I can actually start to tune it.

The Saab tune was played with when I got it and I have copied and worked on it a lot since, so really it's only a Saab name left. I could ditch that and load one that says GTO or something but it's just a name for the cost of 2 credits so I have left it as is.

Asking questions on here so the guessing is reduced.

just wanted to make sure you had a good starting point. good luck.