Thread: Another Diesel newbie

Another Diesel newbie

Well I can no longer keep my grubby fingers out of my truck. Ive been trying not to mess with it because I was worried about getting greedy and frying the trans. I'll just have to find some self control.

I have no clue on tuning diesels. Where is a good place to learn about the tuning process? I have a bone stock, down to the paper filter, '05 LLY. Im looking to build a tune that will maximize fuel mileage. I believe I have read that a max econ tune will still give you a few more hp.

Truck use: The truck is a daily driver with very light loads. The most the truck will tow is my car and trailer to the race track, approx 6k lbs.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I dont want to take the easy route and just ask/pay for a tune. I want to learn. Thanks
    Last edited by angrygoat; 09-06-2012 at 04:46 AM.
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

I can't think of any better place to start.

HPT Gold

I did see that thread but no one had posted any results as far as how much power it would add. Most of the changes seem small, 10%-20%, so I'm not overly concerned but I do fear for my trannys life..hahaha. Have you ran these specific changes? Would there be any downside to running these changes without the 4 inch exhaust and CAI listed at the beginning?
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

"The goal of tuning is for the tune to run well enough you dont need any corrective mechanisms"

No fear on the mods. Read all of these...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38779
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

So I am a little lost. The first link posted a list of tables to change. However, I dont seem to be able to find the first few it says to change in my LLY. The first one says go to engine> tq management> general> change 2wd and 4wd hi to disable. Those choices arent shown in that table. It only shows Max Tq and Brake Tq Management to make changes to the ft.lbs allowed. Is it just my inexperience? I know this was for LBZ but read it should be the same.
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

So let's go back to learning this stuff. Can someone explain the look up tables for base injector timing? What is this table for? Break it down barney style please
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

If you check within the next hour and a half, ill have something for you... can't update right now
    Andrew

2006 Duramax ECSB - Banks Monster Dual Exhaust, Tie Rod Sleeves, Kennedy Twin Deluxe Lift Pumps, Edge Insight CTS with Pryo, EGR Blocker Plate, PVC Reroute, Suncoast Stage 5 trans with 1056 triple disk converter, Cognito Steering Braces, PPE Race Valve, LML driver side exhaust manifold, AFE Boost Tube, Stock Drop-in BatMoWheel, ProFab Performance 3" Downpipe, Other mods along the way, TUNED by ME... Way too much fun

Wait you want the timing tables? or do you want to know how it calculates the fueling?
    Andrew

D: all of the above sir

Anything you are wIlling to explain, I'm listening
    Joe
    2006 M6 GTO
    APS TT
    10.76@131

Send me an email at [email protected]. Ill tell a lot more in the email
    Andrew